Tips 4 leaving car parked 4 extended period?

  • Charlene
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2009
      I am leaving in mis may and will be out of Costa Rica for 5 1/2 months and will leave my car parked in the garage, covered and the house sitters will not be driving it.
      From all the ex Pats who leave their cars parked for extended periods, are there any tips that you can give me?
      Gas tank....empty or full?
      Oil......recently changed or better to do it when I get back?
      Hand brake........engaged or not?
      Battery.......disconnected or not?

      Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
      Thank you

      Charlene Fertig
      Sales & Rentals of Apts, Condos & Homes
      Home/Office (506) 2-220-0361 Cell (506) 8-825-2604

    • paul wessen
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2009
        I'm no mechanic (as my empty wallet will attest), but I recently spent six weeks in the States, and when I returned, the car's drive wheel wouldn't move.  Turns out that the parking brake had frozen in the ON position.  My mechanic said it's a common problem.  Best to chock the wheels with rocks.

        I'll leave the rest of your question to the experts who are likely on the board.   Have a great trip!

        ---------- Paul in San Antonio de Escazu

        _._,___

      • adiejw
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2009
          > Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
          > Thank you
          >

          > Charlene Fertig

          I am also not a mechanic, but have learned/heard that you should probably disconnect the battery (in 5 1/2 months it will probably be discharged keeping the electronics on), if you will not have it moved in the meantime, remove the wheels to prevent the tires from getting a flat side, be very careful regarding the oil as all will have drained down from the guts of the engine into the oilpan--you might suffer some real damage running the engine until the oil gets pumped up to the cylinders, etc.

          Best advice, contact a reputable mechanic or a dealership here or in the States for direction.

          Hope this helps

          Jim
        • mtbikercr
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2009
            I have alot of experiance with this. It is a long list so I will send it to you in an email.
            Douglas
          • Steve Kaufman
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2009
              Leave the gas tank full. Less chance for water condensation in the tank.