Article From Inside Costa Rica-Sunday April 13

  • hands77us
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 15, 2008
      This is what caused my recent outrage about animal welfare in Costa
      Rica. Will send a copy of this also to President Oscar Arias, for
      whatever its worth.
      John Bisceglio

      All In The Name of Art
      A Costa Rican artist who used a starving dog as the centre piece for
      his exhibition has unleashed a storm of protest. In the name of art,
      he chained the animal and deprived it of food and water.

      Ironically, he gave the dog the name Natividad (birth), but
      apparently it died right in front of the public's eyes, still
      chained to the wall.

      Animal welfare organizations worldwide are being inundated with
      letters of outrage from members of the public. One of them, Pat Barr-
      Sanders of the Johannesburg-based Society for Animals in Distress -
      which works with animals in squatter camps - said she was receiving
      about 100 e-mails a day about the issue.

      "I can no longer cope emotionally or workwise," said Barr-Sanders.

      International organizations such as Care2 have asked people to sign
      petitions against the Costa Rican artist, Guillermo Habacuc Vargas.

      It is claimed Vargas paid some children to catch the starving stray,
      which then became the centre piece of his exhibition at a gallery in
      Managua, Nicaragua, last year.

      Vargas said his "artwork" was a homage to Natividad Canda, a
      Nicaraguan who had recently been killed by two rottweilers.

      While many people asked him to release the animal, he refused. He is
      said to have prevented bystanders from giving it anything to eat or
      drink and although it was obviously sick, no vet was called.

      Vargas was then chosen to represent his country at the Bienal
      Centroamericana in Honduras this year, which has stirred up further
      outrage.

      The World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA) claims some
      of the information circulating in this regard is untrue - though it
      does not say what details are false.

      It confirms the exhibition did take place in October last year, but
      said while Vargas would be participating in Honduras, he did not
      intend to repeat his exhibit using a dog.

      "While there is an animal cruelty law in Costa Rica, there is no
      such legislation in Nicaragua.

      "Therefore, the artist did not break the law by mistreating this
      dog," said a spokesman for the society.

      The society said it was unclear how long the dog had been kept, or
      why, if it was suffering, no one had done anything about it.

      The WSPA in Costa Rica has contacted the Ministry of Art and Culture
      to urge it to ban Vargas from representing Costa Rica in the
      forthcoming event.

      "The response was that since Vargas was participating at the
      Biennial with a different exhibit, they could not ban him from
      attending."

      WSPA said it was unfortunate this artist would now gain publicity
      through this second exhibition despite his previous display
      involving mistreatment of the dog.

      "Our Costa Rica office continues to monitor this situation in the
      hope we can still stop the artist from participating in the Biennial
      with any exhibit," said the spokesman.
    • Annette
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 15, 2008
        i'd read this and received it in the email a number of times and wrote
        snopes to see what insight they had. they wrote me today with this link:

        http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/vargas.asp

        "undetermined" was the result on snopes. i'm not sure why exactly that
        the artist hasn't been quoted or interviewed for his version of the
        story. perhaps he doesn't want to be. perhaps it's something else.

        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "hands77us" <jbisceglio@...>
        wrote:

        > This is what caused my recent outrage about animal welfare in Costa
        > Rica.
      • Janet Blakeley
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 15, 2008
          Yeah, Annette. ¨Undetermined¨, and OLD.

          I have no idea why this has started circulating again. At any rate, the
          Nicaraguan press stated the dog was fed and watered after hours, and was
          released or escaped. There is definitely no proof it died, much less in
          front of peoples´ eyes.

          The ¨event¨ was in Nicaragua, although the artist was Costa Rican. If it
          happened as is now being reported by animal rights groups, it was gross.
          Again, however, the story is old and much of it unconfirmed.

          Janet
        • paul wessen
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 6, 2008
            Thanks to all, as usual, for useful information, but this post is directed to those who have been involved with it.   (Form 5471)

            I've checked online with the IRS sites and get conflicting information:    (1)  One site shows the necessity of filling out Schedules all the way through  M   (or perhaps more).    But (2) the downloadable PDF site (allowable to be used according to the IRS), prints out only 4 pages, through Schedule  I.   (That's  "eye.")    What's  your experience with this?  Any advice?

            I just want to get it right the first time.   Many advance thanks.

            --------  Paul in San Antonio de Escazu

          • Anthony Carneiro
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 6, 2008
              "Schedule M" is to be attached to Form 5471. "Schedule M" can be found at:
              www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5471sm.pdf
              Cheers;
              Anthony C.

            • paul wessen
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 6, 2008
                Schedule M" is to be attached to Form 5471. "Schedule M" can be found at:

                www.irs.gov/ pub/irs-pdf/ f5471sm.pdf
                Thanks, Anthony.     May I assume then that there are no Schedules J, K, and L?
                -------  Paul
                ty
                ===_._,___Th

              • Anthony Carneiro
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 6, 2008
                  Paul;
                  Re "May I assume then that there are no Schedules J, K, and L?"

                  Nah. There's a Schedule J, and a Schedule O Part I and Part II too listed in the Form 5471 Instructions at:
                  ( http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5471.pdf ). The instructions also speak to "Additional Filing Requirements for Category 3 filers. Category 3 filers must attach a statement that includes: ..." Haven't seen a Schedule N, K or L but doesn't mean they don't exist.

                  Cheers - and good luck;
                  Anthony C.

                • ddnmw2007
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 6, 2011
                    Hi all,

                    Like many others I formed a Sociedad Anonima to hold a car, but I never ended up buying one. I'm the 90% shareholder. The corporation has no assets and no income. Do I still need to file Form 5471 with my US tax return???

                    Thanks!
                  • paul wessen
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 6, 2011
                      I just talked with my tax guy who told me that I should start to file this form
                      next year. Why not this year? This is what he told me:

                      1) They IRS can't fine you for not reporting unless they already know that you
                      hold a SA. This can be iffy because they can access the Registro whenever they
                      want. At $10 grand a year fine, it's not worth taking the chance after this
                      year as they seem to be getting tighter and tighter.

                      2) It should cost about $150/year for a pro to fill out everything for you.
                      You may want to simply get rid of the SA if it's no use to you.

                      3) Being dormant doesn't count. You know the IRS....... (appropriate language
                      at this point is not allowed on CRL).

                      --------- Paranoid Paul in San Antonio de Escazu

                      Like many others I formed a Sociedad Anonima to hold a car, but I never ended up
                      buying one. I'm the 90% shareholder. The corporation has no assets and no
                      income. Do I still need to file Form 5471 with my US tax return???

                      ,_._,___

                    • jrnutpaul
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 6, 2011
                        I looked up the instructions for 5471 and they have not changed for my dorment corporation so I assume that the same instructions should apply to you. It takes me 2 minutes to fill out the summary requirements.

                        Paul in Perez

                        Dormant Foreign Corporations

                        Rev. Proc. 92-70, 1992-2 C.B. 435, provides a summary filing procedure for filing Form 5471 for a dormant foreign corporation
                        (defined in sec. 3 of Rev.Proc. 92-70). This summary filing procedure will satisfy the reporting requirements of sections 6038 and 6046.
                        If you elect the summary procedure,complete only page 1 of Form 5471 for each dormant foreign corporation as follows:

                        Specific Instructions

                        •The top margin of the summary return must be labeled "Filed Pursuant to Rev.Proc. 92-70 for Dormant Foreign Corporation."

                        •Include filer information such as name and address, Items A through C, and tax year.

                        •Include corporate information such as the dormant corporation's annual accounting period (below the title of the form) and Items 1a, 1b, 1c, and 1d.
                      • chesterfry42
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 21, 2011
                          Did everyone file their form 5471 this year with their taxes. This is the one for your Costa Rica corp. I think my account is going to charge about $500.00 just for it. what a pian. Chet
                        • jrnutpaul
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 25, 2011
                            --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "chesterfry42" <chesterfry42@...> wrote:

                            > I think my account is going to charge about $500.00 just for it.

                            My CR corp. is inactive. It took 3 minutes to fill in the required spaces on the downloaded form.

                            Paul in Perez
                          • Linda Mc
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 26, 2011
                              spaces on the downloaded form.

                              Can you provide a link to the location where you can download this
                              form? I guess I missed the thread that talks about it.
                            • jackdiv
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 11, 2014
                                If your S.A. is inactive with no income, you can file the 5471 as a Dormant Corporation. This saves filling out much of the form. There is a Revenue Procedure you have to cite. I am on the road right now, but I can give you the citation when I get back to the city.

                                I was a tax preparer in the U.S. and the first year I had to fill out this form I called the IRS. They didn't understand it any better than I did, but we agreed that inactive meant dormant. Neither one of us could find a 5471 definition for Dormant Corporation. Now this form takes me about 5 minutes to complete.
                              • whereisjerrytoday
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 12, 2014

                                  Add this wording to the top of from 5471 and only fill in to number 2 I also add in the boxes that as for a number to id your businsee ( no number applies)

                                  Dormant Foreign Corporation

                                  Rev. Proc. 92-70, 1992-2 C.B. 435, provides a summary filing procedure for filing Form 5471 for a dormant foreign corporation (defined in sec. 3 of Rev. Proc. 92-70). This summary filing procedure will satisfy the reporting requirements of sections 6038 and 6046.

                                  Only

                                • ray_raza2003
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 13, 2014
                                    Thanks. I plan to e-file and hope that I will be able to download this form and attach it to my return. I understand  that there are several free e-filing sites. Btw my inactive corporation is just a piece of land.
                                  • john clark
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 13, 2014
                                      To have your cake and..........

                                      We E-file without Form 5471, wait for the refund, then file an 'Amended return' with the Form 5471. All before May 15th  and everyone is happy!
                                      ( remember out of country get an extra month to file)

                                      John
                                    • Peter Wendell
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 13, 2014
                                        My wife and I have finally made the move. After 3 weeks of doing paperwork, buying a car, etc. in the GAM, we are now down in the San Vito area where we want to rent long-term. We are going to start making the rounds of local business and taking a look at the bulletin boards, etc. But on the off chance that anyone on the list knows of a reasonable 3 bedroom house with a view, hot water, a large porch or rancho, and out of town, please contact me off-list.

                                        Thanks.
                                      • jckincy
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 14, 2014
                                          You have until June 15 for out of country filing extension but all your tax due must be paid by April 15 no matter when you file.  That is your estimated payment must be received by 4/15. You could include
                                          "Form 4868 to apply for 6 more months (4 months if U.S. citizen or resident is out of country) to file Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR, or 1040NR-EZ."

                                          "If a US citizen or resident is out of the country on the regular due date of return, then he/she is allowed 2 extra months to file the return and pay any amount due without requesting an extension. For a calendar year return, this is June 15, 2014. File this form and be sure to check the box if you need an additional 4 months to file your return."

                                          I would recommend writing "out of country filing, two month extension" at the top of the 1040 even if your address on the form is clearly out of the country.  The poor IRS is so over worked that their poor "overworked" clerk might miss that otherwise.

                                        • majbjb
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 17, 2014
                                            Does anyone know if you must file a 5471 if you used an SA to purchase property in CR via a US based self directed IRA (with a US based IRA Custodian)?    My tax guy is telling me "no" but I can't find any mention of there being a difference between the SA being held by an IRA Custodian with property being part of an IRA or an SA being held by an individual.  Thanks!
                                          • attorneykearney
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Feb 17, 2014
                                              In Costa Rica companies are used for two purposes,
                                              1- If the company is doing business it is an active company .
                                              2- If a company is used for the sole purpose of putting a property or vehicle in the name of the company, it is inactive or dormant.

                                              Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson.
                                              attorneykearney@...
                                              Ph: (506)7157-9092
                                            • bestel63
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Feb 18, 2014
                                                My accountant (in the US) has repeatedly told me form 5471 is not required for property purchased with an inactive SA. That seems counter to what most people here say however. So I'm also curious what the facts are regarding this situation.
                                                Tiffany