- good reminder janet, i too have been getting mail with no content but with attachments. immediate delete button. i see where they got some of the nigerian scam artists in south africa. anyone who was sending them money can direct it my way. i have beachfront property in west texas cheap. windy and warm in corpus christi, moses
- When I lived in Los Yoses, San Jose, I used the mail service of aerocasillas having a Miami address. Over the years their service deteriorated rapidly.
I think the climax came about four years ago when I went in to their office to ask why I had not received a letter (containing money) sent to me from the Cayman Islands.
They searched in a back room, and produced a handful of letters and small packages. (Why had they never been delivered?) No, it was not among them. They looked some more, and produced another handful of mail. Still no Cayman letter. They searched a third time, again without luck, and assured me there was nothing else for me.
Okay, I said, how about a package sent from Vancouver. Oh, no, there's nothing else for you. What to do?
Two weeks later the Vancouver package appeared, backstamped with a rec'd date of four weeks earlier.
So I switched to Correos de Costa Rica, and acquired a POBox here in Atenas. To the best of my knowledge I have not missed a single thing in four years. Letters from Canada and the US never take more than 10 days to arrive. Packages from Amazon, for example, within a couple of weeks, even when mailed from Germany. My National Geographic magazine arrives on time, altho' some others are erratic, but I believe that has to do with the mailing rather than the receiving (one US mag was posted in India!)
I have received a few small parcels, and never had to pay customs duties.
Our postmistress in Atenas is a charming lady who goes absolutely by the book - no box key, no mail! But she will smilingly tell you if your box is empty or not.
Correos de Costa Rica is head and shoulders above Cortel, the old government run post office. Hurrah for private enterprise! Ron Tucker
At this season of the year, remember :
Wise men still seek Him!
Post your free ad now! Yahoo! Canada Personals
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
The glitch (send but not able to receive) is not with G-Mail it is with
I called and they said they were aware of the problem and are working on
I did not even tell them specifically what the problem was. I just said I am
having a problem and was interrupted with the "We Are Working On It song"
( same music as Michael Jacksons We Are the World) sung by a very talented
call center employee. I sang along with her as I now know the words of the
song by heart.
- QUESTION...... I HAVENT GOTTEN MY MAIL FROM THE U.S. NOW FOR THE LAST THREE MONTHS, WHEN I GO TO THE POST OFFICE , THEY TELL ME THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHERE MY MAIL IS, IS ANY ONE ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM, I LIVE IN GRECIA..THANKSRON SHOEMAKER
Ron, is there any chance that your mail is hung up in customs?
Author of Becoming an Expat: Costa Rica
- not getting your mail is not just a Grecia problem, over the years I have had the same problem in Escazu. I guess that about 15% of the mail does not make it to my PO Box.
- If US mail doesn't show up here, check every step of the way. Start by
checking the address written by the sender for you, as well as the
return address. Take these to the Correo and ask if your address is
correct according to them.
Suggest to people sending you mail that they put:
on the address. This stops most of the mis-sending to Puerto Rico. And
follow the advice of your local Correo. Not only will the address be
correct, but it will put you and your address in their memory.
I have received mail here that was sent to Puerto Rico, then Spain
before it finally got here.
The reason for checking the validity of the return address is to ensure
that if it was lost the chances of it being returned are maximized.
After all this, you can consider using a mail-drop and/or a postal box.