Re: DENGUE FEVER Mora-Palmichal stats

  • ojochal1
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
      that Dengue was
      > normally more common in urban areas. Most
      > likely, I would think, because of population
      > density.

      Actually it is not the density but rather the availability of two
      things: 1) what they feed on, the mosquitoes that is, which is people,
      and 2) more available breeding grounds like rain filled spare tires,
      buckets, etc and poor sanitation.Increased population of an urban
      setting is not sufficient in itself, but the conditions that can
      accompany it can be a contributor.

      Increased world travel, and other mobility issues, is another important
      variable in the spread. Also, it is drastically underreported and under
      or misdiagnosed. It is likely to be more accurately diagnosed in urban
      settings with more advanced medical facilities available.

      This kind of research is very difficult to do well.