Driving from Alajuela to Caribbean coast?

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1 3:32 PM
      I'll be on my second trip to Costa Rica this August and will be driving from
      Alajuela to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca. I've heard that driving through San
      Jose can be confusing. I read somewhere about a peripheral highway that
      bypasses San Jose to the north? Or would it be better to drive through
      Heredia on my way to highway 32 and the coast?

      Any directions would be greatly appreciated

      -Sean
    • barrystevens2001
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 7:20 PM
        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Sean" <seanc420@...> wrote:

        > driving from
        > Alajuela to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca. ... highway 32 and the
        coast?

        Made the trip several times. Always go east, intercepting 32 and
        heading north from there. That's possible using rpoads through the
        center pof SJ...

        I've also always cheated

        We call Pablo, our favorite driver.

        He meets us in Alajuela, guides us across.

        Saves all kinds of time.

        If you'd like contact information, send me an email.

        Barry
      • Alajuelanorth
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2 4:40 PM
          Sean,
          Let me suggest the nicest way to do it is to skip Heredia, San Jose
          and Everything confusing for an idyllic ride in the country. Just
          drive north from Alajuela towards Poas - near the top take a right
          past La Paz waterfall . . .. zoom zoom along past some of the
          prettiest scenery in Costa Rica, stop along the way at a place that
          sells freshwater shrimp overlooking the river for lunch, on to Puerto
          Viejo de Sarapiqui (you can rent a boat for an hour for $40 or less
          for some wonderful widlife but DONT LEAVE LUGGAGE IN an unprotected
          car), continue on to Guapiles and the Caribbean - it is slightly
          longer but doesn't get much better, Berni