Macs and the virus issue

  • Avatar S.A.
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2002
      Hi All,

      I know that we PC users are prone to be attacked by a virus. But Mac users beware:

      5. Mailbag: Can Mac users get the latest PC virus?
      >Your alert says that this new worm affects Outlook users.
      >I use a Mac, so am I affected? --Joe R.
      No. Virus writers love exposure, so they target the operating system that's in most offices worldwide: Windows. But don't get too cavalier if you have a Mac. You could still be a carrier--that is, you could receive a PC virus from someone, then send it off by accident to a Windows user. Or if your office uses both Macs and PCs, you could share an infected file on a shared network. Popular AntiVirus programs, such as McAfee and Norton, offer Mac versions of their products, which should be updated at least once a month.

      Best regards,

      Haymo

    • olamoree
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
        .....once a month. Well, who knows when a new virus hits the web?
        Once a month seems l-o-n-g! I have been using PC-Cillian for a few
        months, which comes with various motherboards, puters, drives, etc.
        as a "free" program on CD-Rom. I had been using Norton Anti-Virus
        2001 and it seems that you first "read" about a new virus and that
        reminds you to go to the NAV site and update your definitions --which
        might be too late! PC-Cillian, from Trend Micro, installs free, at
        least for the first year, and the beauty of it is: It AUTOMATICALLY
        goes to its site when you are online to see if there is a new virus
        definition you may need and up pops a screen saying so and you click
        OK and it downloads and installs the new definition(s) without your
        intervention, and notifies you that Definition list number xxx has
        been downloaded and installed! Great for us mindless surfers! I get
        a new definition or two sometimes every two or three days, sometimes
        TWO in one day! So they are out there, just waiting to grab your
        mailing list and reproduce! I think PC-Cillian's automatic updates
        are just what we need. Maybe a year from now I might have to pay a
        few dollars for the update service, but it sure will be worth it with
        AUTOMATIC updating every time I go online. Go figure.

        Ali

        --- In CostaRicaLiving@y..., "Avatar S.A." <heyder@r...> wrote:
        > Hi All,

        SNIP---> Popular AntiVirus programs, such as McAfee and Norton,