Ochomogo: Deja vue, otra vez!

  • Alfred I. Fiks, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 30 3:16 PM
      Imagine! Tico Times didn't report it; La Nación ignored it; La República shunned it; Channel 7 local news neglected it; CNN? forget it.  Here's what happened.

      The confrontation between Ticos and Ticos in Alto de Ochomogo (on the main highway between San Jose and Cartago) in March of this year (supposedly in protest over the "ICE Combo" bill) was not  the first time it occurred at that spot!

      When CR independence from Spain was proclaimed in October 1821, sentiment in Cartago (then, the capital of CR ) was pro-monarchy and in favor of joining the Mexican Empire.  The leadership in San Jose, however, was more liberally-inclined to a republican form of government.

      In 1822, Agustin de Iturbide became Emperor of Mexico; monarchic sentiment hardened in Cartago.

       March 1823 sees the first coup d'etat in CR; the monarchists take control of the Cartago HQ and armory. Oreamuno takes command. Pro-republicans have to flee Cartago for their lives.

      Leaders in liberal San Jose and Alajuela become worried. Ramirez is picked to organize their troops, and on 4 April 1823 the contingent sets out to confront the Cartagoans. That night, they camp in Tres Rios.

      Dawn of the next day, April 5, the two armies meet, at the Batalla of Alto de Ochomogo, the first fraticidal confrontation in CR history!  The monarchist troops are routed and flee back to Cartago with the republicans in hot pursuit.

      Conclusion: The March 2000 event was a re-enactment of sorts of the events that transpired 177 years earlier. How do I know this? I can only submit the following evidence for your consideration:

          1.  In the original event of 1823, blood was actually spilled; in 2000 not a drop.

          2.  Both instances were unnecessary: In 1823, blood was spilled needlessly because Agustin had abdicated and the Mexican Empire had gone out of business 3 weeks earlier (18 March 1823.) This March, the gas shortages, spoiled produce, short tempers, lost classes,  and general frustration with the road blockage in Ochomogo were unneeded, as the Court declared the "ICE Combo" bill illegal, in any case.

      If I haven't convinced you entirely that the recent confrontation was only a re-enactment,  at least we may now have a little more historical perspective of our host country.

       But I don't understand why the media didn't portray the true nature of the event...

      Alfred
    • Haymo Henry Heyder
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 30 10:19 PM

        Hi Alfred,

        Thanks for the enlightenment!

        Do you, or anybody else, have the story with “the mule and the cannon” at some battle around Cartago? It came out ages ago in the Tico Times, but I lost it.

        TT-ers:  if somebody of you is listening in, please provide us with the story! Mooches gracious in advance.

        Have a good “Lenin & Groucho Day” you All! (Poor kids, they really deserve it, since times are not what they used to be any more…)

        Haymo

      • Stan & Linda Rolinski
        Message 3 of 20 , May 1, 2000
          HI! I wanted to let everyone know that we've sold our house and are moving
          from Costa Rica to Patagonia, Arizona, a small town about an hour south of
          Tucson. I want to thank everyone on this list for making it such a success.

          The new "owner/moderator" of this list is Chuck Leake. He was instrumental
          in helping me start this list and it began as a success from the start
          largely thanks to him and his advice to me, which I've always gratefully
          followed. Thanks for everything Chuck, and good luck to you!

          I'll be on from time to time especially with my FOR SALE list for now, and
          I'll sign up again as a member when I get to the States. Stan is leaving
          May 25th and Alex & I will follow when school get's out sometime after June
          16th.

          For those who want to attend our goodbye-party/jam session, I'll keep you
          informed of when & where. And I still plan on sending that picture of the
          scam artist, as soon as I get it from my friend, to those who wanted that
          also.

          I want to especially thank Roy Lent, Haymo and Alfred for their WONDERFUL
          contributions to this list and beg that they keep up the 'good work'. I
          don't want to miss any of it, so what I do miss, I'll read in the archives
          when I get to the States. Thanks also to Dianne & all who's names escape
          me just now for their contributions also.

          Thanks to everyone for your help and kindness and friendship. I'll never
          forget.

          LOVE TO ALL,

          Linda Rolinski
          254-5807
          rolinski@...
          masqua@...
        • Sharon Wallace & Richard Maehl
          Message 4 of 20 , May 1, 2000
            Ooooh! For Sale! Do post a list, Linda! I buy everything possible from
            people leaving the country. Any bikes?

            Pura Arizona...funny...we're starting to plan a trip to Patagonia,
            Argentina/Chile

            Sharon
          • Sharon Wallace & Richard Maehl
            Message 5 of 20 , May 1, 2000
              Emma Glencross? Just curious:)
            • Stan & Linda Rolinski
              Message 6 of 20 , May 1, 2000
                LIVING ROOM SET: 7 ft couch, 5ft loveseat, easy chair, recliner, 2 end
                tables (22x26 glass top) 2 lamps, 38 x 38 smoked glass coffee table 8 x 5
                throw rug & long 'reception' table that goes behind the 5 ft loveseat &
                ottoman...everything matches of course 800 bucks. obo

                Another living room corner couch set...almost new...400 bucks... obo

                QUEEN size bed, 2 matching night stands, 1 large 8-drawer dresser w/mirror,
                large 5-drawer amoire, beautiful set...700 bucks obo

                Everything was brought from the States and is VERY comfortable, and VERY nice.

                All kinds of other assorted stuffs. Come & see!

                Linda Rolinski
                254-5807
                rolinski@...
                masqua@...
              • Haymo Henry Heyder
                Message 7 of 20 , May 1, 2000

                  Hi Linda,

                  Although your “pata” is gonia,

                  Way up to old’ Arizonia,

                  I’m sure we’re all gonna miss you!

                  Therefore, dear Linda, let’s kiss you.

                  Thank you, muchas gracias, vielen Dank, mille grazie, and hartelijk bedankt!

                  Haymo

                  Nota:  now I am going to take the bike out for a spin, and do an extra honor round in Escazú for you!

                • Stan & Linda Rolinski
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 1, 2000
                    Hi Sharon! HAAAAA! Yeah, PATAGONIA of all places! Like Chile or the
                    Argentine. I also have a small motorscooter for sale. I forget to
                    mention. I forgot to mention a lot of stuff, but I'll get around to it, so
                    if there's anything specific anyone wants, ask & I'll say if we have it or
                    not. Bicycles...no, but we also wanna sell our airplane.

                    Thanks, Chuck, for your kind words, and again for all your help. You're
                    the one who's really been running this list anyway, especially for the last
                    few weeks, and thank you for that too!

                    Susan, I didn't know Emma moved to California!!! Where did she move to? I
                    miss CA. AZ is our 2nd choice!

                    Regards,

                    Linda R
                  • Stan & Linda Rolinski
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 1, 2000
                      HI! Haymo! Cuuuuute poem! Thanks! Sharon, yeah, it's that Emma.

                      We also have many drinking/bar glasses for sale cheap too if anyone's
                      interested. AND YES! WE DO HAVE A BICYCLE. Call Stan or Alex for the
                      details...I didn't even know we still had it.

                      Regards,

                      Linda R
                      254-5807
                    • Stan & Linda Rolinski
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 1, 2000
                        HI ALL! I also have keyboards for sale, Casio 100 bucks... obo.

                        Attention Elena of The Literary Cat! FREE bunch of books. Technical
                        (geek) books, like "Printed Circuits Handbook" ( a "must read"!) as well as
                        some really good books. Come & get 'em. You or anyone. We have lots of
                        books for donation, including a whole bunch of religious books, lives of
                        the Saints, etc.

                        Later!
                        Linda R
                      • Stan & Linda Rolinski
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 5, 2000
                          Pentium 100, 32 mgs of RAM, 3.7 gb hard drive 3 hard drives, 14" color
                          XVGA monitor $350.00 obo

                          Electric Stove $200.00

                          Side-by-side refrigerator/freezer $600.00 obo

                          Washer/Dryer Fridigidaire $500.00 for both obo

                          Corner couch set, 8 or 9 ft (big) $400.00 NEW (But still obo

                          7 ft & 5ft blue couch $200.00 obo

                          Student desk, nice wood, no chair $40.00 obo

                          Metal office desk 60" x 30" $15.00

                          Old ugly gray typing desk/stand $5.00

                          No reasonable offer refused on any of this stuff.

                          Call Stan & Linda Rolinski
                          254-5807
                        • Marilyn
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 10, 2001
                            FOR SALE:
                            2000 Kymco, 150 CC ( "Harley wannabe") purchased off showroom floor,
                            ridden only three times, 140 KM total milage. Black and Chrome,
                            beautiful little bike..extras include leather saddle bags and handle bar
                            streamers. Taxes are paid and tico plates are up to date..$2250.00 US
                            dollars FIRM... call 506-229-8346 or 506-391-0353
                            --
                            Marilyn

                            Web Page & Graphic Design
                            Affordable & Effective!
                            Marilyn's Web Design
                            http://www.marilynd.com

                            Quality Homes for Sale By Owners in Costa Rica!
                            http://costaricahomefinders.com

                            "You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world
                            to one person."
                            Author Unknown
                          • alec kitson
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 23, 2007
                              FOR SALE due to over-enthusiastic purchase...

                              24 litres baby oil.

                              I large carton of ostrich feathers.

                              Replies offline please to the list owner.

                            • steveandpaulacr
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 14, 2008
                                1 bamboo and rattan book case - $175.00

                                1 painting of a Mot-Mot - $100.00

                                1 collage by Chacon - $500.00

                                Please reply by phone: 2282-6843
                              • steveandpaulacr
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 11, 2010
                                  AVALON CONDOMIUMS IN SANTA ANA

                                  Unit:
                                  C-206:
                                  Area: 93.20 square metre

                                  3 bed rooms
                                  1 walk-in closet
                                  2 full showers
                                  2 balconies
                                  1 Air conditioning
                                  1 Elec. oven/cooker

                                  Parking:
                                  Area: 28.60 square metre
                                  2 spaces

                                  Storage:
                                  Area: 3.91 square metre
                                  With wooden shelves for organization.

                                  Price:
                                  $189,000 with furniture

                                  * The apt. is registered under a SA.
                                  ** Buyer responsible for transfering cost and tax, if applicable.
                                • Paula
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 9, 2011
                                    I have a hairdressing sink for sale. Ideal for someone starting their own hairdressing business at home.

                                    ¢25,000/$50.00 or best offer.

                                    Paula Friedman
                                    2282-6843
                                    rocky1.steve@...

                                    Please contact me off-line
                                  • David Rivera
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 27, 2011
                                      HUMMINGBIRD 587CI COMBO - $750
                                      Fish Finder
                                      Brand New in Box Never Opened
                                      Ultra high-contrast, high definition display High-sensitivity Sonar Echo Enhancement® Accelerated Real Time™ Sonar One-Touch™ 2x, 4x, 6x, or 8x split screen zoom Fish ID+™ with target depth or view sonar returns Selectable large digits view User-friendly X-Press™ menus Automatic or manual operation Fully adjustable backlight Tilt and swivel quick-release mounting Feature memory Waterproof Hydrodynamic transducer with temperature Optional speed and Triplog with distance, average speed, and elapsed time Big 320V x 240H 4.5'' color TFT display with DualBeam sonar that has 20º and 60º beams 16-channel GPS+WAASBuilt-in 30m per pixel resolution UniMap™ of U.S. inland lakes, rivers, and coastlines Compatible with Navionics® charts 2400 watts peak-to-peak power output Reliable up to 1,000' depthIn dash mount: 5.4''H x 6.9''W x 1.25''D One-year warranty The Humminbird Fishfinder 587ci Combo offers high performance for serious anglers! The Fishfinder 587ci Combo delivers tremendous value with its high-performance sonar and high-contrast color or monochrome display, plus user-friendly operation that lets you focus on fishing, not punching buttons! Manufacturer model #: 407350-1.

                                      DuneBuggy NEW - $4000.00

                                      2009 DUNEBUGGY
                                      Engine: 250cc, 4 stroke, Water Cooled
                                      Transmission: Auto w/ Reverse
                                      Starter System: Electris Start
                                      Net Weight: 550 lbs
                                      Max Load Capacity: 440 lbs
                                      Fuel Tank Capacity: 6
                                      Tire Size Front: 19 x 708
                                      Tire Size Rear: 18 x 9.5-8
                                      Speed: 40+ mph
                                      Fuel: Unleaded
                                      Color Available: Red, Black, Blue and Green

                                      ATV- Honda engine - $3000

                                      Engine: 4-Stroke, Single Cylinder w/ Air-Cooled
                                      4 Speeds, w/ clutch
                                      Capacity of Cylinder: 250CC
                                      Start Model: Electric
                                      Ignition Model: CDI
                                      Lubrication: Pressure spray
                                      Transmission: 4 Speed Shift w/ Reverse
                                      Clutch Mode: Wet Multiple
                                      Brake System: Front Drum & Rear Disc Brake
                                      Tire size (front and rear): 19*7-8/18*9.5-8
                                      Top speed: 50km/h
                                      Overall Length (mm): 1480
                                      Overall Width (mm): 830
                                      Overall Height (mm): 800
                                      Net Weightt: 135kg
                                      Fuel Capaity: 6.5L
                                      color: orange, red, blue, green

                                      1989 Wellcraft 25 ft Walkaround w/ aluminum Trailer

                                      .

                                      Boat is in great shape, twin 200 yamaha 2 stroke engines. Powerheads were remanufactured by yamaha in august of 2010 just before the boat came to costa rica 0 hrs on powerheads. Has full bath and sleeps 4 comfortably, raw water washdown, freshwater tank, t-top, outriggers, furuno radar w 9 inch color display, twin batteries, 1000 gph auto bilge pump, aerator, livewell and aerator baitwell, aluminum trailer with 4 wheel disc brakes bought brand new in 2006. A must see. All yours for $15000.00

                                      Contact for more info or pics
                                      costaricatours10@...
                                    • Paula
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 10 1:51 PM
                                        Golf Clubs:

                                        Taylor Made golf bag,
                                        Taylor Made Nubbins M6 Putter,
                                        Taylor Made Super Steel Burner Pitching Wedge,
                                        Taylor Made Super Steel Burner Sand Wedge,
                                        Taylor Made Super Steel Burner 3,4,5,6,,7,8,9 Irons,
                                        Taylor Made Super Steel Burner 3,5 Woods
                                        Taylor Made Super Steel Burner 10.5 Diver
                                        Nike Long Stiff Flex 9.5 Driver

                                        Lots o fextra golf balls and tees.

                                        $325.00 or best offer - ideal for a beginner.

                                        Steve Friedman
                                        2282-6843
                                      • Steve Friedman
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 13, 2013
                                          If anyone is looking for a good, set of golf clubs I have the following for sale:

                                          Taylor Made golf bag
                                          Taylor Made Nubbins M6 putter
                                          Taylor Made Super Steel Burner Pitching Wedge
                                          Taylor Made Super Steel Burner Sand Wedge
                                          Taylor Made Super Steel Burner 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 irons
                                          Taylor Made Super steel Burner 3,5 woods
                                          Taylor Made Super Steel Burner 10.5 Driver
                                          Nike Long Stiff Flex 9.5 Driver
                                          Lots of extra balls and tees

                                          $325 or best offer - is ideal for a learner.

                                          Steve Friedman
                                        • steveandpaulacr
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 29, 2014
                                            Are you looking for a LIFE STYLE CHANGE?? Disenchanted w/ U.S.
                                            Politics??

                                            Here is your chance to own your own small , boutique Bed &
                                            Breakfast in the great residential location of Cariari, Heredia.
                                            Just 10 min from Juan Santa Maria Airport & 15 min to Downtown
                                            San Jose.-- Close to all the bus lines. Located on the 11th hole
                                            of the Beautiful , Famous & Difficult Cariari Country Club. 18
                                            hole Golf course, 7 or more indoor/outdoor tennis courts,
                                            saunas/steam, jacuzzi, Full gym, Olympic Pool plus 2 other
                                            pools--Childrens’Playground, plus various classes.

                                            Step into a well established B & B business w/o all the start -up
                                            problems. We have a great clientel w/ many regulars. Enjoy
                                            meeting lovely people, w/ very interesting backgrounds, Eat
                                            fresh , healthy foods, & almost everyone walks in Cariari. It is
                                            a very cosmopolitan area w/ people from all over the world incl.
                                            Costa Rica.

                                            The Central Valley is very social --if that is what you want --or
                                            Pvt. --if that is what you are looking for. There is an excellent
                                            Symphony, Dance of ALL variations , incl. a Ballet Co. -Opera Co.
                                            & the Oldest , continually running--English speaking Community
                                            Theater in Central America & we believe in all of So.
                                            America--LTG--Little Theater Group. There is the Costa Rica
                                            Womens Club---The Newcomers Club---Rotary Club--
                                            Mens’Investment Club--I could go on & On ---but you get the idea.

                                            Another advantage of a Small B & B---you do not need alot of help.
                                            I have 1 women full time & a Gardener once or twice a week.
                                            You don’t become rich--BUT, it helps support your lifestyle & is a lot of fun & very interesting interesting
                                            life style while enjoying this Beautiful Country!

                                            Are you looking for a healthy life-style change ?Own your own boutique bed and breakfast with a loyal clientele
                                            in the heart of Costa Rica, one of the most stable, prosperous and progressive nations in Latin America. Considered the greenest country in the world, peaceful democracy, lower cost of living, tropical climate year round with a very large American community.

                                            Contact me off list for contact information.

                                            Paula