follow-up Direct TV/ESPN progran listings problem

  • andyisguilty7
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 18, 2006
      I just got a return letter from ESPN about the problem with there
      being no program listings, on the guide, for ESPN 1 again this month.
      They gave me the following web site: http://intltv.espn.com/ and
      assured me that they do provide this information to Direct TV and to
      contact them about the problem - something many of have done, to no
      avail, FAR too many times.
      I've lived here for well over 30 years and am well used to dealing
      with lazy, unprofessional and dishonest businesses and people (Gringo
      people as well!). I expect MUCH more from an international business
      like Direct TV. Fooled again...

      Andy
      Ciudad Colon
    • ajeepsea2002
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 18, 2006
        DirecTV programing/guide is wrong with a lot of other channels, right
        now: NatGeo, ch. 730, E!, plus always being an hour off, like Casa, Fox
        MGM. AND,,,lots more narrations in Spanish, where it was first taped
        in Englis...The tech. now allows for a "switch" of language "Choice".
        I tape lots of Educational programs, on Discover channels and switch
        them to Spanish, for my neighbor's child. So why not allow the orignal
        language be an option?? Some time bach someone here wrote about his
        international DirecTV "contact" (about a new Fox comming), it didn't,
        but if that contact's e-mail is available still I would like it, I
        WILL complain daily on ALL their errors. I too wish for cable up the
        hill / road where we live. It is now 1.5 k away. We offered to buy the
        cable, for their installation, with about 15 new houses available to
        connect if they wanted..They declined
        MM

        I expect MUCH more from an international business
        > like Direct TV. Fooled again...
        >
        > Andy
        > Ciudad Colon

      • Michael Cohan
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 18, 2006
          Coincidently, a good percentage of DIRECTV's management graduated from my
          MBA school (both located in Los Angeles). If someone would craft a
          professional letter (designed to take specific action and in a respectful,
          yet direct, tone) identifying the issue, I would be happy to email it to an
          alumnus. The tone should be a different than if you were sending this into
          an anonymous person.

          Also, it would help if you could determine which functional area this person
          would be in (our alumni directory from DIRECTV has 28 different people).

          I might not be able to do this until after 1/10 because it is my busy season
          now.

        • andyisguilty7
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 19, 2006
            Dear Michael,
            I've written nice letters, called acting like a slightly bothered
            client just asking about the problem, and done my share of yelling
            and being pissed off as well because EVERY TIME I CALL I get lied
            to! Your friends must have cheated their way through school.
            When I call to report that a channel is not working or the
            programs are not listed in the guide, they always act like they don't
            know about the problem and promise to act/report my complaint.
            Absolutly no quality control on their part. Absolutly no honesty as
            well - I KNOW others have called to complain, but they STILL act like
            my call is the first.
            If you know people there who you honestly feel are professional,
            ask them to check out this and any other chat room or bulitin board
            about Costa Rica if they want to know how their clients feel - I've
            NEVER seen anything positive written about them!
            For a company who's compitition is ever expanding into areas where
            only Direct TV has been available up to now, they are doing nothing
            to keep their clients. They charge almost twice what cable costs
            and offer far less in programming. They don't even offer us new
            packages of prograsms to PAY FOR! This is exactly how a business
            goes under in the long run.
            I hope you got a better education at that school then your friends
            that work at Direct TV.

            Andy
            Ciudad Colon
          • Paul Mitchell
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 19, 2006
              Andy & Gentle CRLers,

              I really wish we didn't keep getting posts list some in this thread with seamed posters
              blowing off about how they've 'been lied to' by the ticos. It show a distinct lack of
              understanding of costarrican culture and less so of the 'quedar bien' and non-
              confrontational attitudes that ticos conserve.

              Ticos, like other Latinos, prefer not to tell you something you do not want to hear, so
              often
              will tell you what they believe you would want to hear. "Yes, we are working on the
              problem," etc.

              Also Latin culture -and even the spanish language is geared so- is such that one does not
              accept the blame for something that has happened.

              All this CAN be accepted (if you choose to do so) and can be worked around. It just takes
              longer to do in CR.

              Remember, you aren't at home anylonger. And while you are in Costa Rica are you are
              really a guest, so please keep that in mind and act accordingly. Or if you can't, maybe you
              should go back home.

              Sorry for the rant, but this gringo whine, 'I can't get these ticos to do anything' gets old
              after so many repetitions.

              ¡Pura Pensionarme!

              Paul M.
              [ still counting down 'til retirement soon ]

              PS- Sorry for the double post. The first one wan't done and I hit the enter key at the
              wrong moment. (There! I've taken the blame for something I did. ¡Qué gringo soy!)
              ==
            • Michael Cohan
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 19, 2006
                I will give this one more go and drop it. These people are not my friends,
                rather alumni of the same MBA school who at the moment I do not know. As
                such, they would give me the professional courtesy and grant me some of
                their valuable time (American culture that emphasizes time) to answer a
                politely worded email. They wouldn't waste their time reading a bulletin
                board to sift through angry complaints considering I do not have a
                pre-existing relationship with them.

                I was offering to send an email which is professionally written to see if I
                could at a minimum get an answer for you (I haven't read through the
                postings to discern precisely what is going on).

                1st paragraph - Reason why you are contacting them
                2nd paragraph - Logical, non-emotional description of the problem
                3rd paragraph - Possible solutions and thank them for looking into this.

                Considering, the response of "your friends must have cheated their way
                through school" and multiple use of CAPS (to indicate screaming), I am not
                surprised that this strategy did not result in a positive response. If
                anybody wishes to write a professionally worded letter, I would be happy to
                work with you to identify the appropriate person in DIRECTV.

                Michael

              • Jon Linn
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 19, 2006
                  I had DirecTV for years in the US and loved it. Since moving to Costa Rica almost 5 years ago I have heard or read nothing good about DirecTV here. Please write the letter, I would like to be a customer again.

                  Thanks,

                  Jon of the LostLinns

                  _,___

                  Do not confuse Standard of Living with Quality of Life

                • gotcosta
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 19, 2006
                    I hear there is an alternative, Dish Net, and you would have to pay
                    much more down to get that. I am surprised the monitors have let this
                    thread go this long. For all the good in CR, there are draw backs also,
                    just like where ever one comes from prior to moving to CR. Pick the set
                    of inconvienences you prefer, and live there. Why take up valuable
                    storage space on CRL to complain about something you can not articulate
                    well enough to send to Michael, off line? And is Direct TV a survival
                    element, or can we say it is one of those "would be nice" things, and
                    move on.

                    2nd alternative, move where there is cable.

                    3rd alternative, stop your service, most of us vote with our feet. We
                    find something else to do and they no longer have the income for a
                    service we do not receive or are unhappy with.

                    Mae
                  • Trevor
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 19, 2006
                      4th Option: If you have a decently fast internet connection you can
                      use a bittorrent client like Bitcomet to download the shows you want
                      to watch. http://www.mininova.org/ is usually a good place get shows.

                      5th Option: IPTV is starting to catch on and if you don't mind the low
                      resolution you can try out a free version like TVU :
                      http://www.tvunetworks.com/
                    • Joe Slinkman
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 19, 2006
                        Option 6: Buy a FTA box, that's FREE TO AIR and get
                        all the TV for free! You can pick up to 25 Satellites
                        with free TV. Check it out at www.dsstester.com. The
                        decoder boxes are under $200 and you use a 18" dish.
                        It's not legal in the US but there are files that open
                        up all the stations on Dish. I don't know about CR.
                        I've heard you can get all the pay per views, HBO and
                        all the premium channels plus the adult ones too.
                        Check it out.

                        Joe

                        http://mail.yahoo.com