Pilates definition.

  • jerryland1j@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2002
      Thanks a bunch to you Roy for explaining finally what Pilates are. I was all set to go out and buy Preparation H. :)

      Jerry

    • Cassandra
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 9:39 AM
        I'm sorry, but as someone who has practiced both Pilates and yoga,
        I have to disagree with Roy. Pilates is NOT related to yoga in
        any way except perhaps as in the movements are slow.

        Developed in the 1920s by the legendary physical trainer and
        founder of the Pilates Studio, Joseph H. Pilates, The Pilates
        Method is an exercise system focused on improving flexibility
        and strength for the total body without building bulk. Not
        surprisingly, some of the first people to use the Pilates Method
        were dancers such as Martha Graham and George Balanchine.
        The Pilates Method is not just exercise, however. It is a series
        of controlled movements engaging your body and mind,
        performed on specifically designed exercise apparatus and
        supervised by extensively trained teachers.
        The above is an excerpt from http://www.pilates-studio.com/

        Cassandra