Re: Correo - postal service.

  • alec kitson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007
      I'm like Janet and Sharon and others I know - no mail problems ever except a bit of a delay at Christmas. But mail always made it in both directions. It was presumed, a 'given' among expats 15 or 20 years ago, that one didn't use the mail system but I suspect such is no longer the case if it was ever true.

      Oddly, CRL is perhaps uniquely positioned for a definitive test of the mail system to and fro.

      3000+ members, at least a few hundred of whom actually read this thing, many living in the US and Canada and clearly plenty of potential correspondents in Europe and elsewhere.

      It's not only important to test for actual delivery, we should once and for all discover whether actual cash would make it intact. An 'honesty' test.

      Here's the plan.

      Everyone reading this mail a test letter containing $20 in cash ($25 Canadian, the equivalent in Euros, Pesewas and so on), to my mailbox, apdo 859, Escazu, Costa Rica. I will faithfully record the postmarks on the envelopes and the dates they arrive, and post the results of this worldwide survey on the list. Encourage your friends and family all over the world to do likewise.

      Time we got scientific around here.

      Cheers,

      Alec

    • Ken Schillinger
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007
        Good Idea Alec,
        Unfortunately you got it backwards. Send the money from CR to the US. I am a
        little overloaded, but in the group interest I will be willing to check my
        PO Box regularly for compliance. For further directions (to my PO box) and
        arrange pickup of said loaded letters send an email to ken@... and I
        will send my address and put you on "The List".
        Best Regards, Ken.
        Other ideas?
      • Sharon & Dick
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007
          Alec...the check is in the mail. <smirk>.

          Sharon
        • Judy Gill
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007
            At 12:41 PM 2/4/2007, alec kitson wrote:

            >Everyone reading this mail a test letter containing $20 in cash ($25 Canadian

            Alec, I have an absolutely mint-condition Cdn $20.00 bill with a
            really sexy, muscular, naked guy on the front holding a maple leaf in
            the appropriate place. He doesn't look at all like Wilfred Laurier,
            John A MacDonald or Robert Borden.) I'd happily send it to you (I
            mean, it's the right color and all, and looks really, really
            authentic, certainly enough to fool a would-be cash-thieving postal
            employee), but unfortunately, it would be sure to make you die from
            sheer envy of that incredible bod so I shall refrain in the interests
            of keeping your enjoyable posts coming. Not to mention the ladies to
            whom I show that bogus piece of cash. (Am I about to get bleeped for
            that last line? Huh, Janet? Huh?)

            Judy