Dehumidifiers - Where?

  • Skollen
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 27, 2008
      Ok, for the dehumidifier pros, where in CR have you bought them? I
      checked out Cemaco in Alajuela today and they were over 200,000
      colones with a higher capacity than what I would need.
    • Margie Davis
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 28, 2008
        Last year I bought a dehumidifier in PriceSmart.  It's a Danby, with an Energy Star rating.  It was less than 200,000, but I don't remember how much it was.  I use it sparingly, and usually both to warm up the bedroom and to suck out moisture from the room and the closet.

        Margie

      • soon2banexpat
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 28, 2008
          I bought my dehumid two years ago at Pricesmart. Don't know the brand
          because I'm in the States now and the dehumid is running in CR. Thank
          maybe it was "Danby"? I paid $168 for it then, they are now hovering
          around the $200 mark. My neighbors bought their LG brand at
          Pricesmart. When the exchange rate was C500 to the $, the machina cost
          $200 even. I also live near Art Sulenski. Up in the campo, away from
          the big city.
        • villaslaspalmas
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 28, 2008
            A while back I got this website from this board and it offers
            dehumidifiers. Maybe someone else remembers if they are recommended or
            not.

            http://www.finefurnitureofsarchi.com/
          • Art Sulenski
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 28, 2008
              > 200,000
              > colones with a higher capacity than what I would need.

              I think I paid C120,000 for our dehumidifier at Gollo. It has a 30 pint
              per 24hours capacity. Size is only relative if you exceed the
              dehumidifiers square foot capacity and that size of your electric
              circuit. A small unit will just run longer to do the job that a larger
              unit does. Our medium capacity dehumidifier can handle whatever
              situation we have, that is important to me. Locating the unit where it
              is needed the most also helps. I first put it directly in front of our
              closets then in between the bedrooms then in the living area where the
              door is open to the outside a lot. We have pulled over 10 gallons out
              of the air in one day.

              Art
            • thaitrekker
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 28, 2008
                I have been watching the list for a few weeks now, as i will be in CR
                for 3 weeks next Feb with the intention of possibly retiring there in
                Dec. 09.
                One of the things that surprised me is the number of posts regarding
                humidifiers.
                I lived in Rio for 8 years, never used or even as a dehumdifier;
                spent about 8 months in Bangkok, lived in Jamaica and other warm and
                sultry places - again, no dehumidifiers. The only place I stayed for
                any length of time and saw use of humidifiers was in Cambodia - and
                that was only at the Colonial hotel in Phenom Phen and a few other
                upscale homes.

                Is it just that there is a vocal group of folks here discussing this
                at the moment? or is there some reason that there is a lot of water
                retention in the air in CR?

                curious in dry kewl san francisco, CA

                Al
              • Jo's
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 28, 2008
                  I used to be able to buy an electric tube type of closet heater that was
                  specifically for drying the air in a closed place. We use them to keep our
                  salt shakers working, and our crackers crisp in our restaurant (still do).
                  They also keep our towels and linens dry and sweet smelling.

                  Now they aren't available and these contraptions that collect the moisture
                  from the air and fill up are the only thing available. Way over the top for
                  the situation and way more expensive.

                  What happened to those other (less than $20) thingys we used to buy at
                  Cemaco? I've not seen them for 2-3 years. Anybody know or have a lead as
                  to where I can buy the ones that I'm speaking of?

                  Jo

                  VISTA DEL VALLE
                  PLANTATION INN
                  &
                  RESORT VILLAGE
                  Rosario de Naranjo
                  Costa Rica
                  WWW.VISTADELVALLE.COM
                  450-0800, 450-0900

                • villaslaspalmas
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 28, 2008
                    I believe the primary reason for mold and mildew problems here in the
                    central valley is that Ticos do not use a moisture barrier (plastic
                    sheeting) under the concrete slab floor.

                    ".....is there some reason that there is a lot of water
                    retention in the air in CR?"
                  • glen_bob
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 28, 2008
                      --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Jo's" <jonana@...> wrote:
                      >I used to be able to buy an electric tube type of closet heater that
                      was specifically for drying the air in a closed place.

                      For $45, you can get the compact Davis Air Dryer or the Goldenrod tube
                      dryers direct at National Marine Products website.

                      http://www.nationalmarineproducts.com/Davis_Air_Dryer_Davis_Instruments_
                      s/10.htm

                      http://www.nationalmarineproducts.com/Goldenrod_Dehumidifiers_s/9.htm
                    • Silvia Hidalgo
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 28, 2008
                        You can look up dehumidifying rod at amazon and at naturestapestry.com they sell those heating rods for very cheap prices. There is RODEX.COM too.
                        All of these places sell the rods between $21 - $59

                        Silvia H.
                        Phone / Fax: 460-8749

                      • September
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 29, 2008
                          I lived in Rio as well, (Ipanema) and we definitely had need of a
                          dehumidifier during the winter months (especially June, July, August)
                          Mold started to grow on anything and everything it seemed until we got
                          the dehumidifier. And friends who lived in Angra had a humidity
                          problem all year long. If they even left a newspaper out overnight, it
                          would be damp in the morning!

                          > I lived in Rio for 8 years, never used or even as a dehumdifier;
                          > curious in dry kewl san francisco, CA
                          >
                          > Al

                        • pete kreis
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 29, 2008
                            You can find them at EPA

                              PETE KREIS

                          • cafeorg@gmail.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 29, 2008
                              Jo, re: rod dehumidifiers...
                              Try music stores. I have two I bought at one of the music stores in San
                              Jose that also had pianos for sale. I cannot for the life of me remember
                              the name.
                              Cheers,
                              Janet
                            • Frederick Clark
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 30, 2008
                                --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, Skollen <skollenb@...> wrote:

                                > Ok, for the dehumidifier pros, where in CR have you bought them? I
                                > checked out Cemaco in Alajuela today and they were over 200,000
                                > colones with a higher capacity than what I would need.

                                The "knick knack" shop at Cima(bedpans, prothesthic limbs, colestommy
                                bags etc.) sells dehumidifiors for about $125. I'm not kdding. We have
                                one that works great.