Altitude

  • Allen Dickinson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2007
      I have a new wrist watch that, besides telling time, also has an
      altimeter function (as well as temperature, compass direction, chrono,
      alarm, and some other useful(?) features.) It was only $80 (on sale) on
      the internet. Aren't modern toys wonderful?

      However, in order for the altimeter to be useful it must be calibrated
      by setting the barometric pressure function - and to do that I need to
      know what the barometric pressure is at the location where the setting
      is taking place. I am sure the ideal place to obtain that information
      would be the airport, and I intend to go there and try and find out in
      the near future. But, in the meantime, does anyone know any other
      location where I might get barometric pressure information? Or
      alternately, the exact altitude of some Central Valley location?
    • tecman000
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2007
        You can try here
        http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/MROC.html

        Or, if someone you know has a GPS, you can get a pretty good altitude
        reading from that. Too bad I don't wear a watch. At $80.00 that sounds
        like a great deal.

        Sean
      • Jon
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2007
          > alternately, the exact altitude of some Central Valley location?

          Google Earth gives altitudes and most of the central valley is in hi
          resolution.

          http://earth.google.com/

          Jon
        • Charles
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 29, 2007
            Allen,

            At 12:00 pm CST the barometric pressure at San Jose was 29.93 in mercury. This
            can be found at almost all weather sites on the internet. Got this from The
            Weather Channel http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/CSXX0009_f.html. If you need
            a different measurement system there can be found several on the internet.

            Hope this helps,

            Charles
          • henry kantrowitz
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 29, 2007
              some wrist watches with altimiters can be calibrated at sea level without knowing the barometric pressure. it might mention in the instructions this possibility. i have had two watches with altimeters both fairly inexpensive and they could be calibrated at sea level. just an idea.
              henry