B and B recommendation

  • PELLEYA MADRAZO JOSE
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31 11:27 PM
      Hola Charles:

      www.vidatropical.com meets all your needs, walking distance to Alajela center, bus to San Jose in 15 minutes, safe, secure, quiet, friendly and reasonable price.

      Many CRL folks have visited there a time or 3.

      BTW friends: I am in Europe (SPAIN) for an extended holiday, if you want to see pictures of the trip, we are at webshots.com user name Ranchos100.

      Cheers,

      Jose
    • Skollen
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
        > > I love Vida Tropical! I stayed there a few nights on my most recent trip.
        >
        >Do you have any suggestions on how to contact them?

        I just talked to Norman at his Tex Mex restaurant (he's working so he
        can't check CRL right now) and he said he wanted to apologize and
        that you can reach them at 443-9576 or 443-9383.
      • Deb Sommer
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
          I love Vida Tropical! I stayed there a few nights on my most recent trip. Norman and Isabel are so nice and very helpful and the breakfast that Silvia cooks is incredible. It's in a very quiet neighborhood and you can as someone mentioned walk anywhere in Alajuela. Cab ride to and from the airport is quick and cheap. Norman got me set up with finding a place to buy socks (I never thought buying socks would be so difficult <g>); getting international phone cards; AND he stayed up for me when I called from Miami to say my plane might not arrive until midnight. It arrived at 2 a.m. and he still had the light on.

          The B&B is fairly small but I felt like I had the option of sticking to myself or being part of the "family" of guests. I stayed in the Parrot room (no parrot just the name of the room) and I swear that bed was more comfortable than my own. My room had a shared bath but it was no problem at all.

          Norman is also great at giving directions and helping you decide things. I had full use of their phone and computer. Norman also owns a Tex-Mex restaurant within walking distance called Jalapenos. It's a small place but the food is very good. No alcohol but you can take your own. Isabel found me a great driver who spoke English. He took me everywhere and was fun to talk to.

          I will stay with them anytime for now on when I am in that area.

          Deb

        • Sean
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
            > I love Vida Tropical! I stayed there a few nights on my most recent trip.

            Do you have any suggestions on how to contact them? I need a place to stay
            on my last night in CR. I'm emailed and used the reservation form on the web
            page twice but have gotten no response.

            Maybe they don't need any additional business?

            -Sean
          • Deb Sommer
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
              Vida Tropical - yes, call them. Norman is a little busy right now. When I was there before I left the country - he had just had surgery on his foot so had to close the restaurant for a couple of days. I'm sure it takes a lot out of him to be on that foot and run the restaurant. They are great folks - nice and also very fun when they have time to stop and breathe. My experience there was better than the resort I stayed at with my in-laws on the gulf of papagayo (one of those all-inclusive things).

              My trip was great. I rented a 4-wheel drive for several days and got to explore some places I hadn't seen before. I didn't encounter as many potholes as I recall from earlier trips which had led me to not renting a vehicle but depending on taxi's or hiring a driver. There was a certain feeling of freedom having my own vehicle - mostly because I'm not so good at planning ahead and just like to do whatever strikes me. I even managed to drive in San Jose. I had sworn that I would NOT do that but I had a friend who lives out beyond San Pedro meet me at Soda Tapia by Sabana Park and that worked fine. Then I decided to be brave and actually drive to his place in San Pedro. His phone kept ringing busy so I made it easily to San Pedro from Alajuela then stopped to get directions (I'd been there). Two places gave me directions to the wrong Peruvian Restaurant (he lives not far from the Machu Pichu restaurant in San Pedro). Finally, I found someone who knew exactly where I
              wanted to go. Boy, was he surprised when I showed up - not because I just showed up but because he thought I'd changed my mind and that I would NEVER be able to find the place on my own.

              I had a wonderful trip and wish I was still there. I'm looking at the calendar in December - next time I have at least 2 weeks off. I'm also thinking of going in with the friend in San Pedro to keep the 2 bedroom apartment he's renting. It's not the place I would pick to live but it's a fairly decent place to begin looking.

              Now does anyone know how you approach landlords/landladies about getting rid of hideous furniture? If they'll pick it up, we're willing to refurnish the place ourselves?

              Deb