Ehrlichiosis in dogs

  • palomaperi
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
      I wonder if anyone has had experience with this. My son's dog is very
      sick, apparently with ehrlichiosis transmitted by a tick (though the
      initial test was negative, which is apparently not uncommon) the vet
      is treating him with doxycycline. He seems to be developing DIC, which
      is extremely serious. Has anyone had a dog recover from this?
      They have recently moved into a house in the Santa Ana area, and the
      house and yard are infested with ticks. They are trying to keep the
      grass short, and the yard cleared of all debris, but can't spray
      because my daughter-in-law is pregnant. Does anyone have suggestions
      on non-toxic tick control? Thanks so much,
      Colleen
    • Hazel Swart
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
        We use FRONTLINE for tick and flea control which is applied directly on to the dog's back (a small capsule) Works great but needs to be applied once a month. It eventually breaks the cycle of the ticks that are breeding.
        http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0045.htm
        Hope the dog recovers.
        Hazel
      • Alajuelanorth
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
          Colleen
          - sorry to hear about the ehrlichosis . . .we just had a bad tick
          event last a few weeks as well . . . this week one dog has been
          diagnosed with ancylostoma sp. (an evil little hook worm) - which is
          not transmitted by ticks but . . .

          . . . it brings up an item for anyone in CR who has a dog.

          We are having more tests as the dog has other symptoms (possibly
          ehrlichosis? . . .didnt know they named nasty animal infections after
          white house officials - novel idea for the future, I have nominations).

          What bothers me is i didn't realize that we should have given the dogs
          certain things. Perhaps someone on the board who is a vet can advise us.

          For example, it seems dogs here should have an annual feces and blood
          test at minimum. Both tick born and earth born creatures abound here.
          I had not even thought about the issue of regular deworming or worm
          check ups.

          A study of ancylostoma sp. found it in 23% of "well cared for dogs" in
          Jamaica
          <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2723384&dopt=Abstract>
          - I am guessing a lot more dogs have it in CR than we expect.

          On the ticks themselves, they have now gone as natures balance in the
          garden has rearranged itself once again.

          I am loathe to use any major insecticide attack on anything as they
          are not "precision guided" so death comes to all in the neighborhood.
          Did I mention the joboto event a year or two ago - I still have no
          idea what they are but they left too. Dog tick collars are supposed
          to be the most effective deterrent on dogs. Also this form of "little
          brown tick" seems not that interested in humans. I also have no idea
          why the ticks took off. So much to learn, so little time,

          Berni
        • Carol Emco
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
            Frontline works, but should be used with a tick
            collar. And in Costa RIca, you may have to apply it
            more then once a month. Kali

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • caballolinda2004
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
              Here's a non-toxic trick I learned from my Tico neighbors and it
              works great. Get the Clover brand of manteca (lard) and smear it on
              your animal wherever they tend to get the ticks. You don't need a
              lot, a light coating will do. For some reason the ticks don't like
              the smell of this particular brand.

              I have 4 horses and everyone gets a light application in the ears and
              under the tail every 3-4 days. I rarely see a tick, which is
              unbelievable down here. Before I started using it, tick infestations
              were something out of a horror movie. I don't see any reason why you
              can't use it on a dog, especially in their ears.

              For ticks that get into manes and tails, or other places where
              manteca just doesn't stick, I bought a little plastic tool
              called "Ticked Off" at a pet store in the US. It is basically a
              little spoon with a notch in one end. You scoop up the tick into the
              notch, which gently lifts out the critter, head and all. Great on
              those clusters (oh how gross) of ticks that we get down here, and you
              don't have to touch the little buggers with your hands.

              Finally, any time you remove a tick from your animal, drop it in a
              jar of tick poison. If you just drop the tick on the ground, it's
              only going to revive itself and multiply again and again. For really
              effective tick control, you've got to be vigilent and very very
              mean. Kill those suckas! You can get tick poison at any
              veterinaria, just ask for the stuff to "mata garabatos". It's a small
              bottle of stuff that you mix with water and can use to spray your
              yard or any particularly bad infestations on the animal (but use it
              VERY sparingly on the animal, it is toxic).