Alajuela Tips

  • Skollen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2008
      Manudos (that's Alajuela residents to you CR
      lingo challenged folks), I always knew that the
      little store across the street from the post
      office in Alajuela had some of the same products
      that are sold at Tips in San Jose. Today I
      discovered that they carry non-gritty
      confectioner's sugar and artificial flavorings
      such as almond, mint, etc. I wanted to bake some
      almond cookies last month and couldn't find the
      flavorings in any of the supermarkets in town and
      ended up buying a double shot of almond liqueur
      at a bar. It worked but it was much more
      expensive than a single bottle of the concentrated flavoring.

      The sugar is called "azúcar refinada" and the
      extracts are called "esencia de almendra, menta, etc."

      Interestingly enough, they are also a veterinary
      supply store and carry some seeds such as
      culantro, carrots, etc. Yep, you can buy a saddle
      pad, a machete, culantro seeds, a baking pan, a
      dog carrier, cat food, mint flavoring, and a rake
      in one fell swoop. Who says Hipermas has got a corner on variety?
    • Alajuelanorth
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2008
        The missing culantro seed store!!! We have been looking for these for
        ages . . . thanks . . . this is the same store that sells pots and
        pans across from the post office? Berni
      • Skollen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2008
          >this is the same store that sells pots and pans across from the post office?

          Yep, called "La Granja" or "El Granjero" -- I forget. I bought
          culantro seeds there about 6-8 months ago. I just hadn't wandered far
          enough into the back to see the flavorings and hadn't noticed the
          refined sugar in the beer cooler behind the cashier until yesterday.
          I also found a kitchen timer there when there were none at Cemaco.
        • Paul Mitchell
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 31, 2008
            --- "Alajuelanorth" <bernij@...> wrote:

            > The missing culantro seed store
            > ... the same store that sells pots and
            > pans across from the post office?

            That's the very one, Berni.

            But be cautious about the seeds. I've been in
            that store on several trips to CR (in different
            years) recently. I saw the seeds there in a
            display on the back [N.] wall of the store.

            Upon examining the seed packets, imprinted
            on the reverse side of the envelopes was the
            notice: 'Packed for YYYY season', but the year
            was the previous year each time and it so
            happened that I was in the store during March
            on each occasion.

            I don't know if it is still there, but there
            was a big 'Semillero' (seedsman) store in San
            José with a lot of selection, with seeds that
            were sold in whatever portion that you needed,
            measured out of large cannisters. Their stock
            (seeds) were always fresh ones, packed for the
            current planting season.

            This store was located on the north side of the
            block that the Hotel Europa sits on and may be
            there still today. That would put the store at
            C 5, Av 0-2, middle of the block, on S. side of
            the street. I never learned its name. Just was
            curious enough to go inside and look around
            on occasion to see what all they had.

            I knew it was there cuz I used to always stay
            at the old Pensión Otoya (up 'til the mid-90s),
            which used to be nearby at C 0, Av 5-7 before
            it was razed to make way for a bus garage.

            Hope this is useful for you.

            Paul
            ==