natural or low impact cleaning products?

  • sarah_joy_staude
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2007
      Hola to all!

      In the States I loved using Seventh Generation and other natural
      cleaning products (www.seventhgen.com/our_products/household.php)

      Is something like that available here? Anyone have a recipe for
      making their own?

      I feel limited by the toxic ingredients and over-perfumed options that
      are found in every supermarket (the least offensive smell I've found
      is Ajax multi-uso naranja limon). I have also tried cleaning with
      baking soda and vinegar (which I believe has to be actual distilled
      vinegar, not the synthetic kind), but my boyfriend doesn't like the
      smell of vinegar.

      I guess that if it's not available yet this is a request for the next
      Automercado wish list!

      Thanks!
      -Sarah Joy
    • Trevor Lowing
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
        http://www.bio-land.org/personalcare.html

        The shampoo I tried was really perfumy though.
      • gepp1
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
          Here is the link to their Material Safety Data sheet.

          http://www.simplegreen.com/pdfs/07_msds_simple_green_&_pad.pdf

          Note under Ecological Information
          "Environmental Toxicity Information: Simple GreenĀ® is considered
          practically non-toxic per EPA's Aquatic toxicity
          scale."

          It works REALLY well. It can be bought in industrial quantities in the
          US if you can't find it in CR. 5 gallons of the concentrate should
          last nearly a lifetime or supply 2o friends for a year.

          Regards,
          GPS Gary
        • eckel
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
            >It can be bought in industrial quantities in the
            > US if you can't find it in CR.

            The US Simple Green website links here -

            http://corporate.simplegreen.com/corp_glob_costarica.php

            as their Costa Rican global partner.

            I guess they would know where it is available in CR - perhaps you
            could even order from them directly.

            Hope that helps -

            Nora
          • al_mal99
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2007
              It's not easy being Green.

              Ok, you bring 50 pounds of environmentally friendly cleaner with you
              when you come here and then find out it is best used with hot or warm
              water. OH no, you have gone Tico and rented a house with hot water
              only in the shower. You heat water, re-plumb the house or buy Tico
              soap.

              Next, you wash your hands in cold water only bathroom sink with your
              environmentally friendly hand soap. It doesn't kill bacteria and you
              turn green.

              Many "Green" products sold in the USA assume the use of hot water.
              This is not always the way it is in Costa Rica.
            • cybersuze@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2, 2007
                Bioland also sells rather large containers of their environmentally
                friendly cleaning
                products on their website, supposedly delivered to you anywhere
                within the country.

                I figure I'll see if any of the usual places that carry their
                products have it in my new
                location and if not I will request that they do.

                I recently returned from a trip to the U.S. with one of those lovely
                squirt bottles of
                Simple Green concentrate that generally seem to last me a couple of
                years and it seems
                to be working just fine with cool water. Of course, I also add a bit
                of cloro from time
                to time if something seems especially nasty. I figure that small
                amount can't do much
                damage and is probably balanced out by the bacteria it's killing anyhow.

                May you be forever touched by His Noodly Appendage.