Re: [CostaRicaLiving] Re:Why do Visa Runs? Why not get residency?

  • Arp Laszlo
    Message 1 of 52 , Sep 30, 2007
      Perhaps it's only a matter of time:
      http://blog.relocationcr.com/2007-09-30/deportation/
    • iamgodsjoy
      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 4, 2007
        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, Divine1 <lfdivine@...> wrote:

        > PLEASE HELP!
        > I have a friend that is telling me to wait to establish residency.
        She thinks.....

        Just because a friend told you to put off residency doesn't mean it's
        the right thing for you. If you have made the commitment to live here,
        then why put off residency? I for one would find it a nightmare to
        have to take a trip to Panama or Nicaragua every 3 months, with all
        that entails, including an ongoing cost that would run into thousands
        per year. I know other people do it, but what a hassle. Since I LIVE
        here and intend to stay, the one time cost of establishing residency
        has been worth it.

        If you have your papers together, the first thing is finding a good
        lawyer, one that you can trust. Though mine was relatively expensive,
        she did the job, giving my husband and I carte blanche treatment. We
        never even stood in a line! But any competent attorney can file your
        paperwork and get you an appointment. You should know that immigration
        is undergoing a major overhaul right now as thousands of files have
        been lost, causing those of us seeking renewal a reprieve until next
        year to get our new carnet. My sons, newly arrived a month ago, were
        not able to get an appointment until next year, but because there is a
        file opened on them in immigration by our attorney, they are
        considered in the system and legal to stay past the three months.

        If you fit one of the profiles (rentista, pensionado, etc.) then it is
        relatively simple, though time consuming, as everyone knows what it is
        like to wait all day at immigration. But your lawyer should pave the
        way for you, having all the paperwork on file and ready. Go ahead and
        get your appointment at the consulate near where you live, bring your
        papers and get them processed. Also, check out some competent,
        reliable CR attorneys from posts and files here, also on the MSN board
        (go to LINKS?). Costs vary from attorney to attorney, so I cannot
        confirm what you might be charged. Here, as anywhere, you are likely
        to get what you pay for, so don't think you can get by cheaply. I've
        encountered many people who thought they were getting a great deal,
        and later realized that they had been ripped off. When you come here,
        have your lawyer file your paperwork and get you an appointment. You
        can then stay or go as you please, and not worry about the 3 month rule.

        It really is a matter of choice, how you personally conduct your life
        and what you can live with. I will never regret going ahead and
        getting my residency. I have been here 3 years, and if I had to make
        an $800 trip every three months that would have come to almost
        $10,000! My residency was less than a quarter of that and I'm free to
        do as I please. That's how I prefer it.

        SuZen