why "el agua" Was Re: [CostaRicaLiving] Why Santa Ana is not a rock guitar player

  • John
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
      Another example:

      A friend of mine asked me why so many little hispanic girls are
      named "Mija." That made me laugh. It's the contracted form of "mi
      hija", or my daughter.
    • Paul Mitchell
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, David Fogg
        <dmfogg@...> wrote:

        > > Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 17:35:48 -0700 (PDT)
        > > From: Bob Harrington <blue74730@...>
        > > Subject: Golf
        > >
        > > By the way everyone in SJ
        > > calls Santa Ana, Santana, which seems strange to me.
        >
        > Hi Bob,
        >
        > [snip], if one word ends with the same vowel as the
        > next word begins, you drop one of the vowels and
        > pronounce the two as a unit...
        >
        > [snip] it's standard pronunciation. Spanish (like
        > French) doesn't take the pains to keep word
        > boundaries hearable that English and German
        > do, which often introduce a mild glottal stop between
        > words if they would otherwise run together.

        ~^~^~^~
        David (and Martin & Bob),

        Everything that has been reported in this thread is
        accurate. The melding of two words together like

        Santa Ana / Santana

        is properly known as elision.

        One other point made above is not true in every case...
        As far as maintaining two words separately, yes, for
        making a phrase understandable, this is often done.

        But don't forget, when we speak our own native language
        we do the same thing, eliding vowels. We just don't
        hear it amongst ourselves. For example,

        Jeet yet? (Did you eat yet?) and so on...

        Now, made aware of this you can probably think
        of a number of other examples of elision in english.

        Cheers!

        Paul M.
        [still stuck in Tampa]
        ==
      • Paul Mitchell
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
          Sorry for the partial piggyback in my previous post.

          I removed most of the earlier post but forgot a bit
          of extraneous stuff at the top.

          I'm going to stand in the corner now, for an hour or so.

          With head hung down in abject embarassment,

          Paul M.
          ==