car rental

  • millerma48
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 24, 2006
      To those who are looking for a relaible rental car place, you might
      want to try orbitcostarica.com. I've rented through them many times,
      never a problem.
      -Jim
    • Ron Tucker
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 30, 2010
        I have rented cars in New York and Ontario using the only drivers license I have, my Costa Rican. No problem for me, altho I don't look my age!

        We don't know what the future holds,
        but we know who holds the future!

      • bcfowlston
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2011
          We've got friends coming (on a somewhat limited budget) , and it's an age since we've had to rent a car. Any recommendations for car rental companies (or any to avoid?). thanks
        • costaricaresourceguide
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 4, 2011
            My friends just rented from Best Car Rentals in Costa Rica located in Pavas & WOW!! GRINGO-STYLE Customer Service, good prices & NO hidden fees (a BIG COMPLAINT!!) & FREE pickup & deliver (in select areas)!!!

            Juan Luis the manager speaks GOOD English!!
            (8-810-2460 / 1-800-580-3691-US/Canada)
          • fairye
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 4, 2011
              I just rented from 4by4 car rental (4x4rentacar.com) and was very
              happy--no hidden anything and if you plan on visiting southern pacific
              area , which is the area I know, then a real 4by4 is a most. These
              folks were great--met me at airport--2wks later I returned it to the
              airport--no problem --I will go w/them next time I need to rent. Ellen
            • John Ashby
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 7, 2011
                I have used Vamos car rental several times with no problems. They are located just east of the airport and will meet you with a shuttle if you wish. Last time they were out of the midsized SUV I had reserved and upgraded me to a diesel Montero at the same peice.
                John

              • Craig
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 17 4:08 PM
                  im trying to decide between poas and mapache car rentals. i know that none are perfect as i have rented from 4 different places. any recommendations will be appreciated. contact me either on or off line as i know you cant really say what you want if its bad online.... thanks for your help.... i cant wait till im staying in costa rica long enough to buy a suv and not have to rent... i have had rentals not have the car i reserved. i have had those that are scary to drive. my favorite is the ac breaking down and which could not be fixed and the rental company good enough to deliver a suv the next day 4 hours away from their location.. i was so happy... except it was delivered with a flat tire. so off i go to get the spare put on which also was flat. so i spent the whole day f$#5*ing with the car. anyway... whatever you can do for me will be greatly appreciated
                • nosliwmas
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 17 4:49 PM
                    Craig,

                    --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <rascal1q@...> wrote:
                    > im trying to decide between poas and mapache car rentals.

                    I'm sure many differ by location and phase of the moon, but I've always had great
                    luck with Tri-color. I've swapped out cars without hassle, I've brought back cars
                    broken and battered (I usually re-welded back on any pieces that I broke off) and
                    only once did I encounter a problem with a car not having a jack when I needed it.
                    That one time, the girls with us flashed a bit of leg on the highway and within
                    minutes we had enough "helpers" to lift up the car by hand while another put the
                    spare tire on... ;-)

                    That being said, I'm neutral on the volcano agency you mention and know of a time
                    when someone had to contest charges put on their credit card by the varmit agency
                    because they had the gall to fix a flat tire... Perhaps it was just a bad phase of the
                    moon for varmits?

                    As you probably already know, be sure to check the spare tire and for a jack, etc.
                    and take pictures of the car before you leave the agency parking lot.

                    Good luck!

                    --
                    Sam
                  • Al
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 17 6:50 PM
                      Also, when you rent the car make sure they quote with basic insurance - also ask them to commit to the year of the car you are renting. Some agencies will do it, others refuse.

                      Berni