Re: Vehicle Registration-again

  • Jeff Sanders
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
      That's some good info on the inspection part...thanks. What about
      actually getting a vehicle registered. I'm in Monteverde and was told
      I could just go down to Banco Nacional to pay for it and it would be
      ready to pick up in a couple of days. Well my wife tried to do that
      but they directed her to the INS office in Puntarenas. I just don't
      want to make the trek down there in our beater truck and have them
      say "oh, you could have taken care of this at Banco Nacional in Santa
      Elena". Any insight on this? I guess the question is: Do you usually
      need to go directly to the INS or are there other ways to get a vehicle
      registered? Thanks guys
    • olamoree
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
        When you say "getting a vehicle registered" are you referring to a
        vehicle that is already "nationalized" with Tico plates and what you
        want to do is pay the annual marchamo...tag fee?

        If so, you WILL have to have your Retive inspection first, and pass it
        and then pay the marchamo. BNCR accepted payments until Dec 30th,
        they tell me, and then it is the INS that collects it however there
        are still some banks (Banex, ProAmerica, etc.) that can accept the
        marchamo money and issue you your 2006 sticker and registration.

        The INS website at www.ins.go.cr has a listing of places where you can
        pay your marchamo under Consultas Marchamo... in Spanish....

        In Monteverde, you may need to look around as I am not familiar with
        the area. Maybe ask at a Servimas in Mas x Menos or a local INS
        agents office or a Cooperative.... hey, just spot a car/truck with the
        2006 marchamo on their windshield and ask where they got it! Hurry as
        the fines could be about ¢2,000 per DAY!

        Ali
      • Jon
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
          I assumed he was referring to getting the car registered at the time
          of purchased. In this case, you need to make sure your lawyer or
          notary has filed the transaction in the National Registry. You can
          check this by going to the site:

          http://www.registronacional.go.cr/

          Click on "Consultas",
          Click on "Bienes Muebles"
          Click on "Vehiculos"
          Click on "Placa"
          Enter your plate number

          You will see all kinds of details about the car including who the
          owner is, under "Propietarios". Hopefully, your name will be here.
          This should take effect about 2 weeks after the purchase. If not,
          give your lawyer or notary a call and chase it up.

          Jon
        • Jeff Sanders
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
            Thanks Ali - that's exactly what I needed to know. The deal is - my wife and I bought a place in Monteverde last year and we also ended up with a Toyota pick up in the deal. Or license plate ends in a 2 - which (as I understand it) means the retive needs to be renewed in February. Unfortunately we won't be back down until March - do you foresee a problem with us getting it updated past the "due date"? The annual marchamo is then due at the beginning of the year for ALL vehicles regardless of the retive due date - is this correct? Sounds like I may need to go to Puntarenas to get the marchamo - is this something that is usually processed on the spot or will I need to return at later date to pick up the sticker? I will follow your advise and simply ask one of my neighbors when I'm down next month - I was just trying figure this out before I got there since I need to budget my time with all the little stuff that needs to be taken care of. Sounds like getting the truck "legal" is
            going to be the most time consuming part. All of this would not be a problem if we were there to deal with it - but as it stands now, we are only in CR a couple of times a year. Thanks again, I REALLY appreciate it!

            Jeff Sanders
          • Charlene
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
              Does anyone know if there is an online web site to check the movie time tables for the theaters in and around San Jose?

            • Tech Goddess
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                >Does anyone know if there is an online web site to check the movie time
                tables for the theaters in and around San Jose?<

                For La Nacion.com (http://www.cinemania.co.cr/). Not sure if you need to
                register with La Nacion online first.
              • olamoree
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                  Well, Jeff, yes, almost..... the "2" means that the Retive inspection
                  must be made in February...can't you tell that by the present sticker
                  on the windshield? It should be punched for "II" with a "06",
                  otherwise, you are "out of date".

                  The marchamo (tag fee) is actually due in December for the following
                  year, not "the beginning of the year", after that you are illegal and
                  fines and interest apply. Does it have a 2006 marchamo? If the
                  vehicle is not driven while "illegal" there probably is no problem.
                  If NO 2006 marchamo, you will have to have the Retive inspection
                  BEFORE INS will accept the marchamo payment. For the Retive
                  inspection, see my other posting today about Retive. Get an
                  appointment via their online site, www.rtv.co.cr print it out and if
                  you get stopped on the way to Retive, you can show that you are on
                  your way and that might save you a ticket. After PASSING the Retive
                  inspection, you can go directly to the INS, pay the marchamo, get the
                  sticker on the spot and apply it to the windshield! If you take
                  enough money, and KNOW you will pass the inspection, you can do both
                  in one trip..... You can see how much your marchamo will be by
                  checking the INS site at www.ins.go.cr and that will give you the cost
                  for that moment.... fines and interest are added daily...

                  Yes, the marchamo is due in December for ALL vehicles and the Retive
                  inspection is due according to the last number of your plate.... 1 in
                  January to 0 in October.... November and December are "catch up"
                  months.....

                  Another comment about "rural" vehicles which may have suffered
                  suspension and ball joint problems between inspections (and others
                  playing in the CR potholes). There is a guy that rebuilds ball joints
                  for ¢2,500 in a tiny shop, 100 east and 25 north of the old Cine
                  Lebano....compare that to ¢15,000-¢30,000 for new ones! Good work as
                  mine are on their third year and still tight. He even installs an
                  Alemite fitting so that you can actually grease them! In that same
                  area are rubber moulders that make a wide variety of replacement
                  rubbers for shocks and other suspension and body parts....

                  Ali
                • Harry S. Pariser
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                  • John Smith
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 7, 2006
                      It's in Spanish, but go to:

                      http://entretenimiento.co.cr

                      --- Charlene <gringuita_nyc@...> wrote:

                      > Does anyone know if there is an online web site to
                      > check the movie time tables for the theaters in and
                      > around San Jose?

                      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Introducing...........
                      Costa Rica's FIRST Online Multimedia
                      Guidebook! We are still under
                      construction, but you can join the
                      fun and watch us grow week by week!
                      http://www.soyawannamove.com
                      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • costaricalivinginfocentralvalley
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 8, 2006
                        > Does anyone know if there is an online web site to check the movie
                        time tables for the theaters in and around San Jose?

                        Movies:
                        THE BEST INCLUDES ALL CINEMAS IN COSTA RICA
                        http://www.navegalo.com/cinemas/index.php?lang=en

                        &

                        http://www.entretenimiento.co.cr/entretenimiento/cine/cine.asp

                        Multiplaza Escazu & Multiplaza del Este
                        http://www.cinemarkca.com

                      • Loyd Newton
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 8, 2006
                          A word of caution about the online movie time tables....they're often
                          incorrect. I decided to go to a movie today and I checked the movie times
                          online. It stated that the movie "Munich" started at 3 PM at both Mall
                          Cariari and at the Paseo De Flores. I went to the Mall Cariari where I
                          found the movie actually didn't start until 4PM. Since I had plenty of
                          time, I went to the Paseo De Flores where it was almost correct...it started
                          at 3:10 PM. I've had this happen several times for the online guides and
                          the time tables in La Nacion also.

                          Good luck,
                          Loyd