Vehicle Registration

  • Jeff Sanders
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 31, 2006
      Can somebody tell me the procedure for getting a car registered. I was
      told I'll also need an inspection of some sort - is this a safety
      inspection? How long does all this take? My last question: can the
      owner of the vehicle have somebody else do this - or is owners'
      singnature required on some of this paperwork.

      much-ass grassy-ass

      Jeff
    • drew1dc
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 31, 2006
        Jeff:

        "Reteve" or "Revision Technica" are the inspection people with
        branches around the country. The closest one to San Jose (I believe),
        is in Alajuela just past the airport heading North/northwest on the
        InterAmerican Highway.

        I just went this past week. I think you need to go yourself because
        they´ll want to see your drivers license and passport (or cedula).
        It´s both a safety and emissions inspection. Make sure you get a tune
        up before going and make sure your muffler is good (no holes in it
        like mine). They´ll check all your lights, high beams, door locks,
        windows, brakes and much more. Also, make sure you have a jack in the
        trunk or somewhere. It´s a pretty detailed inspection and many
        people, including me, fail the first time.

        Oh, you also have to make sure you have the car´s registration (placa)
        and Reteve paperwork from last time it was inspected. Do what I did,
        bring a Costa Rican with you just in case you need help communicating,
        etc.

        Good luck.

        Andrew
        www.AngelValleyFarmBandB.com
        www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/AndrewNCostaRica
      • Jon
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 31, 2006
          The owner of the car does not have to take it to Riteve for the
          inspection. It can be anyone. My wife's car has had an inspection
          the last two years. Both times someone else took the car in. The
          last time was our mechanic who knew someone there, so he did not need
          an appointment.

          Jon
        • olamoree
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
            They have a web site, www.rtv.co.cr that has all the info needed, in
            Spanish of course, and where you can get an appointment, usually the
            best policy as there are LINES for those who appear without a cita and
            are integrated slowly between those with an appointment. There are
            several stations in the San Jose area, Heredia, Alajuelita and San
            Miguel being the "most comfortable" that I have found but their map is
            mistaken, it is the NEXT exit and then to the left after 7 Mares and
            you double back to RTV. Make sure you have your paperwork and cedula
            or you will be rejected at the window (before paying...lol). The
            inspection is "fair" but thorough.... license plate lights, bent or
            illegible plates, windshield wiper sprayer, ball joints, unbalanced
            brakes, all those little things that you may overlook. The initial
            inspection is almost ¢10,000 and re-inspections within the first 30
            days of your rejection are at 50% off... about ¢5,000.

            Political comment: While many march in the streets to decry "private
            monopoly" and to try to recover the inspection process for private
            garages where you can "pay-to-pass", I have not heard/seen any
            "considerations" possible at RTV which means that at least the
            vehicles that pass RTV were okey at the moment of inspections. Sure,
            there are those who "rent" tires, safety equipment, even whole
            engines! so that one can pass.... but others (almost 100,000!) just
            don't bother and calculate (correctly) that it is cheaper to bribe the
            traffic inspector the times that they get stopped rather than pay the
            ¢50,000 to ¢500,000 in marchamo and inspection per year..... At least
            MORE vehicles are mechanically safer than before RTV.... now what we
            need is an inspection process for the DRIVERS!

            Additional comment: In consideration of "bringing your dear old
            Suburban" to Costa Rica, bear in mind that first, the import taxes on
            your old favorite will be "surprisingly" high and after it is
            registered here, it may NEVER pass the RTV inspection! The rules of
            the inspection are applied to your vehicle according to the year it
            was IMPORTED, NOT the model year! Your 1982 gas hog brought to CR in
            2006 will probably NOT meet the more severe 2006 requirements and you
            may not be able to get the necessary parts to bring it up to 2006
            requirements. I quickly add that my 1979 Subaru brought to CR in 1979
            has never failed to pass but if I brought it in in 2006, I would be on
            the bus! It has seat belts, but NOT retractables... failed. It has
            80 watt headlights but now the requirement is 120 watts... failed. So
            you see, here in CR, it depends.......

            Ali
          • Jeff Sanders
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
              That's some good info on the inspection part...thanks. What about
              actually getting a vehicle registered. I'm in Monteverde and was told
              I could just go down to Banco Nacional to pay for it and it would be
              ready to pick up in a couple of days. Well my wife tried to do that
              but they directed her to the INS office in Puntarenas. I just don't
              want to make the trek down there in our beater truck and have them
              say "oh, you could have taken care of this at Banco Nacional in Santa
              Elena". Any insight on this? I guess the question is: Do you usually
              need to go directly to the INS or are there other ways to get a vehicle
              registered? Thanks guys
            • olamoree
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
                When you say "getting a vehicle registered" are you referring to a
                vehicle that is already "nationalized" with Tico plates and what you
                want to do is pay the annual marchamo...tag fee?

                If so, you WILL have to have your Retive inspection first, and pass it
                and then pay the marchamo. BNCR accepted payments until Dec 30th,
                they tell me, and then it is the INS that collects it however there
                are still some banks (Banex, ProAmerica, etc.) that can accept the
                marchamo money and issue you your 2006 sticker and registration.

                The INS website at www.ins.go.cr has a listing of places where you can
                pay your marchamo under Consultas Marchamo... in Spanish....

                In Monteverde, you may need to look around as I am not familiar with
                the area. Maybe ask at a Servimas in Mas x Menos or a local INS
                agents office or a Cooperative.... hey, just spot a car/truck with the
                2006 marchamo on their windshield and ask where they got it! Hurry as
                the fines could be about ¢2,000 per DAY!

                Ali
              • Jon
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                  I assumed he was referring to getting the car registered at the time
                  of purchased. In this case, you need to make sure your lawyer or
                  notary has filed the transaction in the National Registry. You can
                  check this by going to the site:

                  http://www.registronacional.go.cr/

                  Click on "Consultas",
                  Click on "Bienes Muebles"
                  Click on "Vehiculos"
                  Click on "Placa"
                  Enter your plate number

                  You will see all kinds of details about the car including who the
                  owner is, under "Propietarios". Hopefully, your name will be here.
                  This should take effect about 2 weeks after the purchase. If not,
                  give your lawyer or notary a call and chase it up.

                  Jon
                • Jeff Sanders
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                    Thanks Ali - that's exactly what I needed to know. The deal is - my wife and I bought a place in Monteverde last year and we also ended up with a Toyota pick up in the deal. Or license plate ends in a 2 - which (as I understand it) means the retive needs to be renewed in February. Unfortunately we won't be back down until March - do you foresee a problem with us getting it updated past the "due date"? The annual marchamo is then due at the beginning of the year for ALL vehicles regardless of the retive due date - is this correct? Sounds like I may need to go to Puntarenas to get the marchamo - is this something that is usually processed on the spot or will I need to return at later date to pick up the sticker? I will follow your advise and simply ask one of my neighbors when I'm down next month - I was just trying figure this out before I got there since I need to budget my time with all the little stuff that needs to be taken care of. Sounds like getting the truck "legal" is
                    going to be the most time consuming part. All of this would not be a problem if we were there to deal with it - but as it stands now, we are only in CR a couple of times a year. Thanks again, I REALLY appreciate it!

                    Jeff Sanders
                  • Charlene
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                      Does anyone know if there is an online web site to check the movie time tables for the theaters in and around San Jose?

                    • Tech Goddess
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                        >Does anyone know if there is an online web site to check the movie time
                        tables for the theaters in and around San Jose?<

                        For La Nacion.com (http://www.cinemania.co.cr/). Not sure if you need to
                        register with La Nacion online first.
                      • olamoree
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                          Well, Jeff, yes, almost..... the "2" means that the Retive inspection
                          must be made in February...can't you tell that by the present sticker
                          on the windshield? It should be punched for "II" with a "06",
                          otherwise, you are "out of date".

                          The marchamo (tag fee) is actually due in December for the following
                          year, not "the beginning of the year", after that you are illegal and
                          fines and interest apply. Does it have a 2006 marchamo? If the
                          vehicle is not driven while "illegal" there probably is no problem.
                          If NO 2006 marchamo, you will have to have the Retive inspection
                          BEFORE INS will accept the marchamo payment. For the Retive
                          inspection, see my other posting today about Retive. Get an
                          appointment via their online site, www.rtv.co.cr print it out and if
                          you get stopped on the way to Retive, you can show that you are on
                          your way and that might save you a ticket. After PASSING the Retive
                          inspection, you can go directly to the INS, pay the marchamo, get the
                          sticker on the spot and apply it to the windshield! If you take
                          enough money, and KNOW you will pass the inspection, you can do both
                          in one trip..... You can see how much your marchamo will be by
                          checking the INS site at www.ins.go.cr and that will give you the cost
                          for that moment.... fines and interest are added daily...

                          Yes, the marchamo is due in December for ALL vehicles and the Retive
                          inspection is due according to the last number of your plate.... 1 in
                          January to 0 in October.... November and December are "catch up"
                          months.....

                          Another comment about "rural" vehicles which may have suffered
                          suspension and ball joint problems between inspections (and others
                          playing in the CR potholes). There is a guy that rebuilds ball joints
                          for ¢2,500 in a tiny shop, 100 east and 25 north of the old Cine
                          Lebano....compare that to ¢15,000-¢30,000 for new ones! Good work as
                          mine are on their third year and still tight. He even installs an
                          Alemite fitting so that you can actually grease them! In that same
                          area are rubber moulders that make a wide variety of replacement
                          rubbers for shocks and other suspension and body parts....

                          Ali
                        • Harry S. Pariser
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                          • John Smith
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 7, 2006
                              It's in Spanish, but go to:

                              http://entretenimiento.co.cr

                              --- Charlene <gringuita_nyc@...> wrote:

                              > Does anyone know if there is an online web site to
                              > check the movie time tables for the theaters in and
                              > around San Jose?

                              !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Introducing...........
                              Costa Rica's FIRST Online Multimedia
                              Guidebook! We are still under
                              construction, but you can join the
                              fun and watch us grow week by week!
                              http://www.soyawannamove.com
                              !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • costaricalivinginfocentralvalley
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 8, 2006
                                > Does anyone know if there is an online web site to check the movie
                                time tables for the theaters in and around San Jose?

                                Movies:
                                THE BEST INCLUDES ALL CINEMAS IN COSTA RICA
                                http://www.navegalo.com/cinemas/index.php?lang=en

                                &

                                http://www.entretenimiento.co.cr/entretenimiento/cine/cine.asp

                                Multiplaza Escazu & Multiplaza del Este
                                http://www.cinemarkca.com

                              • Loyd Newton
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 8, 2006
                                  A word of caution about the online movie time tables....they're often
                                  incorrect. I decided to go to a movie today and I checked the movie times
                                  online. It stated that the movie "Munich" started at 3 PM at both Mall
                                  Cariari and at the Paseo De Flores. I went to the Mall Cariari where I
                                  found the movie actually didn't start until 4PM. Since I had plenty of
                                  time, I went to the Paseo De Flores where it was almost correct...it started
                                  at 3:10 PM. I've had this happen several times for the online guides and
                                  the time tables in La Nacion also.

                                  Good luck,
                                  Loyd