Airline Travel

  • The Tribe
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2001
      Hi All,

      Our son is leaving for the USA Monday. When we purchase his airline ticket, we will have an extra $25.00 charge for "baggage search". We have been told that due to the lack of funds, they have hired an American company to search baggage for the airlines. I have not heard of this before, has anyone on the list been charged for this ; or, is this something new?

      Thanks,
      Fran
    • CAVIAR5@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
        I haven't heard anything about this.  I just purchased two tickets on American Airlines to fly out of San Jose to Miami and back and was not told of any additional charges.  You might want to check that out a little further.  Is it on a local airlines or a major airlines?

        Pam
      • numatico@racsa.co.cr
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
          List,

          Since the events of 9/11, the US has been doling out unfunded mandates
          to boost airport security, both domestically and abroad. The unfunded
          mandate is an old trick that has been used mostly on the 50 states; due
          to its resounding success there, it has been expanded recently to cover
          all US possessions and territories worldwide.

          Unfortunately, Costa Rica is not (yet) officially represented in the US
          Congress, so you can't write your congressman about it. Perhaps it is
          some comfort to know that you pay for the same thing in the US; the
          difference is simply that it is not a line item on your ticket.

          Regards,

          Willy Smith

          > Our son is leaving for the USA Monday. When we purchase his
          > airline ticket, we will have an extra $25.00 charge for "baggage
          > search".
          <snip>