Looking for an exotic herb

  • barrystevens2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2006
      No, not the kind one smokes...

      Astragalus

      also named by the Chinese name "huang qi"

      the roots are used to "strengthen the immune system", and
      are "effective for Chronic lung weakness", according to the
      book "Perscription for Nutritional Healing", by James F Balch, M.D.,
      and Phyllis A. Balch, C.N.C.

      One of the Bribri kids coming to The Bridge, 10-year-old Alejandro,
      lost one lung at 6 months of age to TB, and now is susceptible to
      many forms of respiratory infection.

      So we're trying to find Astragalus.

      We wrote the name down and brought it to a big supermarket owned by
      a Chinese couple. They knew the herb, and what it's for. But they
      didn't have any, and didn't know where it could be bought.

      Anyone out there have suggestions on where to find it in Costa Rica?
      Please reply offline, since I don't know if this is a good
      discussion topic here.

      Barry Stevens
      Co-Founder, El Puente - The Bridge
      The Bridge provides educational assistance, food assistance, and
      microloans mainly to indigenous people in the southeastern part of
      Costa Rica. Our goal is to help people help themselves to self-
      sufficiency.
      See us at http://www.elpuente-thebridge.org
    • jeanoh
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2006
        Looking for an exotic herb

        No, not the kind one smokes...(

        Astragalus

        also named by the Chinese name "huang qi"

        Hi Barry

        You might look at the Arc farm.

        Shortcut to: http://www.lospatitos.com/arkherbfarm/index.htm

        Jeano in downtown Tambor
      • José Trejos
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
          Orégano brew has been traditionally used in Costa Rica to strengthen
          respiratory system.

          --
          _
          / \ CAMPAÑA DEL LAZO ASCII - CONTRA EL EMAIL EN HTML
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
            barrystevens2001 <barrystevens@...> wrote:
            No, not the kind one smokes...

            Astragalus

            also named by the Chinese name "huang qi" If it is a herb that is also used for cooking I would try the owners of the resturante Ding Hoe ( not sure that spelling is correct) but its the best Chinese resturant in San Jose, You never know???? Cheers Joe