Further on Costa Rican marketing.

  • Roy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30, 2001
      Shall we look at a possible Costa Rican marketing scenario.
      The Slip-Shod Grocery Store Company has been doing well and
      has gotten together enough money to order a container from
      Swampy Food Products Corporation. This container has in it
      600 cases of canned goods, 200 of ‘A’, 200 of ‘B’ and 200
      of ‘C’. Why 200 of each? Just too lazy to think which might
      sell better. If ‘A’ happens to be pickled alligator
      eyeballs and ‘B’ is black cherry jam, you figure it out!

      The shelves are stocked with cans at a reasonable price.
      The public makes its choice and soon ‘B’ is sold out, ‘C’
      is selling a little and one can of ‘A’ was sold because
      someone’s child grabbed a can and threw it in mama’s cart
      unseen.

      OK. The public is screaming for more ‘B’. But of course no
      one in their right mind is going to order a partial load
      from Swampy as that would greatly increase individual unit
      costs. So, we must wait until ‘A’ and ‘C’ are sold out. And
      wait. And wait.

      Finally some smart purchase manager says, we got the money
      from half a container so I’ll find the funds for the rest
      and well get 600 cases of ‘B’. Yeah, right, except the
      initial money, during the wait, had to be put to use so was
      used to help bring in a bunch of cans of Bubble Soda! Then
      another manager type notes that they still have stock from
      the last order from Swampy. Not very profitable line so he
      moves the new funds over to cover two truckloads of local
      toilet paper.

      You, the ever patient customer, are still waiting in front
      of an empty shelf, for a new can of black cherry jam or
      whatever, oblivious to all the financial drama behind the
      scenes. Probably would make a good soap opera.

      - - - - - - - - -
      Nothing is as important as something.

      Roy
    • Patrick Hawkins
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30, 2001
        Hey, if this is the case, why are you not forming some kind of a buying coop
        and solving this problem???? Either there is a market, or not. If there is,
        capitalism has a method of filling it.

        Point one: Either there is a economic opportunity here or you are just a
        bunch of whiners.

        Point two: Fix it or accept it as a part of this wonderful country and these
        lovely people.

[...]

        For our web page: http://www.costarica.org/crliving
        To access our Corkboard click on: http://www.costarica.eboard.com

        Addresses:
        Post message: CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com
        Subscribe: CostaRicaLiving-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        COSTA RICA LIVING...PURA VIDA!

      • Willy Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 30, 2001
          Patrick:

          I don't hear a whining sound in these e-mails; we're just sharing our experiences. When you live here for a while, you'll understand better. It can be very frustrating, and sometimes you need to vent.

          I know somebody who has lived here for MANY years, and he says that Costa Rica is the center of the universe as far as he is concerned. But he still has to leave once a year, and if he gets too frustrated in the meantime, he goes and sits in the lobby of the US embassy. He's not a US citizen; he tells me there is a chandelier with 100 light bulbs in it, and not one of them is ever left burned out, so he just looks at it for a while and finds that refreshing. Is that whining? No, it's just a little thing that keeps him from going insane.

          There are lots of economic opportunities here. But, there are infrastructure problems that make some things a lot more difficult. For example, things can get stuck or lost in customs very easily. It's hard to make money when your capital is tied up in customs. I could go on, but I think you will get the point: it's different here, and you have to learn to accept it, because cultural change will happen very slowly.

          Regards,

          Willy Smith

          At 05:18 PM 7/30/01 -0700, you wrote:
          >Hey, if this is the case, why are you not forming some kind of a buying coop
          >and solving this problem???? Either there is a market, or not. If there is,
          >capitalism has a method of filling it.
          >
          >Point one: Either there is a economic opportunity here or you are just a
          >bunch of whiners.
          >
          >Point two: Fix it or accept it as a part of this wonderful country and these
          >lovely people.

        • Roy
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 30, 2001
            Patrick,

            There has been talk about a gringo buying coop for decades
            and that's right where it has stayed, as talk! It would
            take a couple of hundred people, each coughing up some
            $500, plus some work. I don't really picture the CRLiving
            Supermarket Chain as seeing the light of day in this
            century.

            Also I don't see this as whining. It's explaining. Maybe
            pondering. Alright, there's just a touch of whining.

            ___________________________________-

            A man needs a wife because sooner or later something is going to happen that he can't blame on the government.

            Roy Lent

            Roy
          • Patrick Hawkins
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2001
              I apologize as "Whining" may have been a little strong, but I though
              characterizing your Tico hosts as lazy, inept, etc was a bit strong. When it
              is turned to ask why you don't solve it, you (the collective you) have some
              valid reasons other that laziness, ineptitude etc. Perhaps these other
              reasons to at least some degree account for the situation in the markets
              there, as you Tico merchants likely have to work within the same economic
              and bureaucratic system.

              Patrick
            • costaricainfosite@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 31, 2001
                When you are raised in a country of go, go, go it is hard to adapt to
                the Tico lifestyle especially if you are 25, technologically savvy
                (okay, that's too much) and ambitious.

                I found my chandalier in the Chung San restaurant in Puntarenas. It
                was a chinese restaurant that has been there for 50 years and the son
                runs the place now. He is Chinese and studied at Chico State in CA.
                The place looked very similar to a chinese restaurant in the states
                with beautiful decorations and central air conditioning along with a
                computer that was used to give you a bill and a receipt that was not
                stamped "cancelado" and the food was great.

                He even had happy hour on Friday nights with sex on the beach and
                kamikazi shots.

                Its not whining, its adapting and it takes alot of patience and inner
                strength to do it.

                --- In CostaRicaLiving@y..., Willy Smith <numatico@r...> wrote:
                > Patrick:
                >
                > I don't hear a whining sound in these e-mails; we're just sharing
                our experiences. When you live here for a while, you'll understand
                better. It can be very frustrating, and sometimes you need to vent.

                > I know somebody who has lived here for MANY years, and he says that
                Costa Rica is the center of the universe as far as he is concerned.
                But he still has to leave once a year, and if he gets too frustrated
                in the meantime, he goes and sits in the lobby of the US embassy.
                He's not a US citizen; he tells me there is a chandelier with 100
                light bulbs in it, and not one of them is ever left burned out, so he
                just looks at it for a while and finds that refreshing. Is that
                whining? No, it's just a little thing that keeps him from going
                insane.

                > There are lots of economic opportunities here. But, there are
                infrastructure problems that make some things a lot more difficult.
                For example, things can get stuck or lost in customs very easily.
                It's hard to make money when your capital is tied up in customs. I
                could go on, but I think you will get the point: it's different here,
                and you have to learn to accept it, because cultural change will
                happen very slowly.

                > Regards,
                >
                > Willy Smith
                >

                > At 05:18 PM 7/30/01 -0700, you wrote:
                > >Hey, if this is the case, why are you not forming some kind of a
                buying coop
                > >and solving this problem???? Either there is a market, or not. If
                there is,
                > >capitalism has a method of filling it.
                > >
                > >Point one: Either there is a economic opportunity here or you are
                just a
                > >bunch of whiners.
                > >
                > >Point two: Fix it or accept it as a part of this wonderful country
                and these
                > >lovely people.

              • Paul Wessen
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 31, 2001

                   I don't see this as whining. It's explaining. Maybe
                  pondering. Alright, there's just a touch of whining.

                  We CR retirees aren't whining.   That's not manly (macho) enough.   What we do is GRIPE!   I think it's an old American tradition.   The armed forces couldn't exist without Griping.  I believe it's the basic reason for the existence of separate Enlisted-Men's and Officers'  clubhouses.  In my 25 years of teaching excperience I have never known of a school Principal walking into a teacher's lounge.     Griping is a great ventilator.  It's the equivalent of writing-to-the-editor.   And sometimes, people get wind of it and change happens.

                  What we're up against here is that the Costa Rican culture doesn't recognize the value of griping.   So we Gringos appear odd for doing so.   It's too bad for them, for these fine, gentle people--being used to being 'shepherded' for so long have become a Nation of Sheep.   Most of them seem to prefer it that way, so that's OK.  They're not going to change.  But neither are we Gringos.   So we gripe and there is a bit of tension, but it can't be all that bad, because the government keeps on inviting us (and our pensions, wallets, etc.) to come on down and live among them.

                  The differences between the two cultures--if allowed to be openly expressed--might someday make some significant changes.  Now that's a dialectic that Hegel could appreciate.

                  A man needs a wife because sooner or later something is going to happen that he can't blame on the government.

                  Roy Lent

                  Roy

                  Small business owners...
                  Tell us what you think!