Re: [CostaRicaLiving] Roy

  • Roy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2001
      From: mctravel2@...

      > Wonderful once again Roy....now you just have to tell me, where did
      > you learn all these tidbits of information? You certainly have the
      > ability to write well! Susan
      ____________________________

      Well I've cultivated a lot of these things at one time or
      another and having a couple of degrees in botany, I like to
      keep up with plant info of all kinds. And, of course,
      having lived in Central America for over 40 years helps a
      touch.

      My writing in the chayote article wasn't all that good
      since I did it in the early morning and managed to fill it
      with typos. BTW, in areas from Honduras and North, don't
      talk of chayote as no one will have the slightest idea what
      you are talking about. Up there this item is called
      "pataste" (from the Aztec) or, at times, "patastillo",
      except in Guatemala where it is called "guisquil". Rural
      Spanish is very poorly standardized as yet and it would be
      surprising to many how many "Spanish" words they learn here
      that are localisms and not Spanish at all. However, in this
      case, "chayote" is the best word in Spanish and has been
      carried over into English too. The Latin name is Sechium
      edule.

      Men come of age at 60, woman at 15. - James Stephens

      Roy Lent

      Roy Lent