Receiving a Fedex

  • luck4unme
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 29, 2008
      My bank sent me a replacement ATM via Fedex with instructions "hold for
      pickup (my name)." The "tracker" indicated it's here.

      I called to be sure I could go and get it. The customer service center
      is a call center in Mexico. I was instructed to go to the office Zona
      Franca Metropolitana, Heredia, 800m este Real Cariari to pick up the
      Fedex documents and then to go to the Export terminal Almacen Fiscal
      Tikal to personally clear the envelope through cutoms. They said it
      will take 1-2 hours at customs.

      I have recieved Fedex's in the past and did not have to jump through
      all these hoops. I spent 1 1/2 hours in traffic (fin de mes) and
      finally gave up.

      Questions:

      1 Are there any shortcuts/alternatives to the procedure.

      2 Where is the office from Real Cariari

      3 Where is Almacen Fiscal Tikal?

      Thanks,

      Bob
    • Skollen
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 29, 2008
        >2 Where is the office from Real Cariari

        When you get to Real Cariari, take the road to the first stop light
        (not very far past the entrance) where there's a service station and
        a stop light. Keep to the right. If you go to the left you'll be
        going uphill to Heredia on the concrete road. If you stick to the
        right, it's basically a flat road. It's about 10 blocks and on your
        left. You'll pass a BCR (or is it BNCR) on your right and a place
        that sells fruits and vegetables wholesale. It's about 1.5-2 blocks
        after a service station on the corner. I haven't been there for
        several years, but it used to be that there was a pedestrian entrance
        and a vehicle entrance. You left your cedula with the guards and
        picked it up when you left.

        Tikal sounds familiar but I can't place it, sorry.
      • cstrcstamyst
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 29, 2008
          i don't know the answers to your 3 questions, but i did just go through
          receiving a fedex package that entailed a crazazy amount of effort,
          calling, and money to get through, and it lasted a full week including
          two instances of "incorrect address" and the package going through san
          jose to different places. the vendor even contacted me and warned me
          they were going to charge for fedex returning the thing to them as
          undeliverable! it was a ridiculously handled process, particularly
          compared to my all-time best-rated mail service, the US Postal Service
          courier service (EMS i think it is.).

          previously (at least 4 years ago) i've picked up a laptop from fedex
          and it was a one-step deal at an office in the Forum in santa ana, a
          lot easier.

          that was my recent experience with fedex. i hope it comes in handy when
          someone's making the choice of fedex over USPS.

          > I have recieved Fedex's in the past and did not have to jump through
          > all these hoops. I spent 1 1/2 hours in traffic (fin de mes) and
          > finally gave up.
        • Alajuelanorth
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 29, 2008
            For the excruciating details of what you may be about to experience
            see CRL message # 39337.

            It appears your package is getting some extra scrutiny . . . do let
            us know how you well did . . . leave a day or so for the process
            (particularly if you start late in the day or there has been a huge
            shipment of Chinese pianos that day).

            If the message doesn't give you a good indication of the peculiar
            location of Tical give us a call and I can direct you . . . it's only
            a stones throw from the horrid Fiesta purple hand but then you are not
            a stone so it's not as easy.

            If the item is of little value . . . you may want to just abandon it
            and toast its demise with a couple of beers?

            :-) Berni
          • lindaluvscr
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 29, 2008
              > "My bank sent me a replacement ATM via Fedex ...." by "luck4unme"

              This post prompted me to contribute my recent experiences getting US
              bank cards renewed here. One VISA/debit card expired in November and I
              had the new card mailed through Aerocasillas at ARCR. It never got
              here. The replacement was also sent to my account at ARCR, it ALSO has
              never arrived.
              Another, Paypal debit card, which I applied for as a backup plan in
              case something happened with my regular bank cards was sent to
              Aerocasillas at ARCR in December -- guess what!!! Never got it.

              That is THREE bank cards missing through the ARCR mail forwarding
              service with Aerocasillas.
              The only way for me to get my pension was to have my brother wire
              transfer the money to me at my Banco National account. I have since
              changed my check to direct deposit here. MUCH easier!!

              Another interesting item re: receiving bank cards here - My credit
              union in Colorado has my APDO address in Grecia and they sent my new
              card there by regular mail. I got it in two weeks! I received the
              letter with the new Pin the week before I got the card. I would not
              have had them send it there but it was done without my realizing it. I
              am so glad it was! This is what saved my bacon in accessing my funds
              in the States, as I was able to transfer from the other account whose
              card(s) never showed up.
              I had a similar "all day experience" as "luck4unme" had in getting a
              pkg through Fedex. Interestingly, another pkg a few weeks later came
              straight to a business address I used in Grecia without any customs or
              hassel. Go figger!
            • Barry Stevens
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1 3:26 AM
                --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "luck4unme" <luck4unme@...>
                wrote:

                > My bank sent me a replacement ATM via Fedex
                > Questions:
                > ... 1. Are there any shortcuts/alternatives to the procedure.

                We've had three bank cards sent here over four years using normal US
                Priority Mail. Shoved them into the pages of paperback books, put
                each book into an envelope, and mailed it. One of them was even sent
                activated by mistake. Had the "magic number" sent separately by
                email or telephone. Took 7-10 days, no problems.

                Definitely an alternative procedure.

                Co-Founder, El Puente - The Bridge
                The Bridge provides educational assistance, food assistance, and
                microloans mainly to indigenous people in the southeastern part of
                Costa Rica. Our goal is to help people help themselves to self-
                sufficiency.
                See us at http://www.elpuente-thebridge.org
              • gringatica2003
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1 7:24 AM
                  --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Alajuelanorth" <bernij@...>
                  wrote:

                  > For the excruciating details of what you may be about to experience
                  > see CRL message # 39337.

                  Berni- You are the comic writer extraordinare! I read the archived
                  message and laughed and snickered out loud... and it was practically
                  identical to the experience my husband and I had in trying to get a
                  car part that a company in Austin Texas sent using Fedex. Little did
                  they know Costa Rica version is so different from the USA version.
                  Additionally we did this before the $500.00 ruling, so we additionally
                  had to pay $60.00 for a $12.00 car part! WE also didn't have our car,
                  hence needing a car part, so we had to take the bus to the airport
                  from Atenas where we lived at the time, a taxi back and forth several
                  times on the same aforementioned road. WE also needed more copies of
                  passport and it seemed no one had a copier, so we walked to various
                  buildings until we found someone with a copier. It was a long day
                  but our carburetor finally had the part it needed to feel all better,
                  we got our car after having it at the taller for 5 weeks and it
                  actually passed RTV that year too. Moral to the story, never never use
                  FedEx.
                • Ed Reames
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 1 6:01 PM
                    We get mail directly at our hotel here in Tilarán from the US with no
                    hassle. The mail often arrives in less that two weeks of the posted date.

                    We also get mail directly at the ARCR APDO from within CR and from the
                    US without any hassle.

                    Delivery to the Aerocasillas PO box or physical address in Miami with
                    forwarding to ARCR has also gone well.

                    Any express deliveries of anything to any address in CR is always a
                    problem. In four years, we have never received anything sent via Fedex
                    to any address here, ever. Fedex deliveries always are bounced back to
                    the US.

                    Ed Reames
                    Tilarán, Gte

                  • glenn stafford
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 2 8:17 AM
                      Please delete the message that you are responding to.

                      Moderator
                      - -

                      Is there a possibilty for a gringo to set up a DHL or
                      shipping distributorship to help all people out of
                      these bad situations
                    • Alajuelanorth
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 3 5:38 AM
                        > to help all people out of
                        > these bad situations

                        Actually, they are not always really bad situations . . .
                        they are the local literal interpretation of the defined or legal
                        process . . .
                        the fact that the actual process (interminable bureaucracy)
                        and the intended result (express shipping)
                        do not properly intersect are mere factoids, not problems requiring
                        actual resolution.

                        Something to consider . . . FedEx can deliver ice to Eskimos and sand
                        to Berbers second day delivery but can't get past the Aforador at the
                        Tical building . . . every time the chairman of FedEx convenes his
                        board of directors the subject of Costa Rica comes up he just groans
                        and tells em "well, you gotta understand it's Costa Rica!".

                        Berni
                        reminded that the things we learned all those years about necessities
                        are not necessarily so