Anonymous browsing

  • David Lovelady
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
      What products do you all use to keep various websites from knowing where you are? Some websites fail for me with messages like: the content you wish to see is not available outside the U.S. (Most notably, much NBC related video).

      A few months ago one person recommended http://www.gotrusted.com/ but no one else ever commented. I would like to hear from more than one person before putting something on my computer. Any other products providing this service will also be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      David
    • Roger Jenkins
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
        The FEW people who have dies from this flu, except for a toddler in texas, have been in the 25-45 age group.  It appears this flu virus causes something called cytokine storm. In other words, the massive amount of white blood cells produced migrate quickly to the lungs and start attacking the lungs, thus causing respitory problems.  The better your immune system is, the worse this can happen.  (Hence the 25-45 age group).  Time to weaken your immune system a little bit.     Who would of thought?

      • Leland Rothwell
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
          Hi,

          I think Metropipe tunnell is the best for what you are wanting.

          I also have an ICE activated cell phone line and comes with new Motorola phone with charger. It does the texting, email, etc. The line is your to keep and you can pay the bill at ICE or anyplace that accepts payments for them. Price is $200.00
           "I Can Only Imagine"
          lelandrothwell@...

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1 10:48 AM
            RE: GoTrusted

            I saw the same post about gotrusted and tried it. We use it now on 2 computers. It costs about $5 a month. I have heard that there are other ways to do it for free, but since this worked fine without complicating anything on the computers we are happy. We haven't encountered any problems since using it either.

            Hope this helps,
            Barbara
          • Sally
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1 12:11 PM
              I bought Anonymizer, $50/year. It gets me a U.S. IP so I can get into the real estate tax records in FL.

              But it doesn't fool any other website - can't get Hulu or Amazon or (now) Jon Stewart. I've tried metropipe - slow as Xmas (2 years ago) and wouldn't work for Hulu. Over the years, I've tried a couple of other things, too, but nothing worked for the video sites. I finally gave up.

              I am so bummed that suddenly this week I can no longer get Jon Stewart. He was good for a late night chuckle..
            • Steven Huffstutlar
              Message 6 of 12 , May 1 12:29 PM
                In order to get Hulu in CR I signed up for Wikitopia VPN  for $39.99 per year. It makes you appear to be in Arlington, VA. It works well but it has some disadvantages:

                --It substitutes itself for Open DNS

                --It kicks you off if you don't use your keyboard for 20 minutes, and you have to log on to Wikitopia again, which is not always easy (it can take several attempts, and you may have to get back on Open DNS just to get through)

                --It does not allow you to use a wireless router or more than one computer at a time, unless you buy their "cloaking" router and higher priced subscription

                --The distance to their server in VA may slow your connection down

                I am thinking of canceling the service if someone can come up with a better alternative.

              • Leland Rothwell
                Message 7 of 12 , May 1 11:12 PM
                  Hi,

                  I suggest you use metropipe tunnel and that will msolve all your problems.

                  Also have cell pnones for sale to anyone that needs a cellular phone. It is your to keep and you pay the bill normally.

                  email leland03@...
                   "I Can Only Imagine"
                  lelandrothwell@...

                • Leland Rothwell
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 1 11:19 PM
                    Hello,

                    If you have tried metropipe then you evidently did not know what you were doing. I have used metropipe for years and have had nothing but the best of service from them. I get a feeling that you don't know exactly what you are talking about. Not saying I am a know-it-all but my experience with metropipe for years is testimony enough.

                     "I Can Only Imagine"
                    lelandrothwell@...

                    ________________________________
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 2 4:42 AM
                      --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "David Lovelady" <cachidll@...> wrote:

                      > What products do you all use to keep various websites from knowing where you are?

                      So here is where I am now on this. Several folks responded, both on and off group. A friend of mine uses the $100/year of anonymizer.com and is pleased. One person had a poor expereince with the $50/year version of anonymizer.com. Two people said they had good experience with gotrusted.com. One person recommended metropipe, but did not say if he is in Costa Rica. One gotrusted.com user has CableTica internet service; for none of the others do I know if they have ICE, Amnet, CableTica, or an illegal service. One person even said to another that if one has trouble with his recommended solution "then you evidently did not know what you were doing". How charitable.

                      So last night I put GoTrusted on Charlotte's computer (she has the larger screen and that is where we watch The Daily Show). We successfully watched two episodes from last week of The Daily Show. The speed seemed fine. I started a Hulu video just to see if I could. It seemed fine, but it was late and I was tired and I stopped it after 5 minutes. I checked to see if GoTrusted had somehow knocked her off the DNS servers of OpenDNS (we use 208.67.220.220 as primary, 208.67.222.222 as secondary). Those settings had not been disturbed.

                      Several responders said that one service or another worked fine for a week or two or three, and then no longer worked, not always for clear reasons. If our success here collapses, I will post that on CRL.

                      Happy Saturday to all,

                      David
                    • itwebexperts
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 2 6:10 AM
                        I use Witopia as well on their $39.99 package, however it does let me use my wireless router, I'm not sure why yours doesn't. I use it to watch Hulu, and it actually let's me connect twice, once on my laptop and once on my other laptop at the same time as long as it's the same IP address (it is since both laptops share the same DSL connection through my router).
                      • David Lovelady
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 2 6:40 AM
                          --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "itwebexperts" <kjavitz@...> wrote:

                          > I use Witopia as well on their $39.99 package

                          What part of Costa Rica are you in?

                          David
                        • Ed Reames
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 2 7:47 AM
                            Here is a web site that specializes on this subject.

                            http://www.how-to-hide-ip.info/