Re: [CostaRicaLiving] Re: Looking for a place to stay anywhere form Mantapalo to Dominical

  • Fred Morgan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
      Another vote for Hacienda Baru. It is amazing if you are into
      reforestation. The book is called "Monkeys are made out of Chocolate" -
      worth getting and reading for sure.

      I did the sleep overnight at the beach on News Years Eve, got to see
      Pacas and various other wildlife.
    • Paul Mitchell
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
        I would also second Hacienda Baru. I've read the owner's book, "Monkeys
        Are Made Of Chocolate", and it was a nice read, providing a lot of information
        on the natural history and ecologies of the animals and plants found on HB.

        The book also chronicles the success the owner had with ending the farming
        operations after acquiring the hacienda in the early '70s and converting the
        land back from rice production and cattle. In the process much of the native
        flora and forest began to regenerate and with it various animals which had
        not been seen for several decades, or those only rarely seen, began to
        reappear on the farm.

        I've not personally visited the place but a biologist and a commercial orchid
        grower here in Florida had nothing but positive comments about the way the
        place has been/is being reclaimed.

        If you can obtain a copy of the book and read it before making a visit it
        will enhance your experience when you do visit. I got my copy from the
        author's website. This book is worth a read even if you only are interested in
        the ecology and natural history of Costa Rica and aren't planning to visit HB.

        HTH

        Paul M.
        ==
      • simontetlow
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 10, 2007
          I can second Paul on Hacienda Baru, having stayed there twice now, the
          last time for one month. Comfortable chalets, great expeditions with
          knowledgeable guides, all the wildlife you`ll need, super beach all to
          yourself, walking distance to Dominical. One gets along just fine too
          with the prop (and author of the book) Jack Ewing, provided your up for
          his joke-of-the-day each day!