Hernia surgery

  • Sharon Wallace
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 15, 2009
      My husband had a left inguinal hernia repair in December, and we were happy with the doc/hospital/outcome. The surgery turned out to be more complicated than it first seemed, and that was dealt with very well.

      The surgeon is Dr. Oscar Arguello, located at Clinica Biblica and, I think, at CIMA. His office is at Biblica, where the surgery was done. For various reasons we decided on an open, rather than arthroscopic, procedure, which turned out to be better for Dick's particular situation. It was done as an outpatient procedure, at our request. I felt better caring for him post-op myself, but I'm a physician. The costs were in the $2500 range.

      Dr. Arguello speaks fluent English, and gave excellent pre-and post-op care, including phone calls and office follow-up. He's Board-Certified in the U.S. as well as having his practice here, and still travels to Colorado to fill in for his ex-partners there when they vacation.

      Dick made a full recovery, and is running up and down the hills on the finca without any problems.

      Feel free to email me, but that's basically our experience.

      Sharon

    • Scott
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 16, 2013
        Ok...i have been dealing with the caja trying to get a hernia surgery. So far two years of doing tests and jumping hoops ...today I had my meetimg at Calderon to go over the presurgery details and then got my instructions to get all the tests done again for the 3rd ime and in 13 months go for the registration for the surgery....So.....I was wondering if anyone has used the private hospitals for a inguinal hernia surgery. And curious what it would cost??? Any advise???referrals?
      • marcus collier
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 16, 2013
          I had one at the Biblica several years agoIt cost about $2,500 total.Marcus

        • Mark Sydney
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 17, 2013
            For this procedure, I recommend Dr. Jacobo Zafrani, one of Central America's most eminient bariatric surgeons (he operated on Laura Chinchilla a year and a half ago, by the way. It takes about an hour.

            The approximate cost of the procedure at California Hospital with Dr. Zafrani, including hospital stay, doctor fees and pre-ops is:

            $6,700 USD unilateral laparoscopic inguinal hernia

            $8,000 bi-lateral inguinal hernia.

            The approximate price at Hospital Clínica Bíblica is: $8,250 USD for unilateral and $9,900 for bi-lateral inguinal hernia.

            The procedure includes:

            ·         Medication during surgery and on post-op discharge
            ·         Consultation with an internist
            ·         Blood work
            ·         Pre-op and post-op consultations
            ·         Doctor costs
            ·         Hospital costs

            Call me and I can give you his contact info.

            Mark Sydney
            mark.sydney@...
            San José, Costa Rica
            +506 8346-9437