Re: [CostaRicaLiving] New Plastic Cédula Identity Card

  • Abdul Razor-Morales
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
      It is because everything is now digital. Take a look at the new USA Passports they now have chips in them. If you flip it over there is a shiny goldish reflecto plate...that is were all the info is located. fingerprint number ect...

      Abdul
    • David Lovelady
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, Abdul Razor-Morales
        <flacosalsa@...> wrote:

        > It is because everything is now digital.

        Exactly what data are encoded in the new cédulas?
      • Abdul Razor-Morales
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
          If you recal you have to take a fingerprint, your Id number for costa rica, thinkgs of that sort and also I wouldn't be suprised a tracking devise style chip. Information pertinant to the CR gov't as to who you are and what you are doing. It is the same thing that is done in most countries, just CR has finally come into the 21 century. secondly it is less likely to be coppied the original laminated cedulas where very easy to duplicate, take apart.

          Abdul

        • Paul Mitchell
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
            > Exactly what data are encoded in the new cédulas?

            In that encoding are the data from the front of the cédula including
            your photo plus your right and left fingerprint scans which can be
            used to ID you against the cédula via a fingerprint scanner if one's
            ugly mug ain't enough.

            Maybe some other stuff tho I don't know what . (Maybe someone
            else here does.)

            ¡Puro Plástico!

            Paul M.
            ==
          • desmondcr
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
              Many thanks to all who enlightened me about my new plastic long-
              numbered Cédula identity document. I am finally convinced that all is
              in order.

              My old ID cedula would have expired next year after five years.
              However, there was an error that I never noticed until this year – it
              said "Estados Unidos" instead of "Reino Unido" and because the print
              was so small or my little grey cells so diminished I never noticed the
              error until some months ago. So I hastened to Migración to have it
              corrected. After that I hastened slowly.

              I have also done some due diligence myself and agree with you all that
              the old four digit number cédula may also have been an error because
              the banks had to add on lots of zeros and other fictitious numbers to
              make it fit into their computers. Thanks again. A great group.