DENGUE FEVER and Yahoo

  • juliovancouver
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
      Yahoo newsws service is stating that there has been a dramatic rise in
      dangue fever in central america and mexico .. both types

      stayed at St Theresa last year and they sprayed there also.. apparently
      dengue is moving into more urban areas.. some recent stats would be
      helpful .. any comments

      paul
    • cstrcstamyst
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
        I live in Ciudad Colon and received a visit a few days ago from the
        local Dengue fighters (CAJA people?). The told me we had dengue for
        sure on my block, and handed me a couple of sheets of paper. One has
        numbers as follows, dated 25 Sept 2007, for the Mora-Palmichal sector
        (Ciudad Colon, Puriscal):

        Cases identified to date: 48
        Cases positive for hemorragic dengue: 1
        Cases positive for "classic" dengue: 10

        La Fila de Guayabo: 1
        Sector East of Ciudad Colon: 1
        Satna Cecilia: 1
        Altos de San Rafael: 1
        Sector West of Ciudad Colon: 2
        Bajos de Loaiza Tabarcia: 1
        Quitirrisi: 2
        Palmichal: 2

        There's a chart of "suspected cases" vs "positive cases" month by
        month, which I have to assume means the # of cases people think have
        happened in their houses, vs the # who bothered to go to the clinic
        and get verified. The highest months of the year were January at 11
        suspected cases and 3 verified, as well as August with 12 suspected
        cases and 1 identified.

        Also there's a chart on the prinicipal breeding grounds found from
        1999 through 2003, with "recipientes" leading the pack. Recipientes I
        am pretty sure just means, "stuff that holds stuff" like plastic cups
        or flower pots.

        Hope this helps. I read in La Nacion that the fight against Dengue is
        getting very organized and the workers are out educating and trying
        to curb the tide this year. This has been one of the worst years in a
        long time, if memory serves.

        Amy

        > dengue is moving into more urban areas.. some recent stats would be
        > helpful .. any comments
      • ojochal1
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
          I hope that as they gather the statistics they also interview the
          people to see where they have been, not just where they are when they
          report the problem. When I see a wide dispersion of numbers in a survey
          like that I begin to wonder what they have in common, like maybe a
          common destination, since I would expect to see concentrations of a
          disease. It is possible for example that the disease is not moving into
          the urban areas and that the urban folks are more mobile and bringing
          it home with them.
        • Bruce Gowens
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
            I read before coming here that Dengue was
            normally more common in urban areas. Most
            likely, I would think, because of population
            density.

            > It is possible for example that the disease is
            not > moving into

            that gives answers, not web links.
          • ojochal1
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
              that Dengue was
              > normally more common in urban areas. Most
              > likely, I would think, because of population
              > density.

              Actually it is not the density but rather the availability of two
              things: 1) what they feed on, the mosquitoes that is, which is people,
              and 2) more available breeding grounds like rain filled spare tires,
              buckets, etc and poor sanitation.Increased population of an urban
              setting is not sufficient in itself, but the conditions that can
              accompany it can be a contributor.

              Increased world travel, and other mobility issues, is another important
              variable in the spread. Also, it is drastically underreported and under
              or misdiagnosed. It is likely to be more accurately diagnosed in urban
              settings with more advanced medical facilities available.

              This kind of research is very difficult to do well.