Re: Vehicle Registration--- the Inspection Part.....ReTeVe

  • olamoree
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
      They have a web site, www.rtv.co.cr that has all the info needed, in
      Spanish of course, and where you can get an appointment, usually the
      best policy as there are LINES for those who appear without a cita and
      are integrated slowly between those with an appointment. There are
      several stations in the San Jose area, Heredia, Alajuelita and San
      Miguel being the "most comfortable" that I have found but their map is
      mistaken, it is the NEXT exit and then to the left after 7 Mares and
      you double back to RTV. Make sure you have your paperwork and cedula
      or you will be rejected at the window (before paying...lol). The
      inspection is "fair" but thorough.... license plate lights, bent or
      illegible plates, windshield wiper sprayer, ball joints, unbalanced
      brakes, all those little things that you may overlook. The initial
      inspection is almost ¢10,000 and re-inspections within the first 30
      days of your rejection are at 50% off... about ¢5,000.

      Political comment: While many march in the streets to decry "private
      monopoly" and to try to recover the inspection process for private
      garages where you can "pay-to-pass", I have not heard/seen any
      "considerations" possible at RTV which means that at least the
      vehicles that pass RTV were okey at the moment of inspections. Sure,
      there are those who "rent" tires, safety equipment, even whole
      engines! so that one can pass.... but others (almost 100,000!) just
      don't bother and calculate (correctly) that it is cheaper to bribe the
      traffic inspector the times that they get stopped rather than pay the
      ¢50,000 to ¢500,000 in marchamo and inspection per year..... At least
      MORE vehicles are mechanically safer than before RTV.... now what we
      need is an inspection process for the DRIVERS!

      Additional comment: In consideration of "bringing your dear old
      Suburban" to Costa Rica, bear in mind that first, the import taxes on
      your old favorite will be "surprisingly" high and after it is
      registered here, it may NEVER pass the RTV inspection! The rules of
      the inspection are applied to your vehicle according to the year it
      was IMPORTED, NOT the model year! Your 1982 gas hog brought to CR in
      2006 will probably NOT meet the more severe 2006 requirements and you
      may not be able to get the necessary parts to bring it up to 2006
      requirements. I quickly add that my 1979 Subaru brought to CR in 1979
      has never failed to pass but if I brought it in in 2006, I would be on
      the bus! It has seat belts, but NOT retractables... failed. It has
      80 watt headlights but now the requirement is 120 watts... failed. So
      you see, here in CR, it depends.......

      Ali
    • Jeff Sanders
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
        That's some good info on the inspection part...thanks. What about
        actually getting a vehicle registered. I'm in Monteverde and was told
        I could just go down to Banco Nacional to pay for it and it would be
        ready to pick up in a couple of days. Well my wife tried to do that
        but they directed her to the INS office in Puntarenas. I just don't
        want to make the trek down there in our beater truck and have them
        say "oh, you could have taken care of this at Banco Nacional in Santa
        Elena". Any insight on this? I guess the question is: Do you usually
        need to go directly to the INS or are there other ways to get a vehicle
        registered? Thanks guys
      • olamoree
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
          When you say "getting a vehicle registered" are you referring to a
          vehicle that is already "nationalized" with Tico plates and what you
          want to do is pay the annual marchamo...tag fee?

          If so, you WILL have to have your Retive inspection first, and pass it
          and then pay the marchamo. BNCR accepted payments until Dec 30th,
          they tell me, and then it is the INS that collects it however there
          are still some banks (Banex, ProAmerica, etc.) that can accept the
          marchamo money and issue you your 2006 sticker and registration.

          The INS website at www.ins.go.cr has a listing of places where you can
          pay your marchamo under Consultas Marchamo... in Spanish....

          In Monteverde, you may need to look around as I am not familiar with
          the area. Maybe ask at a Servimas in Mas x Menos or a local INS
          agents office or a Cooperative.... hey, just spot a car/truck with the
          2006 marchamo on their windshield and ask where they got it! Hurry as
          the fines could be about ¢2,000 per DAY!

          Ali
        • Jon
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
            I assumed he was referring to getting the car registered at the time
            of purchased. In this case, you need to make sure your lawyer or
            notary has filed the transaction in the National Registry. You can
            check this by going to the site:

            http://www.registronacional.go.cr/

            Click on "Consultas",
            Click on "Bienes Muebles"
            Click on "Vehiculos"
            Click on "Placa"
            Enter your plate number

            You will see all kinds of details about the car including who the
            owner is, under "Propietarios". Hopefully, your name will be here.
            This should take effect about 2 weeks after the purchase. If not,
            give your lawyer or notary a call and chase it up.

            Jon
          • Jeff Sanders
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
              Thanks Ali - that's exactly what I needed to know. The deal is - my wife and I bought a place in Monteverde last year and we also ended up with a Toyota pick up in the deal. Or license plate ends in a 2 - which (as I understand it) means the retive needs to be renewed in February. Unfortunately we won't be back down until March - do you foresee a problem with us getting it updated past the "due date"? The annual marchamo is then due at the beginning of the year for ALL vehicles regardless of the retive due date - is this correct? Sounds like I may need to go to Puntarenas to get the marchamo - is this something that is usually processed on the spot or will I need to return at later date to pick up the sticker? I will follow your advise and simply ask one of my neighbors when I'm down next month - I was just trying figure this out before I got there since I need to budget my time with all the little stuff that needs to be taken care of. Sounds like getting the truck "legal" is
              going to be the most time consuming part. All of this would not be a problem if we were there to deal with it - but as it stands now, we are only in CR a couple of times a year. Thanks again, I REALLY appreciate it!

              Jeff Sanders
            • Charlene
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                Does anyone know if there is an online web site to check the movie time tables for the theaters in and around San Jose?

              • Tech Goddess
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                  >Does anyone know if there is an online web site to check the movie time
                  tables for the theaters in and around San Jose?<

                  For La Nacion.com (http://www.cinemania.co.cr/). Not sure if you need to
                  register with La Nacion online first.
                • olamoree
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                    Well, Jeff, yes, almost..... the "2" means that the Retive inspection
                    must be made in February...can't you tell that by the present sticker
                    on the windshield? It should be punched for "II" with a "06",
                    otherwise, you are "out of date".

                    The marchamo (tag fee) is actually due in December for the following
                    year, not "the beginning of the year", after that you are illegal and
                    fines and interest apply. Does it have a 2006 marchamo? If the
                    vehicle is not driven while "illegal" there probably is no problem.
                    If NO 2006 marchamo, you will have to have the Retive inspection
                    BEFORE INS will accept the marchamo payment. For the Retive
                    inspection, see my other posting today about Retive. Get an
                    appointment via their online site, www.rtv.co.cr print it out and if
                    you get stopped on the way to Retive, you can show that you are on
                    your way and that might save you a ticket. After PASSING the Retive
                    inspection, you can go directly to the INS, pay the marchamo, get the
                    sticker on the spot and apply it to the windshield! If you take
                    enough money, and KNOW you will pass the inspection, you can do both
                    in one trip..... You can see how much your marchamo will be by
                    checking the INS site at www.ins.go.cr and that will give you the cost
                    for that moment.... fines and interest are added daily...

                    Yes, the marchamo is due in December for ALL vehicles and the Retive
                    inspection is due according to the last number of your plate.... 1 in
                    January to 0 in October.... November and December are "catch up"
                    months.....

                    Another comment about "rural" vehicles which may have suffered
                    suspension and ball joint problems between inspections (and others
                    playing in the CR potholes). There is a guy that rebuilds ball joints
                    for ¢2,500 in a tiny shop, 100 east and 25 north of the old Cine
                    Lebano....compare that to ¢15,000-¢30,000 for new ones! Good work as
                    mine are on their third year and still tight. He even installs an
                    Alemite fitting so that you can actually grease them! In that same
                    area are rubber moulders that make a wide variety of replacement
                    rubbers for shocks and other suspension and body parts....

                    Ali
                  • Harry S. Pariser
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                    • John Smith
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 7, 2006
                        It's in Spanish, but go to:

                        http://entretenimiento.co.cr

                        --- Charlene <gringuita_nyc@...> wrote:

                        > Does anyone know if there is an online web site to
                        > check the movie time tables for the theaters in and
                        > around San Jose?

                        !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Introducing...........
                        Costa Rica's FIRST Online Multimedia
                        Guidebook! We are still under
                        construction, but you can join the
                        fun and watch us grow week by week!
                        http://www.soyawannamove.com
                        !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • costaricalivinginfocentralvalley
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 8, 2006
                          > Does anyone know if there is an online web site to check the movie
                          time tables for the theaters in and around San Jose?

                          Movies:
                          THE BEST INCLUDES ALL CINEMAS IN COSTA RICA
                          http://www.navegalo.com/cinemas/index.php?lang=en

                          &

                          http://www.entretenimiento.co.cr/entretenimiento/cine/cine.asp

                          Multiplaza Escazu & Multiplaza del Este
                          http://www.cinemarkca.com

                        • Loyd Newton
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 8, 2006
                            A word of caution about the online movie time tables....they're often
                            incorrect. I decided to go to a movie today and I checked the movie times
                            online. It stated that the movie "Munich" started at 3 PM at both Mall
                            Cariari and at the Paseo De Flores. I went to the Mall Cariari where I
                            found the movie actually didn't start until 4PM. Since I had plenty of
                            time, I went to the Paseo De Flores where it was almost correct...it started
                            at 3:10 PM. I've had this happen several times for the online guides and
                            the time tables in La Nacion also.

                            Good luck,
                            Loyd