More on Virii

  • Haymo Henry Heyder
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2001

      Hi All,

      Due to our last experience with a virus on the list, which clearly was sent out unintentionally, let me clear up a few facts:

      1)       A mailing list is NOT SAFE from receiving or sending out a virus.

      2)       A group is NOT SAFE from receiving a virus (see our last example of the w32magistr.24876@mm, which made it through all the so-called “safety nets” of the servers).

      3)       “Virus-infected messages mostly originate from friends and relatives.”  Plain BS, since there are dedicated hack-servers, which do nothing but send out virii.

      4)       There may be amateurish voices out there that are trying to convince you of the contrary. This is dangerous information since it lulls the receiving end into the thought that anything coming from a group server (like Yahoo!) is potentially virus free. It ain’t!

      5)       Some free mail programs do offer some sort of protection if your mail goes through them, and/or originates from them, but this is more blah than truth.

      6)       You are solely responsible for your Antiviral protection!

      7)       You are solely responsible for NOT sending out an infected message!

      8)       … and, before sending out a virus warning, please visit one of the many “Hoax sites”, since many so-called virii are just a big joke, scaring people and clogging up servers (and nerves).

      We keep getting many messages on the list that just bounce off because the sender is not a member. Many of them have an individual commercial interest (like the “diplomat message”) others want to retrieve the member’s list to resell it, and others just want to hack. One of the main reasons for making the member’s list “invisible”. So, if anything afoul happens it can be just us three. And we are watching, although none of us is perfect, like Cerberus over the well being of your messages and membership.

      Saludos antivísticos,

      Haymo