Driver's License Renewal

  • hermosaparadise
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
      Does anyone know if the driver's license place
      is open Tuesday or Wednesday this week? Thanks.
    • Joe Richard
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 22 5:59 PM
        I renewed my driver's license today and thought I'd share my experience.

        This is my first renewal and I live in Grecia. I went to San Ramon to
        renew and had to find the office without a lot of Spanish language at
        my command. I asked a gentlemen walking along a sidewalk and he
        graciously directed me to the area of town. After following those
        directions another man indicated an area to park and then where to start.

        I visited a small "medical" office, a block from the license bureau,
        where a gentlemen helped me fill out the medical form and then showed
        me in to a doctor. She asked, in English, my medical history, took my
        blood pressure and gave me an eye test. The exam cost 7,000 colones.
        Time spent in her office 20 minutes. She then sent me down the street
        to a labaratory which used a lancet to take a drop of blood from my
        finger in order to find out my blood type. This cost 4,000 colones.
        Time spent in the lab, 15 minutes. I walked back to the doctor's
        office where she inserted my blood type on to my med form.

        The doctor then directed me to a bank down the street. BCR charged me
        10,000 colones to renew my license. Time in the bank, 20 minutes. I
        then drove to the license office, just down the road and was directed
        to sit and wait my turn. There were only two people in front of me.
        I then submitted my paperwork and old license and cedula which she
        made a copy of, was asked
        where I lived and directions to my house as well as my telephone
        number. The same lady then led me to the camera room where my picture
        was taken and my new license was printed and issued to me. Time in
        the license office was 45 minutes. My first license was good for two
        years and my new one is good for five years.

        Overall, I had no difficulty renewing my license and my lack of good
        Spanish did not hamper the process at all. I found everyone to be
        very patient and helpful.

        The times I listed did not include walking and driving to the various
        offices. Today is Tuesday and I arrived at 11AM and this may be why
        there were virtually no lines.
      • Saratica
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 23 3:43 PM
          Does anyone know if can I renew my driver's license in San Ramon even
          though I live in Escazú?
        • adriennesgrandma
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 23 5:40 PM
            --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Saratica" <oboykw@...> wrote:

            Yes you can renew no matter where you live...>
          • thefountainsguesthouseescazu
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 23 11:13 PM
              Speaking of drivers license renewals, for those of us from the states
              now living in CR, MANY U.S. states allow you to renew your license ON
              LINE!! I JUST got Florida one renewed after discovering it was
              getting ready to expire in a few days (I thought I had another year on
              it!!).

              Not poz how that works if it's expired though I think I saw somewhere
              you have some window.

              Thanx to olamoree for helping to save me a few hundred buckerous &
              HAVING to go back to the states.

              Soon I'll be getting my CR license!!
            • Scott Bidstrup
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 9, 2010
                I was just told by the chief of the transito police here in Cartago
                yesterday that I can get my CR driver's license renewed at BCR, just
                like the locals. He insisted that BCR now has the authority to renew
                ANY non-commercial passenger-car driver's license that was issued by
                Costa Rica, regardless of whether or not it is held by an extranjero,
                whether he holds a CR cédula or not.

                He said they can now renew any such expired license as well, provided it
                has not expired more than three years ago (but a fine of c8,800 will be
                levied on expired licenses), provided there are no outstanding unpaid
                citations on it.

                Whether that's true or not, I'm about to find out. I'm headed down to
                the local BCR branch this morning to try to get a appointment to renew
                mine (but was told to expect to wait quite some time for the appointment
                - maybe up to two months).

                Will let the list know how I make out.

                Scott B.
              • Skollen
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 22, 2011
                  I have a CR driver's license that I need to renew. What is the phone # to
                  make an appt. to renew at BCR? How long in advance should I call?

                • escazunews
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 22, 2011
                    To renew my license i call 800-BCRCITA Banco de Costa Rica (800-2272482) with my cedula number i ask for an appointment, in my case in since i live in ESCAZU, Banco de Costa Rica at Trejos Montealegre Escazu the appointment was going to be in a 1 week, while in the Banco de Costa Rica at la Uruca was in two days, maybe in Alajuela will faster

                    So I went for the medical check up thats necessary to Clinica San Gabriel in Guachipelin de Escazu TEL 22280784 where Dr Cesar Diaz ph 88737562 attended me, right there I got the blood test because it is part of the requirements.
                    The cost was 18,000 colones, if I had a document with my blood type the medical exam will be only 15,000 colones.

                    The cost for a license renewal for 5 years was 5000 colones plus $5 service charge of the bank At the bank the renewal only took me 15 minutes

                    https://www.bancobcr.com/servicios/personas/gobierno_digital/index.html#HERMES_T\
                    \
                    ABS_1_0
                  • Kerry Dressler
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 23, 2011
                      Question: Do you need to be a permanent resident to use the Bank renewal of licenses? We have work permits ( one year visas) not pensionado or residents status. It would be for the first renewal of my husband.

                      thanks.
                    • Diane
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 23, 2011
                        I just went a certain bank, showed them my license, paid 10,000 colones and received my receipt. No exam for renewal.
                      • escazunews
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 23, 2011
                          based on your comment

                          I just went a certain bank, showed them my license, paid 10,000 colones and received my receipt. No exam for renewal.

                          check the link https://www.bancobcr.com/servicios/personas/gobierno_digital/index.html#HERMES_TABS_1_0 and see the requirements
                          maybe you are refering to few years ago
                        • Skollen
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 23, 2011
                            Thanks for the reply. Looking at the web page, Daniel, what is the bono
                            they're talking about from the INS?

                            d) En el caso espec�fico de los permisos de conducir, el cliente deber�
                            presentar tambi�n una p�liza denominada �bono del conductor� expedida por el
                            INS y v�lido por el per�odo vigente del permiso.

                          • escazunews
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 23, 2011
                              I believe is for public transportation since when I did my renewal non of that came up, but you may call banco de costs rica I believe they have an operator that speaks English
                            • Myra
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 23, 2011
                                Yesterday, a few keys on my Imac 5.1 stopped working. I bought a
                                new keyboard, and that worked for a few hours only. Then the old
                                one started working, but as of this morning, neither of them
                                works. I tried all of the ports, and none of them work.

                                I don't really want to spring for a new computer right now, but
                                I need to have one. Is there anyone who might have a suggestion
                                for me?

                                Thanks,

                                Myra
                              • John Dungan
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 23, 2011
                                  I doubt if this is a Mac problem, per se. I have had this recurring problem with more than one keyboard, and my solution is to use the compressor that I have in my workshop, and just thoroughly clean it, by directing the air all over it's outside surfaces. If you don't have access to a compressor, ask at a hardware store, auto parts store, or electronics repair shop about a can of compressed air, and clean it out with that...........should be all you need.
                                • CostaRica
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 25, 2011
                                    Mac techi David Zeledon (8-853-2451) has worked miracles for me & MANY other people I've shared his info with.
                                  • Grady Bruce
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 26, 2014
                                      There is something I don't understand about updating records in the posts on
                                      this topic. The last time I renewed I did have to go to Paso Ancho because
                                      my status had changed from pensionado to permanent resident. So the number
                                      on my old license was no longer applicable. And they had to change it to the
                                      last 9 digitis of my new Dimex as a permanent resident. Now that this is
                                      done, what is there to "update"? Why wouldn't I go directly to La Uruca?
                                      What am I missing here?

                                      Grady

                                    • jckincy
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 26, 2014
                                        Your DL number corresponds to your ID number. I had to change because I first got the DL with a passport so when I got the residency DIMEX the DL number changed to the DIMEX number. So as long as your ID number doesn't change you have no changes to make. We hope!

                                      • Linda Gray
                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 27, 2014
                                          I was told that when they first issued licenses to expats using the cedula number, they did something to the number (truncated it, not sure?) to make it fit their system. Then they changed the system and those numbers no longer worked. Typical CR logic – make thousands of people jump through rather inconvenient hoops to correct something that was basically the government’s screw up. Pura Vida