Strange siteing

  • tecman000
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 30 12:20 PM
      I just saw 2, twin rotor - military style, helicopters fly over our
      house here in Atenas. They were heading west. Anybody have any idea
      who they would belong to or why they would be flying those kind of
      aircraft around here?

      Sean
    • barrystevens2001
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 30 3:17 PM
        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "tecman000" <tecman000@...>
        wrote:

        > I just saw 2, twin rotor - military style, helicopters

        Conjecture...

        Every so often, Sikorsky Sky Cranes or Troop Carriers park at the
        Limon Airport. Once, the two Sikorsys AND an Apache.

        Possible coincidence - on the same day(s), raids occur... in one
        such raid, people wearing DEA T-Shirts and armed men looking for all
        the world like US Marines tore apart the Puerto Viejo school -
        teachers said "looking for drugs."

        How do we know? The kids came back and told us.

        How do I know about the men who "look like US Marines?" I
        encountered several such men, in military cammies, at the local
        super. No insignia. No markings on uniforms whatsoever. Since I used
        to live near Camp Pendleton, I can tell you that these guys looked
        like US Marines. I said "Hello". They said nothing. I said "where
        are you from?" They walked away, saying nothing.

        Did I see the DEA T-Shirts personally? No. The school kids did.

        Did I personally see the helicopters parked in Limon? Yes.
        No markings on the aircraft. None whatever.

        Did I personally see the aircraft being unloaded? No.

        I asked some of the locals if this had happened before. They
        said "yes, when there's a rumor of a big drug shipment from Panama."

        You now know what I know.

        Which isn't much.

        Barry
      • Sharon Wallace
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 30 4:20 PM
          We've seen similar things over time. Once`ran into a bunch of CLEARLY U.S.
          men in fatigues actually, on the Central Plateau. One or two actually had
          nametags, as we recall...but no other identifying markings. The names were
          generic American...like one was O'Brien and one was Washington (truly).
          People refuse to believe us when we tell them this. It's happened several
          times.

          Sharon and Dick

          friends module.
        • tecman000
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 30 4:58 PM
            Thanks for the info Barry. I'll watch the news a little closer for the
            next while and see if anything happens to make sense of those 2 aircraft.

            I must say that they freaked me out. I thought they might be DEA but I
            figured that Costa Rica was a sovereign nation and would have some
            difficulty with such intrusions in their airspace. I mean, unmarked
            military aircraft? Come on now. If I were a citizen, I'd have trouble
            with that no matter who was doing what to whom and for how much.

            Wasn't there something a little while ago with Costa Rica having
            second thoughts about allowing US Coast Guard vessels dock at Puntarenas?

            Anyone else see this as troublesome?

            Sean
          • barrystevens2001
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
              wrote:

              > ... Costa Rica was a sovereign nation and would have some
              > difficulty with such intrusions in their airspace. ...
              > Costa Rica having
              > second thoughts about allowing US Coast Guard vessels dock at
              > Puntarenas?

              In informal conversation with people involved with government - an
              ex-SALA Congressman, an ex-Alcalde - I came away with
              the "impression" that there was "cooperation" between the US DEA and
              the Costa Rican police in the matter of drug shipment interdiction -
              that's a big deal around here. I also understand that there is a
              DEA office in San Jose, but I personally don't know where it is.

              And yes, also, there have been second thoughts about the treaty
              allowing US vessels and aircraft to land or dock in Limon, as
              reported in the newspapers.

              This sounds like one of those situations where no one involved
              really likes it - but it is tolerated for "the greater good".
              Intercepting those drug shipments is a priority both for the US and
              Costa Rica.

              Is it a real, or imagined, problem? A large shipment of drugs ran
              aground in a boat recently, as smugglers tried to find a way around
              the police checkpoints...

              Barry
            • Judy Gill
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
                At 05:50 AM 12/1/2006, barrystevens2001 wrote:
                >A large shipment of drugs ran aground in a boat recently

                And then there was the homemade sub... Those people were reportedly
                handed over to US authorities, though they were caught off the coast
                of CR. Must be some kind of agreement between the two countries, for
                which I'm grateful. Anything to stop the spread of the plague of
                drugs--or at least slow it down.

                Judy
              • Sharon Wallace
                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
                  The highest estimate I've seen of the % of drugs interdicted en route to the
                  US is 10%...the lowest, and far more likely, is under 1%. The DEA and its
                  equivalents in other countries are a huge waste of time and money. They do,
                  however, offer employment for thousands of people who might otherwise have
                  to get off their butts and be productive. As long as there's demand and
                  there's money to be made, there will be a drug trade. It's the work of a
                  few minutes to find your drug of choice in any city I've ever lived
                  in...from San Francisco to Ciudad Colon. I've seen no real changes in that
                  over 40 years and who knows how many billions of dollars in taxes thrown at
                  "the drug problem".

                  We saw those helicopters on the morning of the 17th, at 6 am, as we drove to
                  the airport. They were headed across Alajuela, going east. Every once in a
                  while there's a "gringo soldier in fatigues"sighting on the Central Plateau,
                  as well. When we mention it, people tell us we're wrong. Hah.

                  Sharon

                • gepp1
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
                    I'm in the process of trying to make useful maps of portions of
                    Central America.

                    One of the resources I use are satellite photos and I've noticed that
                    the photos showing border areas are more up-to-date and better quality
                    than other areas.

                    I doubt if this is coincidence.

                    Pura vida,
                    Gary In California
                  • Leo
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
                      I believe you Sharon.

                      Leo
                    • abroadincr
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
                        > Anyone else see this as troublesome? Sean <

                        Yes. We are so happy to not be living in a police state anymore, it is
                        quite troublesome to think it might be following us... But not
                        surprising. Shoot.

                        Sara T.
                      • ajhaig
                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 2, 2006
                          "In June 2002, the United States and Costa Rica signed an agreement to
                          establish an International Law Enforcement Academy-South (ILEA) in
                          Costa Rica. This agreement completed a long search by the US
                          Department of State for a Latin American country willing to host
                          ILEA-South. (2) It has yet to be approved by the Costa Rican Assembly."
                          This info is from
                          http://www.wola.org/security/pub_security_int_assistance_ilea_background.htm
                          and is kindof old. Anyone know the state of this effort of the USA to
                          gain this type of foothold in at least this Latin American country?
                          (The DEA is mentioned in the "memorandum".)
                          Arlie

                          --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "abroadincr" <saratica@...> wrote:

                          > > Anyone else see this as troublesome? Sean <
                          >
                          > Yes. We are so happy to not be living in a police state anymore, it is
                          > quite troublesome to think it might be following us... But not
                          > surprising. Shoot.
                          >
                          > Sara T.

                        • David Lovelady
                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 2, 2006
                            --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "ajhaig" <ajhaig@...> wrote:

                            Anyone know the state of this effort of the USA to
                            > gain this type of foothold in at least this Latin American country?

                            The primary manifestation of the U.S. "foothold" in Costa Rica is the
                            ongoing wave of estadounidenses moving here and warping the local
                            economy with their imported dollars. I speculate that most of the
                            folks railing against the U.S. are keeping their money there and
                            bringing it here only to drive up real estate prices.

                            If you really think the U.S. is a horrible place and want to commit
                            yourself to CR, bring ALL of your money here, invest in Costa Rica,
                            keep the profits from your investments in Costa Rica, become a
                            citizen, improve the roads, ... .

                            I, of course, will do none of those things. I prefer living here to
                            living in the U.S., but I prefer the U.S. as a respository of my
                            assets. I will soon buy my little foothold in CR (some land and a
                            house) with U.S.-based funds, I will continue to support Amercan
                            Airlines' foothold in CR, and on and on.
                          • John Smith
                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                              Sharon,

                              I agree with you wholeheartedly.

                              This idiotic war on drugs is a failure and waste of
                              money.

                              If the money were spent on education and
                              rehabilitation programs, the problem would be solved.

                              This is a MEDICAL problem, not a CRIMINAL problem, and
                              its about time it was treated as such.

                              Holland is a great success story in this, and Canada,
                              and other countries are starting to see the light.

                              Drugs are a personal tragedy, and the tax dollars
                              would be better spent to educate parents on how to
                              help their children recover from this scourge, and
                              provide treatment for those affected.

                              This is not only the only humane way to solve this
                              problem, but it is the only way that it will work.

                              What good does it do to send kids to jail where drugs
                              are even more readily available and they get recruited
                              by youth gangs in jail and become career criminals
                              instead of getting cured?

                              Toucan

                              !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Introducing...........
                              Costa Rica's FIRST Online Multimedia
                              Guidebook! We are still under
                              construction, but you can join the
                              fun and watch us grow week by week!
                              http://www.soyawannamove.com
                              !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                              http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                            • Mary Thorman
                              Message 14 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                                --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "David Lovelady"
                                <dll41745@...> wrote:

                                > If you really think the U.S. is a horrible place and want to commit
                                > yourself to CR, bring ALL of your money here, invest in Costa Rica,
                                > keep the profits from your investments in Costa Rica, become a
                                > citizen, improve the roads, ... .

                                Well, I have done so. As soon as I'm allowed to I will be applying
                                for Costa Rican citizenship. I pay all my municipal taxes, I am on a
                                committee for my street to improve our street conditions and institute
                                changes for the betterment of the residents (practically all Ticos).
                                The only other Gringos on this street are also on the committee. We
                                are all working in our different ways to help improve things that need
                                to be improved. We use our money to support ourselves, give
                                employment to others, and we volunteer in various projects as well.
                                The United States is not all that terrible. But it has been becoming
                                more and more of a police state over the last few years. It is a
                                pleasure to live in a non-militaristic country.

                                Costa Rica isn't perfect. It has many problems. We who live here and
                                love this place have a responsibility to help solve those problems.
                              • Judy Gill
                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 4, 2006
                                  At 06:53 PM 12/3/2006, John Smith wrote:
                                  >This is a MEDICAL problem, not a CRIMINAL problem, and its about
                                  >time it was treated as such.

                                  Ah, yes. Quite possibly true, but when the growing of tomatoes or
                                  cabbages pays about 1/2 of 1% of the money peasants in drug-growing
                                  countries can earn (not that the peasants themselves live well on
                                  what they make), drugs are going to continue to be grown, shipped,
                                  refined (or not) and used, and abused, and people will continue to
                                  die. All the education in the world won't keep *all* kids from
                                  getting addicted. Drugs are too easily come-by, and the pushers'
                                  prime purpose in life is to get people addicted. Nor will education
                                  prevent any addicts from getting their fixes. Clean shoot-up sites,
                                  needle-exchanges, even free methadone clinics, all the feel-good
                                  stuff my country is trying to do hasn't appeared to make a very big
                                  dent in the overall problem, any more than has the "war" North
                                  American governments have been waging. In September, the last time I
                                  was in Vancouver, there were still multitudes of lost souls wandering
                                  around in the skid road areas, dirty, unkempt, ill and dangerous; in
                                  need of more than safe shoot-up sites, needle exchanges, soup
                                  kitchens and sincere street workers. Sure, we can, as a people, decry
                                  the inhumane treatment of addicts, most of whom are jailed for
                                  stealing or killing, rather than for actually being addicts, but
                                  until the supply--and the huge amounts of cash it generates
                                  worldwide--is somehow stopped, all the rehab centers we can build
                                  help only a very tiny and determined portion of users. Recidivism
                                  among addicts who have gone through rehab remains high, so all the
                                  sympathy in our hearts isn't much use to them. Legalizing drugs and
                                  handing them out free strikes me as a lost cause, too, because I can
                                  see no end to it. Will all government give out free drugs to every
                                  addict in the world? I doubt it. And countries that do will become
                                  magnets for abusers from other places. I'd hate to see downtown
                                  Vancouver, or New Westminster, or San Francisco or whatever city you
                                  care to name become populated by millions more addicts, even if they
                                  didn't have to steal or kill to buy their next fix. They would still
                                  be addicts, and not likely to become productive members of society. Anywhere.

                                  I say go to the root of the problem, the politicians and businessmen
                                  who thrive on the huge financial gains from the drug trade.

                                  Judy Gill's dos colones
                                • David Lovelady
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Dec 4, 2006
                                    > We are so happy to not be living in a police state anymore

                                    Although you did not say so, I presume that you are referring to the
                                    U.S. Is this correct?

                                    If so, I am quite surprised. The U.S. is the most free country I have
                                    been in. When we moved to CR, we drove. We were stopped twice in
                                    Mexico by the Mexican Army just to ask who we were and what we were
                                    doing there. We were also stopped in El Salvador by their Army, again
                                    just because we looked out of place. (My wife has blonde hair, blue
                                    eyes, a fair complexion, and is very obviously a gringa). In
                                    Nicaragua we were stopped and essentially held up for $80US by a
                                    policeman, and again in Costa Rica a policeman stopped us and offered
                                    to let us go with no paperwork if we would just give him 10,000
                                    colones. And then after we got here, for as long as we had Texas
                                    plates on the car, we were stopped every week or two just for a
                                    document check.

                                    I have been interrogated more times by the police here in 5 months
                                    than in the previous 20 years in the U.S. My only stops ever in the
                                    U.S. were when I had actually broken a law, like a speed limit.

                                    There are many things to love about Costa Rica, but the absence of
                                    police is not one of them.

                                    David
                                  • abroadincr
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Dec 5, 2006
                                      Hi David,

                                      Yes, I was referring to the U.S. I looked up "police state" on
                                      Wikipedia. The U.S. is technically not a police state. Yet. It is well
                                      down that road and speeding up from our perspective. In the name of
                                      keepin us safe from terrorism, of course. I understand it's all for
                                      our own good. In a few months, when we are all required to have our
                                      national I.D. cards on us, and required to show our papers when
                                      "asked", that will be a huge step forward to keeping me safer. So I'm
                                      told.

                                      You are right: the U.S. is the free-est country in theory of any that
                                      I know of. I feel free-er here.

                                      Pura vida!
                                      Sara T.
                                    • flrealestategirl
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Dec 5, 2006
                                        Drugs can not be classified solely as a MEDICAL problem, or solely as
                                        a SOCIAL problem. An addiction is an addiction whether it is food,
                                        alcohol,video games, gambling or drugs. The person has to want and be
                                        given support to kick their particular poison....no magic bullet
                                        exists it is and will always be hard work for the addict...and their
                                        family and friends... but the strength to TRY comes from within or
                                        from powers you believe exist outside. As long as others can profit
                                        from all of our human addictions sales will continue, from the top
                                        down. Gov'ts throw money at it to appease the masses while holding
                                        their other hand out for the payoff. We must all take responsibility
                                        and if we can help one person realize that they are better off by
                                        stopping their self-destructive behavior than we have done what we
                                        can. After all, we can't change others, only ourselves.
                                        Caren in Florida
                                      • David Lovelady
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Dec 5, 2006
                                          --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "abroadincr" <saratica@...> wrote:
                                          In a few months, when we are all required to have our
                                          > national I.D. cards on us, and required to show our papers when
                                          > "asked", that will be a huge step forward to keeping me safer.

                                          Am I correct in my understanding that Costa Ricans are already
                                          required to carry their cedulas at all times, and show them when
                                          asked? I know that I am asked to show my passport several times a week.

                                          Peace,

                                          David
                                        • abroadincr
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Dec 5, 2006
                                            > Am I correct in my understanding that Costa Ricans are already
                                            > required to carry their cedulas at all times, and show them when
                                            > asked?

                                            We knew this coming into Costa Rica; it's the same in many other
                                            countries. This will be a new practice in the U.S.
                                            Sara T.
                                          • Robbie
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Dec 6, 2006
                                              The US government gave up on having the law enforcement academy in
                                              Costa Rica several years ago. It was opposed by so many that they gave
                                              up and put it somewhere else. I can't remember where.

                                              Could be that it ended up in Honduras.
                                            • momavluss
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Dec 6, 2006
                                                This was on regular news media; my wife says the news of US helicopters
                                                was on national TV, on their way to assist flood rescue in Panama, not
                                                to invade Costa Rica and establish a police state.

                                                What is surprising to me is not the presence of US military, whom
                                                regularly get flyovers, but the overwhelming presence of new American
                                                expats who apparently hate and fear the US. A phenomenon.

                                                Now, we have our own horrors in these latitudes; cast your gaze across
                                                to Caracas for starters. Or to the home invaders on the Nicoya. To the
                                                FARC in Colombia.
                                              • abroadincr
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Dec 6, 2006
                                                  momavluss wrote:
                                                  > What is surprising to me is...the overwhelming presence of new
                                                  American expats who apparently hate and fear the US.<

                                                  Not EXACTLY, for me anyway. I hate what is happening there. I fear for
                                                  my country. It's possible that we more-recent expats are having a
                                                  different experience than those of you who are long-time expats. The
                                                  U.S. Daily Life is different now. As
                                                • David Lovelady
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Dec 6, 2006
                                                    What a long and fascinating thread. Now that someone has suggested
                                                    the possibility that the helicopters were en route to privide flood
                                                    relief in Panama, I would be curious to know how many of the
                                                    originally concerned posters object to U.S. aircraft flying over CR on
                                                    their way to privide flood relief in Panama.

                                                    More generally, suppose there were, for example, a Costa Rican town
                                                    destroyed in an earthquake, and the U.S. sent aid with helicopters,
                                                    woman and men in uniforms, the whole nine yards. Would there be
                                                    wailing and gnashing of teeth on the CRL about the U.S. "foothold" in
                                                    Costa Rica?

                                                    Hmmm,

                                                    David
                                                  • rjstuff
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Dec 6, 2006
                                                      ... and the U.S. sent aid with helicopters, ....wailing and gnashing
                                                      of teeth on the CRL about the U.S. "foothold" in Costa Rica?

                                                      Oh come on David.
                                                      If I drive into my subdivision and see two police cars - I am worried
                                                      - if I find out they arrested a thief/murderer - I am happy. If I saw
                                                      an army helicopter or army personnel in my day-to-day
                                                      drives/walks/outings I would worry - knowing they are doing good - I
                                                      will go shake their hands and thank them.
                                                      Pura Vida
                                                    • Alajuelanorth
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Dec 6, 2006
                                                        David,
                                                        That is assuming they were going to Panama . . . and it seems there
                                                        were multiple sightings on multiple days - how long does it take to
                                                        fly to Panama . . . not sure?

                                                        And it is little wonder that some people who have been here since the
                                                        80's may not believe all the stories put out as covers for activities
                                                        over the years from the 60's at least . . . from the Costa Rica Reader
                                                        1989 - "training of cubans at northern ranch" "arms supplies to
                                                        contras" "building of bridges by the US army for better access to the
                                                        borders" and now Ortega is back you can be sure some old wounds are
                                                        being reopened .. .

                                                        So did they show up at a flood in Panama last week?
                                                        Berni
                                                      • tecman000
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Dec 6, 2006
                                                          It has indeed been an interesting thread to follow.

                                                          My original concerns still stand - an unmarked, military aircraft
                                                          should be cause for concern. You don't just fly an unmarked aircraft
                                                          around a foreign country for fun. It takes serious clout OR seriously
                                                          bad intentions.

                                                          In any democracy that I know of, the people own the airspace and
                                                          should have the right to know what is going on.

                                                          I've read lots of conjecture but few facts.

                                                          Sean
                                                        • barrystevens2001
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Dec 7, 2006
                                                            wrote:

                                                            > ...an unmarked, military aircraft
                                                            > should be cause for concern.

                                                            One of the people who has become an advisor to The Bridge has an
                                                            interesting history. Before retiring, he ran a program for the US
                                                            Navy, in which military helicopters and aircraft, unmarked, were used
                                                            to transport food and medical aid to foreign countries...

                                                            Can I get him to come on here and corroborate this? Of course not.
                                                            Take it for what it's worth.

                                                            Barry
                                                          • Leo
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Dec 7, 2006
                                                              The following URL has a few details about the mission, in English.

                                                              http://www.blackanthem.com/News/U_S_Military_19/U_S_military_personne
                                                              l_evacuate_2_women_2_children_in_Panama_printer.shtml

                                                              (cut and paste into your browser)

                                                              Interestingly, I have a photo of that area of Panama, from when I
                                                              spent some time there in 1995.
                                                              http://www.geocities.com/sodableach2/housesantarosa.jpg

                                                              Now:

                                                              Just as a point of interest and because I am getting sort of tired
                                                              of the stupid sounding conjecture, the 1st of the 228th Aviaton
                                                              Regiment is at Soto Cano Honduras and has been for several years.
                                                              Those of you whose experience with the U.S. Army is derived mostly
                                                              from movies and other second hand sources may be surprised to learn
                                                              this, but Army helicopters do not have really visible markings.
                                                              [Derogatory and conciliatory sounding text not really important to
                                                              this message was deleted from this spot by me, the author.]. BUT
                                                              wait, being the helpful and joyful soul that I am, here is a link to
                                                              one of my pictures,
                                                              http://www.geocities.com/sodableach2/chinook.jpg ) As can be
                                                              plainly seen, this CH 47 Chinook has no really visible markings
                                                              although I assure you, it is a U.S. Army helicopter. One last thing
                                                              to mention is that normally, Chinooks have a relatively short fuel
                                                              range and so hopping from country to country to refuel is not too
                                                              unusual.

                                                              So, I hope this helps clear things up somewhat and just to sum up:

                                                              1. U.S. Army helicopters from Soto Cano Honduras really did take
                                                              part in a humanitarian mission in the Republica de Panamá around the
                                                              end of November and first of December of 2006 due to flooding in
                                                              some northern areas close to the Atlantic side of Panamá

                                                              2. U.S. Army helicopters need to refuel enroute between Soto Cano
                                                              and Howard Air base close to Panama City.

                                                              3. U.S. Army helicopters do not have really visible markings.

                                                              Hope that helps.

                                                              Leo