Diario Extra artcle on Swine Flu

  • Mike & Lara Mueller
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2009
      This is a Google Translation of an article my vetrinarian sent out to her clients. It made me feel a bit better about the current strain of the virus...

      Pura Salud!

      -- Mike

      Bethany Artavia

      Carlos Jimenez, and a PhD in veterinary virology from the UNA, said that the swine influenza H1N1 virus is not new and since 2000 studies in both Europe and United States indicate that the next pandemic virus out of that mix in pigs .

      Swine influenza virus that mutual concern for human beings, known as H1N1, can be prevented by hygienic measures and early detection is not fatal, said Carlos Jimenez, an expert in veterinary medicine and Ph.D. in virology at the School of Veterinary Medicine of the Universidad Nacional (UNA).

      Jimenez, who has a forum scheduled for today in the Auditorium of the UNA Clodomiro Picado, on methods of diagnosis and prevention of swine and human influenza, said that since 2000, studies indicate that the next pandemic should the virus originated in pigs because these animals are able to mix human virus, and birds themselves, acting as a test tube.

      How did the swine flu?
      - All Influenza is caused by a particular group of viruses called influenzavirus, especially type A, this is an international classification, and all these have influenza originated waterfowl: ducks, geese, swans, is the natural reservoir. Wild birds in their faeces contaminate water, grass and other birds. So if an animal eats grass that can become infected, so we have avian influenza and may also affect marine mammals and land. She recently gave an outbreak of equine influenza. The strain of equine influenza call Miami went to the dogs and that is why we have canine influenza. This shows that nature evolves.

      Are we facing a new kind of virus?
      - It's a new virus which since 2000 has been detected in pigs that were being that process of influenza virus that was stirring, incorporating genetic material from humans, poultry and pigs themselves. Now what we're facing a human influenza is born of a swine influenza. In 2000, independent studies were conducted separately in Europe and United States agreed to highlight this capability for pig mixing different types of influenza, saying that the next pandemic that face was there, but apparently put all eggs in a basket is called H5N1 avian influenza and we were wrong. It focused on avian influenza and swine influenza A/H1N1 appeared, which is causing alarm. Pandemics are caused by human viruses H1, H2 and H3.

      How to know when the pigs are sick?
      - The pigs sneeze, cough, nasal discharge them, are cold and stop eating when they are sick with influenza. Is different from swine fever, which also gives them bleeding. It is not necessary to slaughter when they are sick because the virus only affects the respiratory system.

      How long does it take to heal animals?
      - The pig that is kept in a relatively clean environment with good hygiene, where there are no abrupt changes in temperature, well-fed, where no other diseases or pests, with little stress on one or two weeks to cure. But instead it is in poor health in a polluted environment, subject to much stress, here come secondary infections caused by bacteria, they could die. The impact in pigs is related to the strain of the virus but also with how to maintain the animal's environment. The deadly H1N1 is not in general terms.

      What happens to the meat of the animal sick?
      - Nothing happens because the infection is targeted, but the ideal is that the slaughter of animals takes place in slaughterhouses, where there is an inspection process, are reviewed by the responsible veterinarian and only healthy animals become killing, if they find an animal ill, is removed and destroyed, not used. But the other is that the meat of the pig and what you do with it, such as sausage or bologna, it undergoes a process of cooking and the virus they walk around, eventually dies in the process. The same when cooking or frying meat.

      What happened on H1N1 to humans?
      - Several things were mixed. The pig has the flu, sneeze, cough or nasal discharge, a person necessarily had to have had contact with this virus and that infected that person. The virus adapts to the person and it starts to act like any flu, sneeze, cough, and mucus secreted in each drop of saliva moves the virus to other humans, that starts the chain. The first case was United States. Today, the pages of the CDC say that there are 64 cases diagnosed in United States, California, Texas, New York, Kansas and Ohio. In Mexico the first case was in Veracruz, he was a child, was detected in early April, but fell ill did not die, and is now next to explode.

      Is it a virus deadly to humans?
      - Influenza is a virus that tried in two or three days after the illness, not the incubation of the virus can be treated and cured. See that only in Mexico there have been cases of death, or it may be that people are arriving very late to health services, is in a state of malnutrition, overcrowding, stress, polluted environment, or you are attributing deaths are not the flu that so far there are only 20 confirmed cases in Mexico by this virus, the others are speculation, may be people who died of something else, was buried and did not evidence.

      What measures should be implemented in chancheras to avoid the flu?
      - The pigs at this time are not sick, there is already evidence that the virus is transmitted from human to human, pig and has no importance from the epidemiological point of view. Where a pig was in the mix that was passed to humans but it happened. Now we must focus on preventing the passage between humans.

      Can we rule out more cases of pig-to-person transmission?
      - There may be because it is already proven and we know that pigs can get virus from humans, we also have to work at the farms. All producers are vigilant, if febrile disease in animals, if there is respiratory illness should notify your vet, I hope to Senasa, to investigate the case. They will determine whether samples from blood, trachea or nose blowing. Improve biosecurity, restrict the access of people who have nothing to do with the farm, only the staff working on the farm should be.

      What measures recommended to prevent human-human infection?
      - The use of a tissue when you sneeze, or the shirt, if you do not have one handy, do not give a hand to others because if I have the virus brewing and sneezing, cover me with your hand, the virus remains in the drops of saliva that are in my hand if I give a hand to someone else, took the virus and that person touches their mouth, nose or eyes are infected. In case of infections, should reduce the crowds of people, churches, schools, courts, stadiums, because they imagine that there are 2 thousand people and a sneeze is enough to make a trail of viruses. We must wash your hands very well, it is essential for this trend to put their hands to the face.