Re: [CostaRicaLiving] the youngsters

  • Nancy Ellis
    Message 1 of 49 , Sep 30, 2007
      Thanks!!! That's exactly what I was thinking. I find
      Mo's thoughts very disfunctional.I grew up in Berkeley
      in a university environment, but experienced and very
      much believed that the world was going in a way that I
      did not agree with. Peace!! What a concept. Still
      valid today and one of the reasons we are going to
      move, buy property and live in a country that is
      peaceful. Gimme? I didn't ask for anything, raised two
      great kids who certainly are not on the side of the
      road begging as Mo suggested. I am done giving that
      guy one more minute of my time. Sincerely, Nancy
    • cybersuze@yahoo.com
      Message 49 of 49 , Oct 20, 2007
        Quoting many here:

        "I think if someone was to poll most of the Costa Rican kids,
        and they were honest about it they would tell you they all want
        to emulate the kids in the US."

        One doesn't even need to ask the kids in order to see the impact
        of U.S. and European movies and U.S. television shows on their
        lives. I bet the emulation isn't even conscious for most of them,
        though most who have learned and/or perfected their English
        this way seem to be well aware of it.

        It blew my mind to see how alike teenagers and young adults in
        Costa Rica are to those in the U.S., including the seemingly
        permanently attached cellphones with their incessant text
        messages being exchanged if they're not currently talking.

        Sometimes you can even tell exactly what shows or movies the
        person's been hooked on by the clothes he or she wears and ex-
        pressions used. Even by gestures.

        "Hopefully, having a stronger, more family-oriented culture will
        help CR avoid some of the more negative aspects of pop culture
        modelling."

        Hey, guess what? Parents in Costa Rica are just as busy and can
        be just as neglectful, indulgent or self-centered as parents
        anywhere else in the world. I guess it's not so surprising that
        the most spoiled kids I've encountered have come from the
        wealthiest, most self-involved parents though, as has been
        pointed out already, one needn't be particularly wealthy in Costa
        Rica to have servants feed, clothe, bathe, etc., one's children
        instead of giving them more personal attention.

        And then there are the unmarried women with many children
        from different fathers. Sometimes she might even have been
        married to one or more of them, but if she's currently not, just
        like women in other countries that mom's probably more
        interested in snaring her next man than taking care of and
        spending quality time with her kids.

        Additionally, in my experience even many of the poorest
        families who can barely afford food will have a television, and
        possibly cable or a satellite dish. Just like in other countries
        people know someone who knows someone who works for the
        cable or satellite company and share accounts, with or without
        the subscriber knowing they're sharing. The family might have
        a dirt floor and nothing to eat but beans, but they're all huddled
        around the big screen TV, often with the neighbors, for hours
        at a time watching TV and movies from all over the place.

        Yes, it's a family-oriented event, but I sincerely doubt that any
        aspects of pop culture are being left out.

        "BTW, we had air raid drills because of the great red menace, had to put
        our heads in the desks pointed at the windows to "mitigate the effects
        of the nuclear blast" (yeah great protection). Let them imagine
        that...."

        In my school we were herded out into a long, dark hallway whose
        only windows were way up high and made to crouch down along
        the walls. Thank goodness we never actually got bombed and had to
        use this fine method of protection!

        "I have to say the nice thing here is that kids do have a lot more
        freedom.
        I can feel good sending my 8 year old to the store or riding his bike on
        the road and even exploring the coffee plantation with friends. It
        really warms my heart that it is still like that here, we need to be
        safe but in the US I would never allow these things, you just can't!!"

        One of the reasons children in some areas seem to have more freedom
        is because their parents are busy working trying to keep their enormous
        families fed, clothed and housed and/or simply don't know better than
        to keep their kids better protected.

        What about the snakes, insects and terrible roads you're sending your
        kids out to? But hey, as long as it warms the parent's heart to have
        the kids out there with local kids whose parents are also cool with
        it...
        I sure hope your kids can at least speak and understand Spanish so
        they'll know when someone's trying to warn them to stay away from
        that snake or bug or huge pit they're about to ride their bikes into!

        I know the child molestation issue has already been mentioned regarding
        this, but it actually happens to be a huge thing in this country,
        possibly
        more so even than in some others, as it seems to be somewhat culturally
        accepted (if I've understood it correctly) that older people, not always
        adults, either, will teach the younger ones about things like sex. I
        might be
        mistaken, but that's been my perception of it when it's come up in
        conver-
        sations where ticos have been present to participate.

        Sort of like the way the guys in Costa Rica expect to have extramarital
        sex. I've even had gringos here try to justify it to me by saying
        it's looked
        at differently. Yep, guys seem to be more open about telling you they
        want
        you as their little bit on the side while having no intention of
        ending a
        marriage. Does that mean they want their woman to know about it? NO!
        Their women will threaten to murder someone her guy's been just
        flirting with,
        whether or not that woman has any actual interest in him. I guess
        it's not all
        that surprising, since there seem to be so many more men than women
        in this
        country and, I believe in fact, there are. Since I'm not currently
        online I can't
        check and couldn't find the last statistics I saw, which I believe
        were in the CIA
        World Factbook.

        No wonder Costa Rican men seem to get furious sometimes about
        immigrants with more money than they have who are looking for ticas
        to get involved with! I'm surprised there hasn't been discussions about
        this on the board, unless I've missed them, or unless you guys who are
        getting involved with those fine Costa Rican ladies are oblivious to
        the enmity it generates. Hey, I'm only reporting what I've been told
        here!
        And, of course, since I'm a straight single female I might hear more
        about
        it than you do.

        One would think there'd be plenty of men to go around though, huh?