I need help with stolen vehicle advice.

  • andreascalzo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2007
      Hello,

      My husband and I were living in Costa Rica for a few months when our
      Suzuki truck was stolen from our yard. We had to return to the
      states for familial reasons before we could get the insurance money
      from the INS. We had purchased full coverage on our vehicle,
      including theft insurance. We hired an attorney from the ARCR to
      help us finish up processing our claim. He was no help at all and
      when my husband returned to Costa Rica to figure out what the hold
      up was himself, the attorney did not even know who he was. We had
      been calling him to get updates and even set up the appointment to
      see him. My husband promptly fired him and got all of our
      paperwork. He spent the next three days getting all of the
      paperwork finalized for the second time. The INS assured him that
      everything was taken care of and we would recieve our payment of
      9,000$ in two more months. It has now been four months since then
      and eight months since the vehicle was stolen. Does anyone have any
      advice for us? Is it a hopeless cause? What should we do? We know
      there is a lot of redtape in Costa Rica but is this normal? Any
      advice would be greatly appreciated. You can e-mail me at
      andreascalzo@.... thank you so much.
    • Alajuelanorth
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10, 2007
        You are supposed to be represented by the person who got the comish on
        your insurance premiums . . . where is your insurance agent?

        There is something else wrong with your picture and no, it is not
        normal . . . tedious, bureaucratic, funny, "worse than the line at BN"
        and so on but not normal . . . we subsequently have attached literal
        balls and chains to our latest vehicle not so it won't get stolen but
        rather to avoid EVER to have to visit INS again. They tell you how
        long it will take (I think 30 days AFTER you have proven to them it is
        stolen - someone correct me on that). But first you have to prove it
        is no longer yours which can be a bit of fun. Then you may have to
        visit INS HQ for reasons I found baffling and a total waste of time.
        Then you will need to attend the scoot line at your local INS office
        at least 2 maybe 3 times to do pennance for loosing your car. But
        they paid up on time and as promised once the gods of bureaucracy had
        been fully satiated. Berni