crime free Santa Ana - NOT

  • Art Sulenski
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 27, 2009
      Someone has been posting about how crime free Santa Ana is, well here is an article in AM Costa Rica today about crime there,
      "Chavarria in Santa Ana said that geography plays a role. That community is near Alajuelita and Pavas, both areas that have more than their fair share of criminals. Chavarria estimated that his officers respond to from 30 to 40 robberies a month in just Santa Ana."

      Art
    • Doug Ward
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 28, 2009
        No piggybacking, please delete the message you are replying to. The subject line is sufficient.
        -Moderator

        LOL.............That's only the gringos who wasted their time calling.................or had good seguros.
        errrrr. Oh sorry. your 57 inch widescreen is ...was...6 months old. we can only give you $75

        Ticos won't even waste their time calling The Badged Wonders and travelling to beg oIJ to come out and do absolutely nothing.

        Just make damn sure you don't wear shorts when visiting someone in the hospital.Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad You !!!
      • daniel
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 28, 2009
          yes Art

          the problem that some one had posted a false report message
          yes their is crime not only in Santa Ana all over

          as your can see in the artilce on am pm you can see it mettions about false reports

          Despite sitting ducks, some bandits adopt creative methods
          http://www.amcostarica.com/monday.htm

          Chavarria in Santa Ana said that geography plays a role. That community is near Alajuelita and Pavas, both areas that have more than their fair share of criminals. Chavarria estimated that his officers respond to from 30 to 40 robberies a month in just Santa Ana.

          Customers are getting nervous, too. A false report circulating on the Internet claimed that bandits held up

          Bacchus restaurant. Chavarria said that what happened Tuesday at 9:30 p.m. was that men in a car fired shots at the restaurant guard and wounded him twice. Police believe the motive for the attack was to take the firearm of the private security guard. Locals may have confused this case with that of Rock 'n Roll Pollo, which is nearby.
        • John and Carmen Stuart
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 29, 2009
            To experience some of the wildlife of CR would I be correct in
            assuming that the
            high-end tourist attractions like the suspended bridges and zip-line
            canopy tours of Monteverde
            would offer few sightings of natural wildlife because of the amount of
            tourists invading the forest?

            Sometimes the best experiences are in less visited areas.
            Any suggestions if I am right?
            carmen stuart
            Dawsonville, Ga. US
          • ojochal1
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 29, 2009
              --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, John and Carmen Stuart <johnandcarmen@...> wrote:

              > would I be correct in
              > assuming that the
              > high-end tourist attractions
              > would offer few sightings

              Yes, but areas like Monteverde are very beautiful for reasons other than just critters

              > Sometimes the best experiences are in less visited areas.
              > Any suggestions if I am right?

              Be prepared to rough it a bit and travel lighter, think about the season of the year (rainy or not), consider how much time you have on one trip and maybe think about prioritizing for a second one, and think Osa!

              BTW have you gotten the Lonely Planet Guide. There are many great ones out there but I started with it and they have always provided great information to help me make decisions where ever I have gone.

              http://www.lonelyplanet.com/costa-rica
            • John and Carmen Stuart
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 29, 2009
                Thank you all for the tips and advice from what to carry, how to carry
                it, and what to expect.
                Like any first time traveler I want a little bit of everything from
                the roughing it to the great hotel with
                all the extra frills.
                This group is practical, informative and funny! It has been a hoot
                just to listen and learn.
                I still am wondering if I will be allowed to bring back some flower
                seed .

                I like to offer something to the children I meet without making the
                parents worry.
                I also will try to bring some masks from the states in case anyone I
                come across needs them.

                I am not worried in the least about the flu in CR,... only the
                confined, recirculated air that exposes us all to every single
                germ that is harbored by any of the passengers and crew on the airplane.
                carmen stuart
              • henry kantrowitz
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 29, 2009

                  carmen wrote:  "To experience some of the wildlife of CR would I be correct in
                  assuming that the high-end tourist attractions like the suspended bridges and zip-line
                  canopy tours of Monteverde would offer few sightings of natural wildlife because of the amount of tourists invading the forest"
                  The ziplines and suspended bridges in general do scare away much of the mammal life.   The bridges on the other hand can offer possible better viewing of some birdlife.  The zip lines are just for the adrenalin rush is all.  You won't seem much of anything around zip lines cause it does scare away most everything.
                  Monteverde does offer an incredible forest to walk through.  So does Santa Elena park near by.  The highlight is the vegetation which you won't see in other rainforests.  also it is a place to see the Resplendent Quetzal which migrates there from December to April.   Much more can be seen regarding wildlife in other areas of the country.
                  The osa and Tortaguero are great places to see wildlife.  The best place I know to see  four species of monkeys and other mammals is Bosque del Cabo in the Osa Peninsula.  It is quite incredible.   Or check out the lodge next to it El Romanso it is cheaper but the views aren't as spectacualar as Bosque del Cabo and the amviance is different.
                  henry

                • alegrus
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 29, 2009
                    Visited Monteverde last year and went to Selvatura Park through the walking bridges and the views were simply spectacular. There is limited wildlife as the canopy usually zips parallel to the bridges. On the other hand, we did see some birds and possiblely a quetzal. We also visited the National Park and that was really neat. If you walk to end you are on continental divide that spans the Americas and apparently on a clear day you can see both coasts. I understand that tour companies avoid taking people to the National Park because they get more commision by taking people to the private ones instead.
                  • Roger Jenkins
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 29, 2009
                      Did monteverde last march. Nightime tour, heard howler monkeys and saw a huge tarantula. Next day did a cloud forest tour, saw some cool birds (including a couple quetzals). I asked both guides if they ever see snakes or scorpions and they answered rarely. Snakes a few times a month at most.    Do not stay at the el sapo dorado.

                    • orosi_riley
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 29, 2009
                        Carmen,
                        The "road less traveled" is a hour from the International Airport (SJO), in Orosi. We are located 7 miles east of Cartago. The local Indians say that "Orosi fell from Heaven and the rich soil was kissed by God." I think they are correct. Come see us.
                        Best Regards,
                        Steve Riley
                        www.vrbo.com/97733
                        For thinhgs to do in the valley see: http://www.paradisepeak.com/localtours.htm
                      • marcia432
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 30, 2009
                          What was wrong with the Sapo Dorado?
                        • John and Carmen Stuart
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 1 6:06 AM
                            > Has the Waterfall garden reopened from the tragedy of the Jan.
                            > earthquake?
                            I go to the website but still cannot tell if it has been restored.
                            carmen stuart
                            > : .

                          • Dixie Hamilton
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 1 7:03 AM
                              I spoke with a friend last week who is a private driver. He said that La Paz
                              Waterfall Gardens is not open yet.

                              Dixie
                              Sabanilla de Alajuela

                              On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 7:06 AM, John and Carmen Stuart <

                            • Roger Jenkins
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 1 9:17 AM
                                What's wrong with the sapodorado?

                                My opinion, but read the reviews.  The staff is not that friendly and if you want to walk down to the disco it is like scaling down a rocky mountain.   As for cleanliness etc, that was fine