Re: [CostaRicaLiving] Re: Arthritis & Constipation Relief

  • Mary and Jeff Hickcox
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 31, 2008
      Papaya is also great for heartburn.  Just as an fyi

      Mary
      mama to Dylan (9), Colin (5) and Theo Benjamin (born 8-28-07)

    • Jeannie Alvin
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 31, 2008
        For constipation, try magnesium from the macrobiotica, or milk of magnesia.  Particularly if you are a B blood type (from Eat Right for Your Type, by D'Adamo) you might be short of magnesium.  And if you are getting older, you might be short of magnesium.  You take some in increasing amounts, until you are not constipated, and that is the amount of magnesium you need.

        And turmeric capsules help me not have arthritic symptoms, they are sold as Curcuma capsules here in the Macrobioticas.  Also glucosamine/condroitin.

        Ginger may help, and it is sold cheaply here.  Use a lot, and make tea, for arthritis ease.

        I came across a wonderful book, Eat Right 4 Your (blood) type.   Eating wrong foods can cause health problems.
            All foods have "lectins," like a fingerprint.  Each one reacts differently, and can be seen under a microscope,for each blood type.
         Scientists can order the different lectins for each
        food, and see how it reacts with each blood type under a microscope.

        When it is the wrong food, it causes "agglutination" (think glue), and causes clumping of blood cells in various organs and the bloodstream.

        Highly beneficial foods differ for each blood type, and act as medicine foods.  Neutral foods are good nutrition.

        When we eat right for our type, we'll get to the right weight easily, and have more energy.

        http://www.thenaturalhealthplace.com/Articles/BloodTypeO.html
        http://www.thenaturalhealthplace.com/Articles/BloodTypeB.html
        http://www.thenaturalhealthplace.com/Articles/BloodTypeAB.html
        http://www.thenaturalhealthplace.com/Articles/BloodTypeA.html

        Jeannie Alvin
        www.inetworld.net/lovesource
        9 free books, including
        Living, Being + Creating From Your Highest Consciousness

        www.lulu.com/awakening
        4 paperback books
        free ebooks, including
        We CAN Achieve the World We Want

      • Anthony Carneiro
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 31, 2008
          Bruce;

          Happens I've taken glucosamine for years to relieve arthritis symptoms, on recommendation of local doctors. Over the years I've had three MD's prescribe it; the most recent was a rheumatologist.

          I have an old article from a June 2006 Consumer Reports; they tested the glucosamine plus chondroitin, and based on their analysis of the research and interviews with arthritis experts, recommended the 1,500mg/1,200mg glucosamine / chondroitin.

          Consumer Reports said: "... in the 354 people with moderate-to-severe pain, 79 percent reported at least some relief with the glucosamine-chondroitin combination. That was the only treatment that worked significantly better than the placebo. Those results "are notable but not definitive," said Daniel O. Clegg, M.D., the study's lead investigator. The NIH is now considering another large study to clarify the findings."

          For those who haven't tried it, it can take a full three months before you know whether it offers any relief. If you take these supplements, keep a daily diary of your pain and physical limitations. If you see no improvement after about three months, it's unlikely that you will benefit, their experts said.

          Opt for just glucosamine and chondroitin. Some products claim to contain added ingredients. But there's not enough evidence on the long-term safety and efficacy of those substances to warrant recommending them to treat arthritis.

          Important: "... individuals allergic to shellfish should avoid glucosamine. Those with diabetes should closely monitor their blood-sugar level, which in theory might be raised by glucosamine. People who have a clotting disorder or take a prescription anti-clotting drug may want to avoid chondroitin, which may increase the risk of bleeding."

          Prices vary dramatically. Consumer Reports said (in June 2006) the best deal - in the US - was Kirkland Signature Extra Strength from Costco, for just 25 cents a day. Four other choices that did well in tests and were inexpensive include: Wal-Mart's Spring Valley Double Strength glucosamine chondroitin, Target's Triple strength glucosamine chondroitin, Vitamin World's double strength glucosamine chondroitin and Kmart's Vitasmart double strength glucosamine chondroitin.

          Their study suggests that one needs to be wary of off-brands. Some of them contain less of the active ingredients than their label says.

          Personally, if I can't get any of the recommended US brands brought in for me, I buy the GNC product, since I hope they have some level of quality assurance/control that may not exist with some of the local (Costa Rican) brands.

          Cheers;

          Anthony C.

        • Sharon Wallace
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 31, 2008
            The so-called "Blood-type Diet" is unsupported by any evidence of health benefits. It did have the dubious distinction of being named one of "The Eleven Most Ridiculous Diets" in a recent article ...http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/22177/41987-eleven-most-ridiculous-diets (it was #6). In the more serious information page issued by the Mayo Clinic, the diet is mentioned: "...there is no scientific evidence that shows the interaction between
            blood type and diet has any influence � positive or negative � on
            weight or overall health." http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-type-diet/AN01415. The slightest acquaintance with histopathology (the study of abnormal body tissue) makes the claim of harmful agglutinins in the bloodstream of people eating the Wrong Diet preposterous. There's a good review of D'Adamo's book at http://www.drsgoodman.com/book-review.php?reviewid=82.

            Glucosamine, on the other hand, may have some benefit in the relief of the pain of osteoarthritis. It seems in studies to perform at least as well as placebo. It doesn't compare particularly well with standard medications for arthritis, but has a benign side-effect profile, and may be helpful for people who can't tolerate aspirin or acetaminophen.

            Sharon

            _

          • Paul Mitchell
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 31, 2008
              Anthony, Bruce,

              Permit me to add a little more. on this glucosamine topic and
              my experience with it . . .

              The lady at my vitamin/supplements store, when I asked her for
              a product I had been told about, Boswellia, for hip and joint
              pain also recommended that I consider using glucosamine
              sulfate.

              When I said that I had heard of glucosamine/chondroitin she
              commented that glucosamine sufate by itself was probably more
              cost effective as the chondroitin molecule was large, making it
              less able to be readily absorbed by the body. That plus the
              higher cost of the chondroitin, and the fact that glucosimine
              sulfate seemed to work very well for many people, that it was
              less expensive, and more readily absorbed by the body, seemed
              to make it a better choice for the expense.

              So my plan of action became Boswellia extract in tablet form and
              later on to try adding capsules of glucosaimne sulfate.

              I had taken the Boswellia first for about a month before I began
              to notice any real effect but there was, for me, some improvement
              in my hip pain. For those who have not heard of it, Boswellia is
              the genus name of the tree from which frankincense is derived.

              Frankincence is made from the sap of this tree, which grows in
              desert environments in the Near East. It has been in the European
              Pharmacopoeia for several hundred years. (There is some basic
              information about it on Wikipedia along with links to studies
              using Boswellia and how it has been seen to work in the body.)

              After using the Boswellia for a month or so, I then decided to
              try adding glucosamine sulfate and, after another month or so I
              began to notice that my hips no longer ached when I was just
              sitting, at rest. That was a great relief.

              Over time and gradually, my joint pain continued to diminish some
              more so, there is definite lasting improvement. There are still times
              when I may step or turn in such a way that it causes pain in the hips,
              but overall there has been, for me, noticeable improvement evidenced
              by a lessening of general joint pain since using these two products.

              This is my experience. Others may get different 'mileage' with these
              same products.

              BTW, eventually I went online to buy these two products and was able to
              find the brands I had been using for about half the cost of buying them
              in the local vitamin store(s). And at some websites, I can get the items
              shipped without charge if my order comes to a certain amount, like $50 in
              one case. This is cost-effective for me and since I take these products
              on a regular basis, ordering the extra quantity doesn't go to waste nor
              goes bad. I now bring enough of the two products with me when I come to
              CR so that I won't run out while I am here.

              I'm not selling or promoting these products, but anyone wanting further
              information can contact me off-list, if they like.

              Paul M.
              ==
            • Rocky
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
                My husband was told 15 years ago that his running days were over because of
                arthritis in his knee. He did not accept this and was in touch with a
                Sports doctor in the U.S. who suggested Glucosamine (without the Chondritin)
                - he¹s been pain free since and is still running.

                Paula

              • mashahla
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
                  I have a serious case in my back/joints. THe glucosamin/chondrotin
                  helps a lot. I also have added Flax seed, MSM, and SAMe.
                • henry kantrowitz
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
                    i think if we were to wait for the a.m.a. or f.d.a. approval of everything we may not find something that works outside of the medical practice and suffer for years before using it.  even many of their approved drugs later turn out to be harmful.  i have a few friends that use flax seed and amaranth seed for constipation and swear by it.  they mix a few spoonfuls in with yogurt or cereal.  they seem to stay quite regular when using it.  also both are very healthy regarding fiber and essential oils.  now the medical assoc. may have not done clinical trials to prove it works or maybe they found it didn't work.  the point is if it works for them who cares what mainstream medicine says.  for years modern medicine laughed at chiropractors and some still do.  they are now accepted as legitimate theropy for many situations.  the same is true for accupuncture it was scoufed at also and is now accepted as legitimate practice too.  so all i can say if
                    it works for you and you read enough information about possible bad side effects go for it.  doctors don't have the answer for all conditions otherwise we would have cures for everything.  sometimes we just have to think outside the box and try something that may have not yet been approved by mainstream medicine.  just look around any central market place in costa rica,  and see all of the different healing herbs that work for many people.  many of these herbs haven't even been studied, but if it works for people who cares.
                    henry

                  • Tamara Wyke
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
                      Another example of herbal relief is that of paw-paw tree bark. If you google Purdue University and paw paw, you will see some fascinating info about it's benefit for cancer victims.
                      Tammy

                    • Sharon Wallace
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                        Active principles (acetogenins) found in paw-paw showed some promise against drug-resistant tumor cells in laboratory studies. That research did not lead (or as yet has not lead) to the development of ANY recognized chemotherapeutic agents. The original work was done in the 80s, and the last publications were around 1997. The compounds simply didn't show enough promise in vivo to continue the studies. This is true of thousands of substances studied over the years.
                        "McLaughlin notes, however, that the

                        effect on drug-resistant cells has been studied only in laboratory

                        cultures and will require additional study in animals before it

                        can be tested in humans."
                        This didn't stop McLaughlin (the Purdue principal investigator...an assistant professor of pharmacology...long since retired and unavailable for discussion) from joining Nature's Sunshine Products to market his magic pills. " Dr. McLaughlin licensed his patents to
                        Nature's Sunshine Products, who sells the product under the name "Paw
                        Paw Cell Reg" to the public through their distributors. If you do not
                        know a Nature's Sunshine distributor personally, try Healthy Sunshine." http://www.pawpawresearch.com/purdue-mdr-97.htm. Mind you, the website link has the word PURDUE in it, but has no connection whatsoever with the university. It only cites the research paper...from 1997. There is the usual disclaimer that no one is saying the stuff actually helps or cures anything.

                        You need a good BS detector to wade through alt med claims. And a thick wallet.
                        When objecting to skepticism about claims of medical efficacy, ranting about the perceived deficiencies of scientific medicine and therapeutics isn't productive. Citing a few positive studies would be helpful, if only they existed. Mention of anecdotal cures isn't really useful. Lots of people believed that the world was flat. I hear that some still do. Even the websites promoting this product suggest that people with documented disease CONTINUE orthodox therapy while taking a flier with their products. Of course, they know that unfounded claims of cure might get them into a bit of hot water.

                        Sharon

                      • soon2banexpat
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                          --- henry kantrowitz wrote:

                          >  i have a few friends that use flax seed and amaranth seed for
                          constipation and swear by it.  they mix a few spoonfuls in with yogurt
                          or cereal.  they seem to stay quite regular when using it.

                          Flaxseed is a wonderful fiber, especially for women as it is purported
                          to reduce bad estrogen levels. Chia seed is another great form of
                          fiber -- besides the fiber benefits, it is extremely high in Omega 3s
                          and calcium. Don't know if Chia seed is available in Costa Rica, but
                          flax seed is ubiquitous. I buy chia seeds on the net for about $7.00 a
                          pound. I put them in baked goods and also add them to my dogs'
                          dinner. Great stuff (but I'm quite sure the AMA and Big Pharma will
                          say it's all bunk!)
                        • John French
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                            I have three comments on this thread:

                            One, the word is spelled "glucosamine" with an "a".

                            Two, those who want to read testimonials about glucosamine can google
                            <+glucosamine +testimonial> and read 93,000 hits.

                            Three, there are 423 hits at the National Library of Medicine's
                            database of medical abstracts with "glucosamine" in the abstract and
                            "treatment" (of any disease) as a key word. A quick scan through
                            these will show equivocal results for successful treatment of any
                            condition -- arthritis is the one apparently most frequently cited.

                            Here is an example of one new abstract. (There are others with
                            seemingly more positive and more negative results.)

                            Kawasaki, T., H. Kurosawa, et al. (2008). "Additive effects of
                            glucosamine or risedronate for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the
                            knee combined with home exercise: a prospective randomized 18-month
                            trial." J Bone Miner Metab 26(3): 279-87.
                            We have previously demonstrated the efficacy of therapeutic exercise
                            for osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee. This study was performed to
                            examine the additive effects of glucosamine or risedronate on the
                            exercise therapy. In this study, 142 female patients with moderate OA
                            of the knee, who had been recommended to undergo home exercise at the
                            first visit to the hospital, were randomly given glucosamine
                            hydrochloride, risedronate, or no additive. Although improvement
                            after 18 months was observed in all groups using individual scales
                            for evaluation of pain and function of the knee, no significant
                            differences were observed between the groups regarding any of the
                            scales, indicating no significant additive effect of glucosamine or
                            risedronate. One reason for the lack of effect of glucosamine or
                            risedronate on OA of the knee may be that the effect of these agents
                            was occluded by the effect of therapeutic exercise to improve pain
                            and function of the knee. This finding means that even if glucosamine
                            and risedronate were to have an effect on OA of the knee, the effect
                            would not be greater than the effect of knee exercise to improve the symptoms.

                            Given that this medical treatment has not a thing to do with Costa
                            Rica, can we give it up?

                            John French
                          • Euphoria
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 3, 2008
                              This is probably already posted, but just in case someone is
                              interested in buying flax seeds here in Costa Rica and doesn't
                              already know it they're called "linaza".

                              You'll find them in many different forms, including pan de
                              linaza (flaxseed bread), the best of which is likely to be found
                              in your local microbiotica.