canaries

  • Marcial Rhoman
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2006
      I had two canaries once. They never sang until one day I had some
      music on and they (or both of 'em) sang.
    • henry kantrowitz
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2006
        just to let you know, male canaries can take some time to start singing, the other possibility is you may have been sold a female canary. this type of practice is not uncommon in the bird trade here, especially with canaries.
        i have to agree with lauren sipone regarding the selfishness of keeping birds and other animals in cages just for our enjoyment. someday hopefully we won't think of them as just objects for our enjoyment.
        if you are going to keep this bird, i hope you keep it in a large outside aviary. this makes its life sentence of solitary confinement somewhat bearable.
        henry

      • Fred Morgan
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
          I had a canary (I am not sure what it was exactly) for a bit. I didn't
          want it but what happened was I was at a intersection and this drunk
          comes up and begs me to take his bird because he can't afford to feed it
          anymore. Instead of having the bird die of neglect, I accepted it.

          It was rather affectionate. I don't really like having anything in a
          cage, so except when it needed to stay out of the way, it was free to
          hang around me in my office. Usually choosing my shoulder. (I bet you
          can't resist commenting on THAT Alec)

          It was my hope it would eventually fly away (it would poop on my
          shoulder at times) - and after moving it down to one of the fincas, it
          did eventually do just that. I haven't checked recently, but it used to
          stay pretty close to the house.

          On another note - where we are, it seems it is pretty common for the
          locals to have talking parrots. Usually the chatterboxes are not caged
          and know that they will get fed if they hang around. They seem to enjoy
          picking up phrases - and sounds. Our caretaker has a parrot that crows
          like a rooster - among other things.

          Since we have a lot of wild parrots which descend on the various fruit
          trees every day and since the parrot hangs around without being caged, I
          assume it likes it life among humans. I was told the they way you
          "capture" a wild parrot is to talk to it every day and offer it food.
          Eventually it will start talking back, and hanging around. Not sure this
          is true, but I suspect it might be.