Re: Glucosomine, and Boswellia

  • Paul Mitchell
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 31, 2008
      Anthony, Bruce,

      Permit me to add a little more. on this glucosamine topic and
      my experience with it . . .

      The lady at my vitamin/supplements store, when I asked her for
      a product I had been told about, Boswellia, for hip and joint
      pain also recommended that I consider using glucosamine
      sulfate.

      When I said that I had heard of glucosamine/chondroitin she
      commented that glucosamine sufate by itself was probably more
      cost effective as the chondroitin molecule was large, making it
      less able to be readily absorbed by the body. That plus the
      higher cost of the chondroitin, and the fact that glucosimine
      sulfate seemed to work very well for many people, that it was
      less expensive, and more readily absorbed by the body, seemed
      to make it a better choice for the expense.

      So my plan of action became Boswellia extract in tablet form and
      later on to try adding capsules of glucosaimne sulfate.

      I had taken the Boswellia first for about a month before I began
      to notice any real effect but there was, for me, some improvement
      in my hip pain. For those who have not heard of it, Boswellia is
      the genus name of the tree from which frankincense is derived.

      Frankincence is made from the sap of this tree, which grows in
      desert environments in the Near East. It has been in the European
      Pharmacopoeia for several hundred years. (There is some basic
      information about it on Wikipedia along with links to studies
      using Boswellia and how it has been seen to work in the body.)

      After using the Boswellia for a month or so, I then decided to
      try adding glucosamine sulfate and, after another month or so I
      began to notice that my hips no longer ached when I was just
      sitting, at rest. That was a great relief.

      Over time and gradually, my joint pain continued to diminish some
      more so, there is definite lasting improvement. There are still times
      when I may step or turn in such a way that it causes pain in the hips,
      but overall there has been, for me, noticeable improvement evidenced
      by a lessening of general joint pain since using these two products.

      This is my experience. Others may get different 'mileage' with these
      same products.

      BTW, eventually I went online to buy these two products and was able to
      find the brands I had been using for about half the cost of buying them
      in the local vitamin store(s). And at some websites, I can get the items
      shipped without charge if my order comes to a certain amount, like $50 in
      one case. This is cost-effective for me and since I take these products
      on a regular basis, ordering the extra quantity doesn't go to waste nor
      goes bad. I now bring enough of the two products with me when I come to
      CR so that I won't run out while I am here.

      I'm not selling or promoting these products, but anyone wanting further
      information can contact me off-list, if they like.

      Paul M.
      ==
    • Rocky
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
        My husband was told 15 years ago that his running days were over because of
        arthritis in his knee. He did not accept this and was in touch with a
        Sports doctor in the U.S. who suggested Glucosamine (without the Chondritin)
        - he¹s been pain free since and is still running.

        Paula

      • mashahla
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
          I have a serious case in my back/joints. THe glucosamin/chondrotin
          helps a lot. I also have added Flax seed, MSM, and SAMe.
        • henry kantrowitz
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
            i think if we were to wait for the a.m.a. or f.d.a. approval of everything we may not find something that works outside of the medical practice and suffer for years before using it.  even many of their approved drugs later turn out to be harmful.  i have a few friends that use flax seed and amaranth seed for constipation and swear by it.  they mix a few spoonfuls in with yogurt or cereal.  they seem to stay quite regular when using it.  also both are very healthy regarding fiber and essential oils.  now the medical assoc. may have not done clinical trials to prove it works or maybe they found it didn't work.  the point is if it works for them who cares what mainstream medicine says.  for years modern medicine laughed at chiropractors and some still do.  they are now accepted as legitimate theropy for many situations.  the same is true for accupuncture it was scoufed at also and is now accepted as legitimate practice too.  so all i can say if
            it works for you and you read enough information about possible bad side effects go for it.  doctors don't have the answer for all conditions otherwise we would have cures for everything.  sometimes we just have to think outside the box and try something that may have not yet been approved by mainstream medicine.  just look around any central market place in costa rica,  and see all of the different healing herbs that work for many people.  many of these herbs haven't even been studied, but if it works for people who cares.
            henry

          • Tamara Wyke
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
              Another example of herbal relief is that of paw-paw tree bark. If you google Purdue University and paw paw, you will see some fascinating info about it's benefit for cancer victims.
              Tammy

            • Sharon Wallace
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                Active principles (acetogenins) found in paw-paw showed some promise against drug-resistant tumor cells in laboratory studies. That research did not lead (or as yet has not lead) to the development of ANY recognized chemotherapeutic agents. The original work was done in the 80s, and the last publications were around 1997. The compounds simply didn't show enough promise in vivo to continue the studies. This is true of thousands of substances studied over the years.
                "McLaughlin notes, however, that the

                effect on drug-resistant cells has been studied only in laboratory

                cultures and will require additional study in animals before it

                can be tested in humans."
                This didn't stop McLaughlin (the Purdue principal investigator...an assistant professor of pharmacology...long since retired and unavailable for discussion) from joining Nature's Sunshine Products to market his magic pills. " Dr. McLaughlin licensed his patents to
                Nature's Sunshine Products, who sells the product under the name "Paw
                Paw Cell Reg" to the public through their distributors. If you do not
                know a Nature's Sunshine distributor personally, try Healthy Sunshine." http://www.pawpawresearch.com/purdue-mdr-97.htm. Mind you, the website link has the word PURDUE in it, but has no connection whatsoever with the university. It only cites the research paper...from 1997. There is the usual disclaimer that no one is saying the stuff actually helps or cures anything.

                You need a good BS detector to wade through alt med claims. And a thick wallet.
                When objecting to skepticism about claims of medical efficacy, ranting about the perceived deficiencies of scientific medicine and therapeutics isn't productive. Citing a few positive studies would be helpful, if only they existed. Mention of anecdotal cures isn't really useful. Lots of people believed that the world was flat. I hear that some still do. Even the websites promoting this product suggest that people with documented disease CONTINUE orthodox therapy while taking a flier with their products. Of course, they know that unfounded claims of cure might get them into a bit of hot water.

                Sharon

              • soon2banexpat
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                  --- henry kantrowitz wrote:

                  >  i have a few friends that use flax seed and amaranth seed for
                  constipation and swear by it.  they mix a few spoonfuls in with yogurt
                  or cereal.  they seem to stay quite regular when using it.

                  Flaxseed is a wonderful fiber, especially for women as it is purported
                  to reduce bad estrogen levels. Chia seed is another great form of
                  fiber -- besides the fiber benefits, it is extremely high in Omega 3s
                  and calcium. Don't know if Chia seed is available in Costa Rica, but
                  flax seed is ubiquitous. I buy chia seeds on the net for about $7.00 a
                  pound. I put them in baked goods and also add them to my dogs'
                  dinner. Great stuff (but I'm quite sure the AMA and Big Pharma will
                  say it's all bunk!)
                • John French
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                    I have three comments on this thread:

                    One, the word is spelled "glucosamine" with an "a".

                    Two, those who want to read testimonials about glucosamine can google
                    <+glucosamine +testimonial> and read 93,000 hits.

                    Three, there are 423 hits at the National Library of Medicine's
                    database of medical abstracts with "glucosamine" in the abstract and
                    "treatment" (of any disease) as a key word. A quick scan through
                    these will show equivocal results for successful treatment of any
                    condition -- arthritis is the one apparently most frequently cited.

                    Here is an example of one new abstract. (There are others with
                    seemingly more positive and more negative results.)

                    Kawasaki, T., H. Kurosawa, et al. (2008). "Additive effects of
                    glucosamine or risedronate for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the
                    knee combined with home exercise: a prospective randomized 18-month
                    trial." J Bone Miner Metab 26(3): 279-87.
                    We have previously demonstrated the efficacy of therapeutic exercise
                    for osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee. This study was performed to
                    examine the additive effects of glucosamine or risedronate on the
                    exercise therapy. In this study, 142 female patients with moderate OA
                    of the knee, who had been recommended to undergo home exercise at the
                    first visit to the hospital, were randomly given glucosamine
                    hydrochloride, risedronate, or no additive. Although improvement
                    after 18 months was observed in all groups using individual scales
                    for evaluation of pain and function of the knee, no significant
                    differences were observed between the groups regarding any of the
                    scales, indicating no significant additive effect of glucosamine or
                    risedronate. One reason for the lack of effect of glucosamine or
                    risedronate on OA of the knee may be that the effect of these agents
                    was occluded by the effect of therapeutic exercise to improve pain
                    and function of the knee. This finding means that even if glucosamine
                    and risedronate were to have an effect on OA of the knee, the effect
                    would not be greater than the effect of knee exercise to improve the symptoms.

                    Given that this medical treatment has not a thing to do with Costa
                    Rica, can we give it up?

                    John French
                  • Euphoria
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 3, 2008
                      This is probably already posted, but just in case someone is
                      interested in buying flax seeds here in Costa Rica and doesn't
                      already know it they're called "linaza".

                      You'll find them in many different forms, including pan de
                      linaza (flaxseed bread), the best of which is likely to be found
                      in your local microbiotica.