One Group Question/One CR Question

  • johnsmcgill1040
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2009
      Hi - My first question is to see if anyone has suggestions. I am
      thinking of travelling to CR to spend some time travelling the region
      in order to choose a location to move to. My first destination is Lake
      Arenal. Has anyone simply rented a villa and a car for a month and
      gone from there? I have also heard that there are organized trips you
      can book which will tour you around the area for a week or so and give
      different presentations. I am just wondering which route people have
      tried (or any other sugestions).
      Secondly - since I am new to any group; how do you follow answers to
      your posts? I find that I am signing on and getting all the posts from
      the day. Does everyone read through all of the posts in order to find
      any answers to the ones that you yourself have posted? Perhaps I have
      some setting wrong someplace.
      Thanks for your help/advice. John
    • David Lovelady
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2009
        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "johnsmcgill1040"
        <johnsmcgill@...> wrote:

        > Does everyone read through all of the posts in order to find
        > any answers to the ones that you yourself have posted?

        It is easy if you read the messages from the website, instead of
        receiving individual emails. When you have your message, for example,
        open on your screen, scroll down to see whatever thread it has
        generated. Then click on any of those responses which interest you.

        David
      • johnsmcgill1040
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2009
          Edited to remove piggybacking - please remove the message you are replying to - typically the subject line is sufficient. Thank you! Moderator

          Thanks David - I also checked off 'receive emails to posts' - your
          response came as an email to me. Thanks again for taking the time.
        • Alajuelanorth
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2009
            Why rent in one location if you are scouting multiple places?

            Rent a room at a hotel for 1 night in whatever area you are looking
            and cut a deal to stay a week if you like the area . . . there are a
            LOT of hotels with vacancies as the globular recession deepens . . .
            Berni
          • Arp Laszlo
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31, 2009
              If you go during the green (ie not high) season, you may want do as
              backpackers do and not plan the whole trip out. You can call ahead to find
              a place to stay and give yourself the flexibility to stay for longer or
              shorter times. For example, when we took our scouting trip, we planned 7
              days out of 30 - the first 6 and the last day. For the rest of the time, we
              had researched a few hotels in various areas and called ahead as needed. It
              was pretty nice to change scenery when we felt we ready to move on.
              Berni's got a good point too - if there are a lot of vacancies due to the
              recession, you could try this during high season too.
              One more thing: don't be afraid to leave a place if you're not digging it.
              You'll have to trust your gut on this. I would not waste a moment in a
              place if the experience is negative or unfulfilling.

              Arp

              Read our Costa Rica story-in-the-making at www.tinygrass.com

            • johnsmcgill1040
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
                Hi - Thanks for the advice/information. I have made note of the
                website you mentioned and am looking forward to reading it. John