Re: [CostaRicaLiving] volunteering

  • KALI752@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2002
      You can always volunteer at the Coranado animal shelter. They always can use
      some help. :o) Kali
    • ira stephenson
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 9 7:17 AM
        I'm looking for somewhere to volunteer some weekly time...appox 20 hrs--
        -i live in Alajuela....no car.....and minimal Spanish.....anywhere as
        long as i can ride a bus to get there.....any day or time....
      • ajeepsea2002
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 9 6:43 PM
          Try Amigos de Las Aves, it is in Alajuela. Pasito/La Giralda area,
          back road that leads to Rio Segundo. With the air fares so high, there
          has been a shortage of volunteers coming from Europe.
          Look at last weeks posting on The Passing of Margot, for a phone number.

          MariAn
          > I'm looking for somewhere to volunteer some weekly time...appox 20 hrs--
        • Frances Kitten Jones
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 10 10:01 AM
            If you are anywhere near Atenas we can always use volunteers here at Lighthouse Animal Rescue to help socialize, bathe, etc.

            God bless you,

            Kitten and all the fuzzbutts

            Please visit our web site at www.lighthouseanimalrescue.com

            or see our adoptable pets at http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/lar.html

            God has dominion over man.

            He gave man dominion over the animals.

            Shouldn�t we treat them like we want God to treat us?

            Frances �Kitten� Jones

            If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

            Revolution Books

            A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

            -Thomas Jefferson

          • baggus1
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 30, 2014
              A Scots friend has a son, 17 - 18, pretty mature for his age, practical, artistic but doesn't speak Spanish.
              He is aiming at social work qualifications and would like to look into volunteering.

              Apart from the C.R. Humanitarian Foundation could anyone suggest worthwhile projects which might accept him, please?

              Doris

            • costacoffee2
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 30, 2014
                Unfortunately many of the volunteer placements require a payment to cover their expenses.

              • baggus1
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 30, 2014
                  Yes, he is aware of this and is saving money.....

                  As I remember it, volunteering was done by those with skills they could offer but looking at this youth volunteering phenomenon it seems to be much more of a commercial exchange of something public spirited on an entry in the CV in return for money...

                  Doris

                • livinglifeincostarica
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1, 2014
                    Volunteering as I knew it was a few hours here & there & go home.
                    LOTS of "Volunteer" programs in Costa Rica also entails food & accommodations.

                    Also, MANY programs that do volunteer activities (the not so expensive ones) are doing good in the community so who's supposed to pay for the supplies since we KNOW that the government rarely does.

                    I've had MANY organizers of some of the more expensive "Volunteer" programs share that they are OFTEN substitutes ways to ship their kids off during school break times so there's LOTS of "babysitting" going on (& Goddess forbid the spoiled brat prissy kids that complain about the rusticness, bugs, etc.).

                    Those programs also have insurance & often do other activities that include entrances, hiring drivers, gas in this EXPENSIVE country, etc.

                    Some programs are owners not wanting to hire regular workers to work their farm, etc. &/or that want responsible workers that they have more risk with.

                    It's also AMAZING how MUCH young workers doing manual labor can eat!! A few months back I was staying at such a Work-Trade-Stay places in Ciudad Colon & WOW!! LOTS of growing boys & girls!!!

                    There are MANY ways to look at the concept of paying for volunteering.

                    I think it's one thing when people are gifting their professional time (like doctors, etc.) - BUT - MANY people these days are kids wanting to make their resume look good - OR - to help get them into college (international volunteer work is a BIG help for that I hear!).

                    On that note, I CAN say that it was volunteering for 2 weeks at Gail Nystrom Costa Rica Humanitarian Foundation that got my nephew to be one of the few (% wise) white kids from an upper middle class family into UCLA right out of high school 2 years ago!!!!!!!! (that's what the school told him!!!!!!!)

                    Vicki Skinner
                    http://LivingLifeInCostaRica.blogspot.com http://LivingLifeInCostaRica.blogspot.com
                    http://LovingYourPetHouseSitting.com http://LovingYourPetHouseSitting.comhttp://fb.com/LovingYourPetHouseSitting http://fb.com/LovingYourPetHouseSitting

                  • costacoffee2
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 2, 2014
                      Craigslist in CR, http://costarica.en.craigslist.org/search/vol?query=+ http://costarica.en.craigslist.org/search/vol?query=+ advertises some volunteer that may offer an idea on what is availalble....at this time.

                      WWOOF here usually requires payments for lodging & food while this is not permitted in many other countries.

                      Doesn't The Bridge/ The Bridge in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca in Puerto Viejo, offer volunteers positions?