Re: Living in Costa Rica with "Americans"

  • David Lovelady
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
      --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Shari" <shari@...> wrote:

      > Why is it that your American bashing post is
      > appropriate for the Costa Rica Living site?

      I presume many people have answered this off-group, but against the
      possibility that they have not, I will. On the last day of each
      month, the "please keep your posts focused on Costa Rica" rule is
      suspended for 24 hours.

      Even in other times, that rule is tough to enforce since the
      Moderators cannot read every post before the fact and some folks seem
      driven by forces they cannot control to make the group about something
      else (whatever is on their mind that day). But the Moderators try.

      Welcome, and Happy New Year.

      David
    • Mary and Jeff Hickcox
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
        Shari,.

        It is not normally OK but the last day of every month is an anything goes day.  So yesterday was that day and indeed anything goes.  If you don't like those posts then just try and remember to not read on that day.  But normally you won't see that stuff!

        Mary
        mama to Dylan (9), Colin (5) and Theo Benjamin (born 8-28-07)

        _,_._,___

      • Shari
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
          Anything Goes Day...

          Call it bad timing on my part...it's the day I chose to spend reading
          through archives.

          I appreciate you folks letting me in on the "last day of the month" thing.

          Overall, 95% of the posts and information I've found here has been
          very helpful. The American bashing just gets so old. (I didn't vote
          for the last President either...by the way.)

          Onwards into into the new potential of 2009.

          Thanks,
          Shari
        • blackdan76
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
            My favorite trait of the Ticos is many will tell you what you want to
            here. They are also friendly about doing so.

            I don't think the actual author of the  piece faluchi posted
            meant to be putting American's down although faluchi seemed to be.

            The excerpt is from Stephanie Faul's "The Xenophobe's Guide to the
            Americans"

            Here is another excerpt;

            It's not a 'good day' unless it's a 'good hair day' When asked in a
            survey what they notice first in a potential mate, the answer from both
            than having a college education or a men and women was hair. Having good
            hair is more important happy family.

            Here is where to find reviews of Stephanie Faul's book at Amazon;

            http://tinyurl.com/997g8v

            One of my pet peeves is posting passages from books and not citing
            source.

            The Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans

            by Stephanie Faul
            A guide to understanding the Americans which dispels or confirms
            preconceived prejudices with humour and insight.

            Stephanie Faul lives in Washington, D.C., where she works in public
            relations as a `talking head'. Growing up in the nation's
            capital has given her a unique perspective on the foibles and quirks of
            her compatriots and has confirmed her belief in Bismarck's remark
            that laws are like sausages: it's better not to see them being made.

            Ms Faul is a typical product of American hybrid vigour: half Czech
            immigrant, half Connecticut Yankee, with a German-speaking grandmother
            and a Canadian cousin. Her xenophobic perceptions were heightened by an
            education in a French primary school, a Swiss boarding school, and
            college summers spent drinking beer in English pubs. At home she enjoys
            African music, Vietnamese food, Italian footwear, Siamese cats, and
            English novels.

          • Barry Stevens
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
              --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "fraluchi" <fraluchi@...>
              wrote:

              > ... a wise traveller
              > realises that a few happy moments with an American do not translate
              > into a permanent commitment of any kind.

              Two things that may be relevant, both previously posted...

              After "significant contacts" with locals here extending over 5
              years, it became very obvious that Americans are "barely tolerated"
              here. When we're spending money, there's smiles and handshakes.
              However, don't make any assumptions. Friendships take a long time to
              develop as stereotypes are painstakingly overcome. As an example
              where this was validated by (yet another) Tica, see message 61389
              for a story in which a Tica validates this, even at the cost of
              great personal pain to herself.

              Most Americans have no idea why this would be so. I ran into a
              really obvious example at an internet cafe in Escazu, and posted the
              story - if you're interested, see message 32764

              Barry Stevens
              ElPuente
              School help, food, microloans
              http://www.elpuente-thebridge.org
            • Art Sulenski
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
                > it became very obvious that Americans are "barely tolerated"
                > here. When we're spending money, there's smiles and handshakes.

                Barry,

                There is truth in what you say. There are times I wish I could do
                something about the ugly gringos that I see and hear. There are some
                who think that because they have two nickels to rub together they
                should be able to have everything their way. I'm sure they were the
                same way in the states but here they are giving all gringos a black
                eye. I see them on the road all the time in their SUVs as they bully
                their way down the road. I am very fortunate that we hired a Tico
                contractor and crew. He has come to know that I am not that type of
                person. He takes me to the places that he does business and
                introduces me to the Ticos there and gets me very good discounts. I
                have returned to these same Tico businesses to buy things when he is
                not along and I still get treated the same. I have seen other gringos
                do business in the same places, some get discounts while others are
                just tolerated. It makes me proud to walk into a business and have
                the owner or manager come and shake my hand. Even the people at the
                bank have come to know me somewhat and see to it that I get the help
                I need. I'm am just an ordinary person on SS retirement but to a lot
                of Ticos we have a lot of money. I do my best to not look or act
                improperly. I am glad that many of the Ticos know we are not all ugly
                gringos, the sad part is it doesn't take but a few rotten apples to
                spoil the look of the rest of the gringos to the Tico population. I
                am but a guest here, soon I hope to receive my cedula then in time to
                be a permanent resident. I came here because of the Tico lifestyle, a
                place where I can make friends and spend the rest of my life. I hope
                that I am the kind of person that my Tico neighbors like.

                Art
              • Shari
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
                  --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Stevens"
                  <barrystevens@...> wrote:

                  ... I ran into a
                  > really obvious example at an internet cafe in Escazu, and posted the
                  > story - if you're interested, see message 32764

                  Barry,

                  That was a great story. By the way, I'm doing my best to learn Spanish
                  solo using Rosetta Stone, Latin American Spanish. Any thoughts?

                  Shari
                • David Lovelady
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 2, 2009
                    --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Shari" <shari@...> wrote:

                    > That was a great story.

                    I have seen the rude U.S. visitors just as all of you all have, and I
                    have sometimes cringed at their behavior. But I believe we should be
                    careful about assuming that in a conflict between two people of
                    different nationalities, one can determine who is "the right person"
                    and who is the "the wrong person" by nationality.

                    It is rarely that simple.

                    David
                  • Barry Stevens
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 2, 2009
                      --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Shari" <shari@...> wrote:

                      > ... I'm doing my best to learn Spanish
                      > solo using Rosetta Stone, Latin American Spanish. Any thoughts?

                      I tried at first with a 5-CD language course that I could use on my
                      computer. Nothing really "took" until I got out and started talking.

                      At first, it was... shall we say... "fun".

                      Example - I went into the local ferreteria, with a notebook and
                      pencil. Having some trouble with my order, I drew a picture of what
                      I wanted to buy. The clerk's eyes opened wide, he smiled, and took
                      the picture back into the stockroom. Laughter came from one
                      corner... a short wait, and laughter came from the other corner...
                      then he disappeared into the office, and laughter came over the
                      partition surrounding the office. THEN... he came out of the office
                      and showed a few customers in line behind me. By this time,
                      everybody in the place was chuckling. Several people were teaching
                      me what the right phrases were. I bought my pipes and valves, and
                      made some new friends that day.

                      Another example - we deal with a large population of indigenous, and
                      one adult male, father of 7 of the children in our School Program,
                      came to our gate very drunk. I went out to send him home, since we
                      don't allow drunks around The Bridge. After a few words, I said in a
                      loud voice "Vamanos a su casa!" He looked startled, then surprised,
                      then resigned. He shrugged, put his arm on my shoulder, and simply
                      gestured toward the path leading into the jungle. He was expecting
                      me to go home with him! I excused myself and went inside my house
                      and asked Nanci how I'd done. She said "it went well - until you
                      invited yourself to his home!" Ah well... the learning continues!