Nutz : )

  • mctravel2@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2001
      Hi all

      I hear cashew nuts grow in Costa Rica. (Yum)
      Besides buying them at the "Multi Plaza" are there farms to visit
      or "retail outlets" where you can purchase them?
      Thanks Susan
    • Roy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2001
        From: mctravel2@...

        > Hi all
        >
        > I hear cashew nuts grow in Costa Rica. (Yum)
        > Besides buying them at the "Multi Plaza" are there farms to visit
        > or "retail outlets" where you can purchase them?
        > Thanks Susan
        ____________________________

        Hi Susan,

        Right on! Cashews are grown in Costa Rica but somewhat more
        for the "fruit" than the seed (nut). Locally they are
        called "maraƱon" (mair-an-yone) and most the farms that
        produce them are in the drier regions of Guanacaste.

        This is produced on a spreading, smallish tree. It looks
        like a yellow to red fruit with a green "seed" hanging on
        the bottom. Botanically, the "fruit" is actually a fleshy
        stem and the green thing hanging on the bottom is a one
        seeded fruit. Mostly the "fruit" is sweet, has a very nice
        aroma, but an astringent taste that is unpleasant unless
        you are used to it. The more rarely available dried fruit
        is jet black and delicious.

        Do not under any conditions bite into the green thing on
        the bottom. Yes it contains the seed which, when roasted,
        is the cashew nut of commerce but the outer husk of this
        structure also contains a violently poisonous oil,
        anacardia oil, which will at least put you in the hospital
        if not kill you. The raw nut is also poisonous. Roasting
        drives off the poisonous oil but in Costa Rica, the whole
        green thing is roasted resulting in a poorer quality cashew
        nut. In India and Africa, where most the world's cashews
        come from, this husk is removed and then the seed is
        roasted, resulting in a much better nut. The oil is also
        extracted from the husk and used as a pharmaceutical
        product but I'm not sure for what.

        One often sees Costa Rican cashews for sale on the streets
        of San Jose in long, little celophane tube-like bags. The
        better quality cashews are found in supermarkets and such
        and are more often Asian. In season the "fruits" are
        offered in the stores and farmers' markets. Roadside stands
        down in the Pacific lowlands often offer them in little
        wooden boxes containing a couple dozen fruit. Hope this
        helps!

        Men come of age at 60, woman at 15. - James Stephens

        Roy Lent

        Roy Lent