RACSA problems

  • CAVIAR5@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2001
      Hi all,

      Just thought I'd share this with you.   I connect via Amnet 2-way cable.  I continue to use my existing AOL account that I have had for ten years without difficulty in the exact same manner that I did when I connected via DSL in the states.  My Email address is still my old AOL one.  I have NO problems sending or receiving mail.  The only problems I have had are the "occassional" downtimes that are out of Amnet's control.  For the most part, I have been satisfied with my Internet experience here and since I rely it for work, it has to be reliable.

      Pam
    • Ray Beise
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2001

        Pam,

        That’s great news!   Can you tell me how to obtain this service in rural Guanacaste?

        Just kidding!

        Ray Beise

        Pura Jungla Nature Reserve and Eco-Community

        Apdo. #12  Santa Cruz

        Guanacaste, Costa Rica

        506-658-8160

        www.lapurajungla.com

        Just thought I'd share this with you.   I connect via Amnet 2-way cable.  I continue to use my existing AOL account that I have had for ten years without difficulty in the exact same manner that I did when I connected via DSL in the states.  My Email address is still my old AOL one.  I have NO problems sending or receiving mail.  The only problems I have had are the "occassional" downtimes that are out of Amnet's control.  For the most part, I have been satisfied with my Internet experience here and since I rely it for work, it has to be reliable.

        Pam

        For our web page: http://www.costaricaliving.org/
        To access our Corkboard click on: http://www.costarica.eboard.com

        Addresses:
        Post message: CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com
        Subscribe:  CostaRicaLiving-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        COSTA RICA LIVING...PURA VIDA!

      • lencho999@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2001
          Hey Everyone,
          Your site contains a lot a useful info and is greatly
          appreciated. Like some of you, I am considering a move to Costa
          Rica. I've been there a few times and have done a little bit of
          research, so I pretty much know what I am getting into. My main
          concern at this point is the internet access. I work on-line and a
          reliable connection for 4 hours every weekday morning is a
          neccesity. I've heard that there is some "downtime" involved with
          Racsa, both dial-up and Amnet cable. How frequent is this? Is it
          possible to have both cable and dial-up as a back-up? (silly question
          in the US, but,hey, this is not the US). Also, when the "new
          internet line" was publicized last year, a mention was made to the
          idea that it was only available in homes, not apartments. This was
          referring to some new line that was being laid under the ocean. I
          don't know what's the story with all that. Thanks in advance for
          any advice or assistance and pura vida,
          Larry Linn

          P.S. Anyone know the going rate for a Pilsen and boca at the Soda
          Morazon in front of the Holiday Inn Aurola? I guess we all have our
          own cost of living reference! Thanks!

        • numatico@racsa.co.cr
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
            > reliable connection for 4 hours every weekday morning is a
            > neccesity. I've heard that there is some "downtime" involved with
            > Racsa, both dial-up and Amnet cable. How frequent is this?

            It's gotten better. Currently, I have dialup problems only about once a
            month. My direct satellite connection (bypass RACSA entirely) was down
            less (maybe once every two months, or when it was raining very hard)
            but was too expensive ($500/mo).

            > Is it
            > possible to have both cable and dial-up as a back-up? (silly
            > question in the US, but,hey, this is not the US).

            Cable connections are still RACSA connections, so if RACSA is down
            they're down too. Of course, it could be a problem at the cable
            company, but this hasn't been the case for friends of mine who have
            cable.

            > Also, when
            > the "new internet line" was publicized last year, a mention was made
            > to the idea that it was only available in homes, not apartments.
            > This was referring to some new line that was being laid under the
            > ocean. I don't know what's the story with all that.

            Hadn't heard that. The new fiber optic line (Maya cable) is operational
            and has greatly increased the bandwidth available here.

            I'm trading for four hours in the morning also, and aboslutely MUST
            have a connection during trading hours. For my backup system, I have
            made friends with a company that has a direct connection to the
            backbone here. I've only had to do this once, but it is comforting to
            know that I can pack my laptop and drive for twenty minutes to secure a
            connection. There are quite a few such companies here, and you could
            probably make a similar arrangement.

            One learns to be creative and get around the system when one has to
            live here!

            Regards,

            Willy Smith