Re: [CostaRicaLiving] Tremor

  • Skollen
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 11, 2007
      >7:38pm, Escazú... Hal asked if I was running in the house. Very funny

      Felt it in Alajuela too. Hope Hal's comment was
      because you have lovely flexible wood floors.
    • Sally O.
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 11, 2007
        7:38pm, Escazú... Hal asked if I was running in the house. Very funny.
      • chris poindexter
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 11, 2007
          Just spoke to my husband in Rohrmoser, says he felt it too. Now I
          just have to convince him that the article he read regarding the
          "Triangle of Life" is twaddle. Poor thing. All alone, buzzed on
          painkillers (rotator cuff) and standing in the corner waiting for "the
          big one". I really have to get down there soon...
        • Sally O.
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 12, 2007
            > Felt it in Alajuela too. Hope Hal's comment was because you have
            lovely flexible wood floors.

            Sadly, we have lovely wood CEILINGS. The rest of the house could be a
            bomb shelter, there is so much steel and concrete here. Before
            everyone thinks Hal could possibly be so cruel as to suggest I'm phat,
            here's a fun thing to share:

            When another expat first moved down, she and her family came to our
            house for lunch. They'd parked out front and were standing on the
            stoop (which is concrete and 4' thick). They had just rung the bell
            and I was almost to the door when a Big One rolled under us - this was
            a loud rumble, STRONG vibration - our bomb shelter was shakin'.

            I opened the door just as it stopped. They were staring at me, with
            that "we are just trying to put this together" look. "Earthquake" had
            not occurred to them. And she asked, "Did you run to the door?"
          • profprairiewolf
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 12, 2007
              Also felt it here in Ciudad Colón--my husband was typing on the computer and got
              momentarily motion sick. :-) Thought I'd bumped the table as I lumbered past. What is it
              with these spouses, anyway?

              A belated hello to the group now that we're moved into our little house on Sharon & Dick's
              finca. We are Kathy, an English prof on sabbatical this year from Nebraska Wesleyan U in
              Lincoln; Richard, a landscaper happy to be taking a year off; and Alex, a soon-to-be-
              teenager who's relieved that Maia has a video game system to loan him while she is in France.
              Looking forward to meeting more folks.
            • Robbie
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 13, 2007
                Since I am from the Pacific coast of California ( basically the same
                fault line we have here is one looks on a map) I would sure miss those
                earthquakes if we didn{t have one every once in awhile.

                I did not hear anything about the location or the magnitude. Anyone
                else?

                I felt it in San Pedro, twice, it was a nice double jolt. Reassuring
                really, that my new house just sort of groaned a little teeny groan.
                I guess most houses around here have survived a few tremors, but always
                nice to know that the one you just moved into survives the first one
                with no problem. of course the art is not hung yet:-)

                it could have just been the 2 one hundred pound doggers having a spat,
                it was around whatever magnitude that a hundred pound dog would make
                falling down.

                Hugs,
                Robbie
              • marcus collier
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 19, 2009
                  I felt the temblor this morning here in Heredia.
                  It was a light one, only for a few seconds.
                  On average there are over 2,000 per year but most are
                  only detected by a machine.
                  Marcus

                • bound4cr
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 2, 2009
                    Small shaker here in Escazu at 8:11

                  • pilotswife75220
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 3, 2009

                      > Small shaker here in Escazu at 8:11

                      Also felt a bump here in Puriscal at the same time. I looked at the clock to note the time. Apparently not enough to register for USGS listings, but the OVISCORI website shows a 4.0 subduction event located 8 km northeast of Volcan Poas at that time.

                      But, I missed the 4.2 magnitude quake at 3:24 a.m., MUCH closer to home - 9 km southwest of Puriscal.

                      Connie
                      Cerbatana, Puriscal
                    • Mick
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 2 10:47 PM
                        Anyone feel the earth give a little roll at about 12:45 AM 3/3/011? Felt a big shake here in Lagunilla.
                      • Tim McHyde
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 3 4:29 AM
                          Yep. You did not imagine it. If I was not such a light sleeper in recent years I would have gladly slept right through it.

                          Tim
                        • pookiep44
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 3 4:37 AM
                            "Mick" <ed.mike@...> wrote:

                            > Anyone feel the earth give a little roll at about 12:45 AM 3/3/011?

                            I felt the bed shudder around that time, but it was so short and so small that I just figured it was my imagination.
                          • Barb Eager
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 3 6:23 AM
                              You weren't imagining things. Here's the link to the web site that gives the details of a 4.4 quake in Costa Rica at that time. I managed to sleep through this one here in Atenas.

                              http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usb0001nng.php
                            • Frances Kitten Jones
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 7, 2011
                                Edited for removal of duplicate taglines.
                                Moderator

                                Never felt it here in Atenas but it really made the glass sliding doors vibrate.

                                God bless you,

                                Frances "Kitten" Jones and all the fuzzbutts

                                Please visit our blog at http://mrbudbud.blogspot.com/

                                We're on Facebook!! Just do a friend search for BudBud Jones

                                Or see our adoptable pets at http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/CR01.html
                              • Sharon Wallace
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 26, 2013
                                  At 2:13...one moderately strong jolt...no damage I can see.

                                • livinglifeincostarica
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 26, 2013

                                    Hmmmm - I'm in Ciudad Colon (same as Sharon) & didn't feel it but I JUST looked it up & sure enough it was a 4!!!

                                    http://www.rsn.ucr.ac.cr/index.php/sismologia/sismos-recientes/1081-sismo-26-de-noviembre-del-2013-2-13-pm.