Quotes re Treatment of Animals

  • Shell & Shirley
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2008
      Assorted quotes through the centuries:

      "Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet" - Albert Einstein

      "The fidelity of a dog is a precious gift demanding no less binding moral responsibilities than the friendship of a human being." - Konrad Lorenz, "Man Meets Dog"

      "I ask for the privilege of not being born ...not to be born until you can assure me of a home and a master to protect me, and a right to live as long as I am physically able to enjoy life...not to be born until my body is precious and men have ceased to exploit it because it is cheap and plentiful." - Author Unknown

      "But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh, we deprive a soul of the sun and light and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy." - Plutarch

      Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal; but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line, we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing. - Maynard

      I ask people why they have deer heads on their walls. They always say because it's such a beautiful animal. Well, I think my mother is attractive, but I just keep photographs of her. - Ellen DeGeneres

      "I saw deep in the eyes of the animals the human soul look out upon me. I saw where it was born deep down under feathers and fur, or condemned for a while to roam four-footed among the brambles, I caught the clinging mute glance of the prisoner and swore that I would be faithful." - Henry David Thoreau

      "For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seeds of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love" -Pythagorus

      "He that killeth an ox is as if he slew a man..." - Isaiah 66:3

      The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men. - Alice Walker
      The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatama Gandhi

      Now I can look at you in peace; I don't eat you any more. -Franz Kafka

      The thinking [person] must oppose all cruel customs no matter how deeply rooted in tradition and surrounded by a halo. When we have a choice, we must avoid bringing torment and injury into the life of another...
      - Albert Schweitzer

      The wild, cruel animal is not behind the bars of a cage. He is in front of it. - Axel Munthe

      Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it. - Mark Twain

      I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature,let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. - Anonymous

      What are we doing when we brainwash children in schools to cut open their fellow animals? Are we dangerously desensitizing them? Some of the most warped and blunted people I know are those who have gone through training of this sorts. -Richard D. Ryder

      Conserve a hunter, harvest one today. -unknown

      The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men. -Emile Zola

      We are part of the earth and it is part of us. The perfumes flowers are our sisters; the deer, the horse, the great eagle: these are our brothers. All things are connected like the blood which unites one's family. -Chief Seattle

      I care not much for a man's religon whose dog and cat are not the better for it. -Abraham Lincoln

      A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral. -Leo Tolstoy

      To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being. The more helpless the creature, the more that it is entitled to protection by man from the cruelty of man. -Mahatma Gandhi

      Truly man is the king of beast for his brutality excedes theirs. We live by the death of others. We are burial places. - Leonardo Da Vinci

      Flesh can not be procured without causing destruction of life; one who uses flesh, therefore, commits hisma (injury) unavoidably. - Jainism

      There is not an animal on the earth, nor a flying creature on two wings, but they are people like unto you. - The Koran

      Behind every beautiful fur, there is a story. It is a bloody, barbaric story - Mary Tyler Moore

      Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul - Pythagoras

      The squirrel that you kill in jest, dies in earnest - Henry David Thoreau

      When a man wants to murder a tiger it is called a sport, when the tiger wants to murder him it is called ferocity. - Geroge Bernard Shaw

      The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man - Charles Darwin

      The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them, that's the essence of inhumanity. - George Bernard Shaw

      The more I see of men the more I like dogs. - Madame De Stael

      I feel very sorry for women who continue to purchase real fur coats. They are lacking in a woman's most important requisites, heart and sensitivity. - Jayne Meadows

      Nothing more strongly arouses our disgust than cannibalism, yet we make the same impression on vegetarians, for we feed on babies, though not our own. - Robert Louis Stevenson

      We fill the slaughterhouses daily with screams of fear and pain. - Robert Louis Stevenson

      All beings tremble before violence. All fear death. All love life. - Buddha
    • ojochal1
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2008
        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, Shell & Shirley <shellpb@...>
        wrote: