Re: Living in Costa Rica with "Americans"

  • eckel
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 31, 2008
      Hi Shari and welcome to CRL! This is just a quick note to let you
      know that today was Anything Goes Day - one day a month where you can
      talk about anything, not just Costa Rica.

      We announced it a couple of times this week, you must have missed it.

      Hope that helps explain any confusion!

      And on that note, we will be ending Anything Goes Day until next month!

      Best,

      Nora
    • David Lovelady
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Shari" <shari@...> wrote:

        > Why is it that your American bashing post is
        > appropriate for the Costa Rica Living site?

        I presume many people have answered this off-group, but against the
        possibility that they have not, I will. On the last day of each
        month, the "please keep your posts focused on Costa Rica" rule is
        suspended for 24 hours.

        Even in other times, that rule is tough to enforce since the
        Moderators cannot read every post before the fact and some folks seem
        driven by forces they cannot control to make the group about something
        else (whatever is on their mind that day). But the Moderators try.

        Welcome, and Happy New Year.

        David
      • Mary and Jeff Hickcox
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
          Shari,.

          It is not normally OK but the last day of every month is an anything goes day.  So yesterday was that day and indeed anything goes.  If you don't like those posts then just try and remember to not read on that day.  But normally you won't see that stuff!

          Mary
          mama to Dylan (9), Colin (5) and Theo Benjamin (born 8-28-07)

          _,_._,___

        • Shari
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
            Anything Goes Day...

            Call it bad timing on my part...it's the day I chose to spend reading
            through archives.

            I appreciate you folks letting me in on the "last day of the month" thing.

            Overall, 95% of the posts and information I've found here has been
            very helpful. The American bashing just gets so old. (I didn't vote
            for the last President either...by the way.)

            Onwards into into the new potential of 2009.

            Thanks,
            Shari
          • blackdan76
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
              My favorite trait of the Ticos is many will tell you what you want to
              here. They are also friendly about doing so.

              I don't think the actual author of the  piece faluchi posted
              meant to be putting American's down although faluchi seemed to be.

              The excerpt is from Stephanie Faul's "The Xenophobe's Guide to the
              Americans"

              Here is another excerpt;

              It's not a 'good day' unless it's a 'good hair day' When asked in a
              survey what they notice first in a potential mate, the answer from both
              than having a college education or a men and women was hair. Having good
              hair is more important happy family.

              Here is where to find reviews of Stephanie Faul's book at Amazon;

              http://tinyurl.com/997g8v

              One of my pet peeves is posting passages from books and not citing
              source.

              The Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans

              by Stephanie Faul
              A guide to understanding the Americans which dispels or confirms
              preconceived prejudices with humour and insight.

              Stephanie Faul lives in Washington, D.C., where she works in public
              relations as a `talking head'. Growing up in the nation's
              capital has given her a unique perspective on the foibles and quirks of
              her compatriots and has confirmed her belief in Bismarck's remark
              that laws are like sausages: it's better not to see them being made.

              Ms Faul is a typical product of American hybrid vigour: half Czech
              immigrant, half Connecticut Yankee, with a German-speaking grandmother
              and a Canadian cousin. Her xenophobic perceptions were heightened by an
              education in a French primary school, a Swiss boarding school, and
              college summers spent drinking beer in English pubs. At home she enjoys
              African music, Vietnamese food, Italian footwear, Siamese cats, and
              English novels.

            • Barry Stevens
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
                --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "fraluchi" <fraluchi@...>
                wrote:

                > ... a wise traveller
                > realises that a few happy moments with an American do not translate
                > into a permanent commitment of any kind.

                Two things that may be relevant, both previously posted...

                After "significant contacts" with locals here extending over 5
                years, it became very obvious that Americans are "barely tolerated"
                here. When we're spending money, there's smiles and handshakes.
                However, don't make any assumptions. Friendships take a long time to
                develop as stereotypes are painstakingly overcome. As an example
                where this was validated by (yet another) Tica, see message 61389
                for a story in which a Tica validates this, even at the cost of
                great personal pain to herself.

                Most Americans have no idea why this would be so. I ran into a
                really obvious example at an internet cafe in Escazu, and posted the
                story - if you're interested, see message 32764

                Barry Stevens
                ElPuente
                School help, food, microloans
                http://www.elpuente-thebridge.org
              • Art Sulenski
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
                  > it became very obvious that Americans are "barely tolerated"
                  > here. When we're spending money, there's smiles and handshakes.

                  Barry,

                  There is truth in what you say. There are times I wish I could do
                  something about the ugly gringos that I see and hear. There are some
                  who think that because they have two nickels to rub together they
                  should be able to have everything their way. I'm sure they were the
                  same way in the states but here they are giving all gringos a black
                  eye. I see them on the road all the time in their SUVs as they bully
                  their way down the road. I am very fortunate that we hired a Tico
                  contractor and crew. He has come to know that I am not that type of
                  person. He takes me to the places that he does business and
                  introduces me to the Ticos there and gets me very good discounts. I
                  have returned to these same Tico businesses to buy things when he is
                  not along and I still get treated the same. I have seen other gringos
                  do business in the same places, some get discounts while others are
                  just tolerated. It makes me proud to walk into a business and have
                  the owner or manager come and shake my hand. Even the people at the
                  bank have come to know me somewhat and see to it that I get the help
                  I need. I'm am just an ordinary person on SS retirement but to a lot
                  of Ticos we have a lot of money. I do my best to not look or act
                  improperly. I am glad that many of the Ticos know we are not all ugly
                  gringos, the sad part is it doesn't take but a few rotten apples to
                  spoil the look of the rest of the gringos to the Tico population. I
                  am but a guest here, soon I hope to receive my cedula then in time to
                  be a permanent resident. I came here because of the Tico lifestyle, a
                  place where I can make friends and spend the rest of my life. I hope
                  that I am the kind of person that my Tico neighbors like.

                  Art
                • Shari
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
                    --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Stevens"
                    <barrystevens@...> wrote:

                    ... I ran into a
                    > really obvious example at an internet cafe in Escazu, and posted the
                    > story - if you're interested, see message 32764

                    Barry,

                    That was a great story. By the way, I'm doing my best to learn Spanish
                    solo using Rosetta Stone, Latin American Spanish. Any thoughts?

                    Shari
                  • David Lovelady
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 2, 2009
                      --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Shari" <shari@...> wrote:

                      > That was a great story.

                      I have seen the rude U.S. visitors just as all of you all have, and I
                      have sometimes cringed at their behavior. But I believe we should be
                      careful about assuming that in a conflict between two people of
                      different nationalities, one can determine who is "the right person"
                      and who is the "the wrong person" by nationality.

                      It is rarely that simple.

                      David
                    • Barry Stevens
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 2, 2009
                        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Shari" <shari@...> wrote:

                        > ... I'm doing my best to learn Spanish
                        > solo using Rosetta Stone, Latin American Spanish. Any thoughts?

                        I tried at first with a 5-CD language course that I could use on my
                        computer. Nothing really "took" until I got out and started talking.

                        At first, it was... shall we say... "fun".

                        Example - I went into the local ferreteria, with a notebook and
                        pencil. Having some trouble with my order, I drew a picture of what
                        I wanted to buy. The clerk's eyes opened wide, he smiled, and took
                        the picture back into the stockroom. Laughter came from one
                        corner... a short wait, and laughter came from the other corner...
                        then he disappeared into the office, and laughter came over the
                        partition surrounding the office. THEN... he came out of the office
                        and showed a few customers in line behind me. By this time,
                        everybody in the place was chuckling. Several people were teaching
                        me what the right phrases were. I bought my pipes and valves, and
                        made some new friends that day.

                        Another example - we deal with a large population of indigenous, and
                        one adult male, father of 7 of the children in our School Program,
                        came to our gate very drunk. I went out to send him home, since we
                        don't allow drunks around The Bridge. After a few words, I said in a
                        loud voice "Vamanos a su casa!" He looked startled, then surprised,
                        then resigned. He shrugged, put his arm on my shoulder, and simply
                        gestured toward the path leading into the jungle. He was expecting
                        me to go home with him! I excused myself and went inside my house
                        and asked Nanci how I'd done. She said "it went well - until you
                        invited yourself to his home!" Ah well... the learning continues!